Beginners guide to making money, mild economy spoilers
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Beginners guide to making money, mild economy spoilers

This game is money hungry! I've figured out a decent strategy at the start to get the money rolling in. Wondering if anyone else starting wants a blue print for getting a basic income going?

Last edited by NidPuterGuy on Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:31 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I can use all the help I can get. Post away.
Mark Twain
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:33 am
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

The plan

The idea here isn't to give away the whole game. Just get people some money coming in so they can play.

My strategy copied from somewhere else but better detailed is:

Do first two missions. Sell equipment off of the express before speaking with Kho or whatever her name is after picking up the Boron. This is critical.

This is where there are different approaches.

I bought a Solar Power plant and had it follow me to kingdoms end. Save before placing it. Kingdoms end is two jumps north and one west and one north of Argon Prime. The first time the mammoth rammed me using the follow command. Be careful and save. Place it in the middle of the area.

I upgraded the top end of my Mercury. Installed trade 1 and 2 software and fixed the hull. I then had it fetch crystal and sell cells until I got enough money to sell it and buy a Manta. You might have enough money to sell the Mercury at the beginning and buy a Manta off the get go. Don't upgrade cargo space it's a waste of money, IMOP. When buying Mantas all you need is speed upgrade. Trade 1, Trade 2.

Keep buying Mantas. I have 2 selling cells and 2 buying crystal. Jumps are set to 1. Purchase price on crystal is 1684. This causes them to buy cheap at trading stations. Set selling price to something like 19 initially when you have one Manta. Other traders will come but another SPP gets built bye someone later then you need to lower the price until you get two Mantas. Once you get one Manta to sell cell and one to buy crystal set the price to a min of 20 so you get the profit and if anyone buys you get good money.

That's what I'm doing right now. I don't think we want to put many other spoilers in this thread. If someone has a similiar strategy I think it would be good to post it though or other ideas or mistakes I might have or be making.

Enjoy!

PS: I use SETA a lot and just watch TV or what not waiting for money. Easier than endless trading to still not have enough money.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:52 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

I wouldn't buy an SPP immediately, but once I did, your procedure is the best. First, I bought a Manta al the necessary software, including best buy/sell and traded Silicon and energy. This made me large amounts of money VERY quickly and easily, but it is NOT sustainable. THEN, I bought my first SPP. Every now and then, I run a Silicon trade circuit to top up my cash reserves.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:04 am
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

ideas

You might be right about that. Get the Manta(Keep the discover) first off. Trade some then get the SPP. Might have enough money to get another Manta when you get the station to.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:11 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Thanks for the ideas. This may turn into a "wealth" of information for everyone just starting.
Mark Twain
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:34 am
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Number of Mantas

I'm not so sure you need 4 Mantas for one SPP. I'm going to try two and set my jumps to one and see how that works. Maybe lower my selling price to 19. See if I can pick up any independent traders.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:18 am
corwin

Currently, I only use 2, but there are times when 3 would be useful. @ for selling and one for buying. You shouldn't ever need 4.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:34 am
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

personally i buy at the begining a wheat farm and place it in the wall where's there energy a plenty there's almost no wheat farm in the argon sector and most of the times u can sell it at good profit
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:46 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

some of my most profitable SPPs run four or more Mantas. There are plenty of places to sell within a jump or two and if they're spaced out somewhat they won't try and rush for the same spot...

factories with one seller in my game always have a surpluss of energy cells and make 100k an hour or so...

factories with four or more sellers are always empty and the money keeps flowing in. plus they typically only get 256 energy cells each because they're fighting for them at your factory... so if one gets itself Khaak'd then you're only out 5000 credits instead of 20,000. Not that either makes you feel better about losing the 150,000 manta.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:10 pm