Usergroups
Need new Video Card
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

my father bought the 128 MB (radeon 9200). i tryed to install the software, but the ATI driver won't install.
Post Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:47 pm
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

Strange, does the card have the latest drivers. Maybe some newer drivers from internet work better.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:43 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

Try getting the newest Catalyst (3.10) directly from ATI's site.
Post Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:39 pm
poindexter1985
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

[Edit] I see now that you've already bought yourself a card and, looking at the time stamps, my reply to this thread is way too late. Oh well. [/edit]

If you can manage to swing a Radeon 9600/9600 Pro/9600 XT within your budget, you're getting great performance at a relatively low price. For the cheapest cards you can still get new, Radeon 9100 or 9200 will get the job done. Neither card will handle DX9 shaders, but they should survive with DX8 effects. The Geforce FX 5200 might look tempting, due to its claim to support DX9, but it really doesn't. It might be able to understand DX9 instructions, but that doesn't mean anything because it sorely lacks the muscle to execute them. All in all, the entire Geforce FX line loses out to the Radeon 9xxx line, except arguably the high-end cards that you probably can't afford.

If you're cool with eBay or other second-hand sources (I don't trust second-hand parts, myself), go with what has already been suggested and pick up a Ti 4200. Don't bother with any other Geforce4 cards, though.

And don't bother with any 256 MB cards, either. Unless you can afford a Radeon 9800 XT or Geforce FX 5950, you'll end up with a card that isn't using all the memory to best advantage, and probably never will.
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:27 am
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

quote:
Originally posted by Neo_Genesis
my father bought the 128 MB (radeon 9200). i tryed to install the software, but the ATI driver won't install.

I had a similiar problem, solved it by first letting Windows scan for a driver itself with the driver CD in the reader, and after that installing the driver manually.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:32 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2