RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Val's review

can be found right here.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:58 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Nice review Val Almost makes me want to buy the game!
Post Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:17 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Almost?
Post Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:57 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Not bad.

As usually with the release of new game every site tries to post it’s own reviews. Of course I read them in case I’m undecided if I want to buy this product or curiosity what other people think about the game I like. Now nobody likes to read bad reviews of the game you enjoy right now.

Few days back I came across with really bad review for DD, but what pissed me of the most was that the guy was constantly comparing this game to Prince of Quin (spelling?). Prince this, Prince that, DD this, DD that, this was as much I could stand. IMHO it’s never fair to compare games publicly(unless you are ask to ), of course everybody has some favorite ones and can say it wasn’t as good as (put your game here), but there are some limits.

Most of the gamers (us) play for fun, so the main part of the review should concentrate on controls, story and how fast you can learn to live in that universe, just cold facts damn it. Later if someone give a rat a** write something about graphics and sound but it shouldn’t reflect the overall ratings.

Now with the release such game as Morrowind or Dungeon Siege I can just read the next review *well graphics are nice but it’s not spectacular* and then I see this page of crap how bad the visuals are. I guess I sound a little bitter, oh well must be the weather.
Post Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:43 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Well, i can't find anything wrong in Val's review.

quote:
Originally posted by Seth
...Few days back I came across with really bad review for DD, but what pissed me of the most was that the guy was constantly comparing this game to Prince of Quin (spelling?). Prince this, Prince that, DD this, DD that, this was as much I could stand. IMHO it’s never fair to compare games publicly(unless you are ask to ), of course everybody has some favorite ones and can say it wasn’t as good as (put your game here), but there are some limits.

I think i have read that review too, and IMO is one of the "not very good" review out there. He commented as though he only previous CRPGs is Prince of Qin, nothing else. Sheesh.

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
Nice review Val Almost makes me want to buy the game!.

You can get additional gamer reviews at PC Gamer...
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:18 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I tried not to compare the game too much to any others. However, I wanted to make it crystal clear that this game was not some Diablo clone. I've played Diablo clones. This isn't one of them.
The only other comparisions I made were to NWN (concerning sheer variety in how different you can make your character look) and Ultima 8 (which was a jumping puzzle nightmare and could have seriously used the same gameplay and feel as Divinity).

@Ekim: Almost?!
Okay, I can understand that. But be sure to pick it up when it drops in price at least. Or tell the relative that always gives you the worst gift every year for Christmas that this game would make a very nice gift.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 6:07 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Yep, nice review Val.
I know many of us mention "Diablo 2" as a "yuck-word" when we talk about CRPG's, but there is an obvious homogeneity when we talk about combat. The perspective, the fighting style, the shortcut to potions, the healt/mana bar of your character, the monsters health line above, the way you highlight items with "ALT" key, and the way you pick them up, Items power describtion, Attributes and their influence on what you can use of weapons and armour. I personal think it's okay to point out this uniformity on these issues, but it's also important then to tell that DD is so much more by pointing out the other good RPG-elements, which "Diablo 2" not have.

I don't know if it should be mentioned in a review, because it may be revealing to much of the game, but somehow one should mention lets say, the less impressive ending (approx. 1/5 of the game, after becomming the "Divine one"), where the game falls right down on "Diablo 2" level IMHO. I'm ofcourse not sure "Val" feels the same way about the game, or one should mention it at all, as it may draw the focus away from an otherwise excellent game.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:11 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I agree, Diablo introduced many great gameplay features. Since Divinity has a similar interface I mentioned it so people would get a feel for how small the learning curve for the controls are.

To be honest I blasted through the last areas of the game. I was trying to finish and I got a bit caught up in the urgency of stopping the Black Ring as soon as possible. So I made a beeline for the last dungeon as fast as I could. The only thing I thought was that some of these monsters were a lot easier to kill and some of the Black Ring were refreshingly challenging. I didn't spend 1/5 of my total game time in the last area. It'd be lucky if it was 1/20 of the total time I spent.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:37 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

As to the last part of the game after becoming the Divine one, Lar stated at the official forums that they lacked time to make them more interesting. He even suggested that the game could have ended after becoming the Divine one.
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:10 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Well , Val after more considerable thought, I guess you right that after becomming the Divine one you only need much less than 1/5 of the game. I'm not sure how much compared to the rest of the game, but I would say around 5-7 hours. It's not much, but as you say, you just try to get through the area as fast as possible, because their is nothing interesting besides getting to the black ring!

@Myrthos: The lack of time from the developers would explain a lot in those regards, but I guess we would also complain if it ended by becomming the divine one, without settling the score with the black ring!
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:26 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Yes, but it would also scream sequel!

Of course, the regular ending where **spoiler!!!**

...your character does not kill the kid also screams sequel.
So, any news yet on Divine Divinity 2?
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 7:32 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

No not really. There will be a version 2 when a publisher will fund it. My guess is that we first will see an add-on, either free or to pay for. There were some things removed from the game, that would be nice to have in a sequel.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:35 pm