Nvidia Vs Radeon!!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Oric
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Nvidia Vs Radeon!!!

Nvidia Vs Radeon...same as saying Ford Vs Holden really. My question is at the end, so if u want to skip the scenario (2nd par.), thats were my question is.

Both companies are quite equal in performance ive heard, although through my experience Nvidia has allways been better. Ive got a GeForce Fx5700LE 256Mgs, which I bought January last year. But now im thinking: My poor CPU might nto be able to handle a certain game, I wont say which one (lol, guess! ). I deciding on which one to buy, newest Radeon or Newest Geforce. Ive allways used Geforce cuz im not a fan of Radeon, but reading the recent reviews, im not too sure anymore of which is better.

So, which would be better to buy: newest radeon (I believe is X1900), or the newest Geforce (i think is 7800GTX)???

Thx ahead.
Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:32 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Newest NVidia is 7900 line (btw, I heard it is not really available, however 7800GTX availability is not better).

I think the suggestion here is pretty simple -> If you have enough money to throw them away by buying the top-of-the-line GPU, I strongly sugest to review your priorities. How about buying 6800GS and sending the rest of your money to (lets say) Sudan? There is no use in feeding the fat GPU producers.

Last edited by Danicek on Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:57 am
Oric
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
Newest NVidia is 7900 line (btw, I heard it is not really available, however 7800GTX availability is not better).

I think the suggestion here is pretty simple -> If you have enough money to throw them away by buying the top-of-the-line GPU, I strongly sugest to review your priorities. How about buying 6800GS and sending the rest of your money to (lets say) Sudan? There is no use in feeding the fat GPU producesers.

lol, i like the way u explained it.
Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:16 am
MasterLich
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

AGP vs. PCI-Express

Hi,

correct me if I'm wrong, but I suppose your NVidia FX5700 is an AGP card. You can't get the top models of NVidia or ATI at the moment to fit into your AGP slot, you will need a motherboard with a PCI-Express slot. I believe the fastest card you can still get as an AGP version is the abovementioned 6800GS unless they have made a 7800GS at NVidia, don't remember.
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:42 am
Oric
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: AGP vs. PCI-Express

quote:
Originally posted by MasterLich
Hi,

correct me if I'm wrong, but I suppose your NVidia FX5700 is an AGP card. You can't get the top models of NVidia or ATI at the moment to fit into your AGP slot, you will need a motherboard with a PCI-Express slot. I believe the fastest card you can still get as an AGP version is the abovementioned 6800GS unless they have made a 7800GS at NVidia, don't remember.

very observant of you...yeah its AGP, although in my situation its probably irrelevent because i will be buying one of those P4 EE 3.8GHZ processors (hopefully) + new motherboard (or "ParentBoard" for all you politically correct ppl... ), so i will still have to decide whether I want AGP or PCI-E. Any Suggestions???
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:49 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Man, I see that you want to feed not only those fat GPU giants (by buying 7900GTX or 1900XTX) but also that even fatter CPU Intel giant (by buying EE CPU).

Anyway, I suggest you buy two 7900GT for SLI (GTX is sadly not supported for SLI configuration).

Also Dell is supposed to ship their 4 GPU based mastodont systems. They sell around 10000$ per piece. That could be the right way for you. This way you can get 100 fps from your Oblivion game instead of too low 60 fps for 1500$ PC :]]. That is what I call good value for your money.
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:11 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Benchmarks I've seen would suggest the X1900XTX is probably the fastest on balance and availability is better. That said, I've had less driver issues with nVidia than ATI, so I would tend to choose nVidia.

Another thing to consider is DX10 cards. I know it's hard to balance all this but I decided to get a 6800gs rather than spend too much on a DX9 card.
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:22 pm
MasterLich
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: AGP vs. PCI-Express

quote:
Originally posted by Oric
so i will still have to decide whether I want AGP or PCI-E. Any Suggestions???

If you're buying a new motherboard/whole computer, then PCI-E is your only choice, it's a faster bus anyway.
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:33 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
Another thing to consider is DX10 cards. I know it's hard to balance all this but I decided to get a 6800gs rather than spend too much on a DX9 card.

That was my choice as well. Though currently there might be other possibilities such as 7600 series (if available).
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:40 pm
Oric
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

X1900XTX sounds good!!!
or, two 7900GT in SLI mode also sounds good!!!

That should last me for the next 15 years...
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:23 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

I personally prefer nVidia because it's the less troublesome option IMHO. I'd hate it if a new game comes out that I really want to play but I can't because my graphics card is acting up.
There are, of course, not many games with issues like that but if and when it happens, it almost always seems to be ATI cards where something isn't working as it should (missing textures, display bugs, crashes...).
Sure, ATI is supposed to have the better image quality but it's not really noticeable in my opinion (or 'in my eyes' rather ).
If you have a PCIe slot on your mainboard, then I'd get a 7900GT at the moment and if you have AGP then I'd look into getting a 7800GS (both available under US$/EUR 300,00).

Also, if you're planning to get a new board, then -yes- PCIe all the way and I'd seriously recommend to get an Athlon64 instead of a PIV. Athlon64 is the much better CPU for gaming. It's cheaper, faster and it requires A LOT less power and cooling.
AMD is launching a new socket (AM2) in June though so you might want to wait for the new generation of Athlon64 boards.
Intel will be releasing a much better CPU (less power consumption, less heat and more performance than A64) by Q4/2006.
If I were you, I'd maybe get a good socket 939 board now (ASUS nForce4-based) and an Athlon 64 3500+ (best price/performance ratio).
Then sit back, relax and wait for Intel's and AMD's new CPUs that will be coming out in Q4/2006, Q1/2007 when Vista and DirectX 10 will become available, too.
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:37 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

+1

Buy nVidia for less trouble and AMD because they surpassed Intel as the technological leader.
Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:06 pm
pink-hippo
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

ATi == poor support (as in extremely poor) for Linux == p.h.a.i.l.e.d.
Post Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:07 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

My last video card was an ATI and I'll never buy another one again. I had a lot of problems with it that seemed to be related to the drivers or some compatibility issue. I have an Nvidia 6800 GT and it's still holding its own nicely. I would definitely get an Nvidia unless you can find an outrageously low price on top of the line ATI.

Also, I agree with the previous opinion about AMD chipsets. I used to have AMD, and when I built my current computer for PCI Express, I got a Pentium 4 motherboard. It's ok, but I think AMD chips work better for games, and they seem to be a better value for the money.
Post Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:10 pm