Planescape: Torment
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Planescape: Torment

I hear here a lot about this game. I know that I can read reviews. I am starting to think that I missed something important when I missed this one.

I must say that BG2 was a little bit too complex and hard for me. I loved IWD but I like also games harder and more complex than IWD. So tell something more about Planetscape...

Thanks for info.
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:01 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Planescape was truely ground breaking. Things happened in that game that I haven't seen done before and that I have yet to see done again. You can check out the Locus Inn here for a lot of interesting stuff like character information and a summary of the game. It was truely a gem of a game.
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:09 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Planescape focusses more on story, and less on 'super battles' like Baldur's Gate II. There's a lot, a LOT, of reading to do... and the story makes the game (the voice acting and character interactions help too).

You're immortal, so hey... you can't die. This has an effect on winning fights, naturally. You do tend to wake up pretty far from where you were, though (people have an annoying tendancy to come across your corpse and take it to the morgue, for example)... so dying isn't something that should replace a quicksave necessarily.

Story wise, it's more complex than BG2... but play wise, it is not. Since the big emphasis IS on story, the battles are there to hinder your progress, but not stop you if you're determined.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:12 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

quote:
Originally posted by Val
You can check out the Locus Inn here for a lot of interesting stuff like character information and a summary of the game. It was truely a gem of a game.

*Myrthos gives Val a big smooch on the cheek*
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:41 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I know a lot about Locus Inn, I like it and I read nearly all articles there.

What I didnt find there and what I am awaiting here are personal impressions, opinions, big smooch on the cheek etc.
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:48 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by Myrthos
*Myrthos gives Val a big smooch on the cheek*

I'm learning.
My personal impression. Brilliant dialog. The best dialog I've ever seen in a game. And the way your character stats effect the dialog is great too. It's sort of like an interactive novel where you get to be the main character and your intelligence and wisdom effect how you can respond. You can also change your class around, which I thought was very unique. The NPCs are beyond believe! They are so fun that several times I literally had to stop and hold my sides I was laughing so hard. You've got to love Morte and his dialog with the girls or any girl for that matter! Plus he has that great ability: The Litany of Curses! Great for taking out mages by the way.
If you like a great story and lots of interesting interaction with NPCs with a wierd twist, then this is the game for you.
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:24 pm
Volourn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

PST is a very good game. Ignore the pathetic protagainst, imo, and you'll enjoy the game immensely. Combat is irrelevant, and most (not all) the npcs are terrific. The story, while seemingly unoriginal, has some nice added touches. Get this game.
Post Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:32 pm
HolyWarrior

Planescape

Torment is the only Black Isle game I have ever finished, as BG and ID are tedious bores. Torment takes every fantasy convention and stands them on their heads, and there is actually some THINKING for once in this game.
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:57 am

I've started playing Torment recently, but got discouraged. The atmosphere is too morbid. I don't mind Morte, but what's with all the blood clots, rats tails, corpses lying open everywhere, etc? Does the game gets less morbid as you get to other places? I like alternative settings (I loved Fallout), but Torment's is too morbid! Is it like that the entire game? Do I have to rely on blood and cockroaches to improve my health (instead of health potions, etc)?
Post Sat Jun 29, 2002 10:10 pm

EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

For the most part, yes. It's part of the uniqueness of the Planescape setting. It's not for everyone, that's for sure.

It doesn't get 'lighter' as time goes on... if anything, it gets darker. The name of the game IS torment.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 1:15 am