Question about respawning
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Question about respawning

In gothic 2, do critters respawn or does the game simply add them between chapters?

In gothic 1, critters don't really respawn. The game just add more. There is a big difference. If critters die and come back to life, that's respawning. For example if a location has 4 field raiders and you leave them all alone, and their numbers didn't change between chapters. Lets say if you wack them all, and 2 come back to life between chapters, then you know the game respawn the dead ones.

If you leave them all alone, and they increase in numbers between chapters, then the game simply add them.
Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:27 pm
rcarter3
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

It seems to me that the monsters, and orcs don't truly respawn in the sense that if you leave the ones present in the game they are numerically the same in later chapters as they were in the earlier ones. However that being said I have yet to test that theory across the board. In the instances where I have deliberately left monsters around to check it out I have seen an increase in the number rather then the number just staying static.

But to be honest I assume (we all know what that does for us) that when people use the term "respawn" they mean monsters/orcs are back in the same general area as before irrespective of whether or not that would net a numeric increase in the total number of monsters/orcs or just a maintaining of a static number of them.

But to make a long post even longer, it seems to me that the spawning of new creatures is what happens in Gothic II just as it did in Gothic I.
Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:51 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

The reason I asked this question is - to reach a really high level in this game, do I need to wipe out as many creatures as I can in chapter 1. If monsters respawn, then the answer is yes. every monsters you leave behind is potentially experience points wasted. If monsters don't respawn but just add, then no. You can wait until you come back from valley of mines to tackle the more difficult ones.

In gothic 1, the only monsters that respawn the entire game are the stone golem on the bridge and the troll. If you kill them in chapter 1, they come back in chapter 3. Everything else just add. In gothic 1, a lot of people try to get to level 16 before they advance further. That really isn't necessary. I got to level 19 in chapter 1, and it doesn't make any difference in the end.
Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:34 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

It's a combination of both. In Khorinis the new animals are sometimes respawning like a new wolf in chapter 2 on the way to Akils farm, but also new creatures are sometimes add.
For example near the gate to the pass in Khorinis, a few bloodflies will appear in chapter three but there were no bloodflies there in the chapters 1 and 2.
In the VoM, the Orcs around the castle are add. I once killed a lot of them in chapter 2 and new appeared, another time I left them alone in chapter 2 and there were a lot more in chapter 4 than in the game where I killed some of them in ch2.
Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:53 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well most of the beasts are added and some really minimal onez are respawning
Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:14 pm