Mages?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Mages?

I was reading some possibilities for easy character game play on the other forums and I notice that mage is tough cookie to beat. I admit I have low opinion about mages, because they have very little hit points and casting spells takes too long, so any simple-minded fighter could take the mage any day.

And yet people who know how to play that character can take two swordsmen at the same time, how is this possible? Turn based I can see that happening time stooping and finger of death or something in that mode and 1 guy is gone and half from the second. But in real time like BG’s or IWD you want to cast a spell but you have this guy with intelligence lover that amount of rings on his fingers, slashing and disrupting your spells, so how to play that mage against that?
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:25 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

Mages are VERY cool. Usually they need a meat shield, liek the pets they summon. But often times they will cast time stop, then cast 3 or 4 spells quickly, and they will fire off before the fighters can say, "look, there is a mage!"

Insta death I usually go for the fighter/mage hybrid, which REALLY makes for some nice death dealin... I summon a simulacrum, and when our spells are out we slice and dice

Don't you feel better now?
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:15 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Mages are hopeless at very low levels unless they have someone to protect them. At higher levels, they beat out tanks easily if you know what you're doing. Protective spells are necessary and so are speed spells. It's actually easier with 3E since you get concentration and combat casting enhancements which allow you to cast while being attacked.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:18 pm
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

The easiest path of beeing a mage is in BG2. You don't start from the first level and you already have some good spells like: fireball, lightning, stone skinn, mirror image, web, fire arrow and a couple of others. And when you reach high levels you become really powerfull. Ofourse in BG:TOB it's even easier
Post Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:28 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Nothing compares to a high level wizard when it comes to challenging foe. There's a reason most 'bosses' are wizards. So if you get in on that you become the most powerful character of all.

Truth: In my pen and paper D&D game the party (6 characters level 16) defeated 8 level 10 Hill Giant barbarians and a level 18 Ettin Cleric (the cleric never saw it coming, thanks to quick thinking by the rogue). They were beaten, battered, but alive and with more than half their spells left. THat battle was, by the books, supposed to beat them into goo. But their foes were all fighter types (except the cleric, who got suckered by a bluff check into turning both sets of eyes away from the rogue, who had used a wand to turn herself into a fire giantess 'reinforcement'. He had exactly two seconds to lament the mistake before she backstabbed him with a giant sized axe... three times). The battle took about 10 rounds, which is a long combat.

Last night and the night before they were attacked by the lich that had hounded them since level 1... it was payback time. The lich was level 21, which is a difficult fight by the books... but not 'supposed' to be as hard as that massive amount of giants was.

The combat was 40 rounds long... and ended with the rogue permanently paralyzed, the bard a pile of dust blowing in the wind, the cleric down to her last spells (clerics are pretty tough in 3e, as a side note... thanks to her healing powers she was able to endure well over 700 magical damage over the course of the fight... she has 170 hit points...). The ranger never got to even attack (the lich was flying and had a shield up that stopped physical attacks). The fighter also never got to physically attack. The player wizard blew all his spells and ran like hell.

So that was one crippled, one dead, one depleted, one fled to another plane (!), and two useless. The lich had to spend 10,000 experience healing himself with wish spells to stay in the fight, and had burned out every spell he had from level 6 to 9, most of his 3rd, and several 1st... but he was still raring to fight... with about 20 spells or so left to attack with. And a teleport handy to get away.

Yes... wizards are that much more challenging than anything else of their 'level'.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:06 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Wizards are ussually my characters (or main characters of my parties). Maybe this is reason why I think that nearly all AD and D games are too difficult :].
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:29 pm