BG II tips for a newcomer?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
DevilsBane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

BG II tips for a newcomer?

WOW this game just spits out tasks like a damn spitfire!!!

One minute I am a wandering clueless dude, next thing I have a full party and so many job offers I dont know what to do next??

A girl Nalia offered me a job rescuing her family in some manor which was attacked in the country, but on the way there I was waylayed by slavers, and then this half dead poisoned guy asked me to carry him back to the city docks area to his freind, who then turns out to be a harper, and this other guy has a friedn lost inside so I agree to take a look. and THEN the harpers wont let me in until I do another task LOL

Uhh I still havent completed the original quest in the manor outside the city i weas on my way too before getting waylayed in the first place!!

Is there any order I should do things, or is best to do things? Canm I just leave the docks and come back later after I have finished the quest I was going to do for Nalia?

I guess that is ok right, I dont HAVE to do them all straight away, I have an infiltration for the slave leader to do as well !!

I dont know where to start.

Also any gameplay tips for me from the masters? I am VERY new to this kind of RPG, i have never played ANY infinity based RPGS before, and well not many RPGS at all

Hints, tips, good habits, winning ways, get rich quicks, nice Items to keep, good places to buy/sell?

Anything at all you have discovred

Well not huge spoilers though, I dont want to ruin the game, just general good tips
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:52 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

There's no set order you have to go in while you are in Chapter 2. Just remember, if you have to reload several times, then you should probably try a different area.

Tips:
Your journal is your friend. There will often be hints there and the map it useful for finding places in the city.
Find a bag of holding as soon as you can put your hands on one.
Keep all of the good magic items you find, you never know when you'll need a shield that will reflect beholder attacks.
There is a dwarven smith in the docks district who can forge some very nice items for you.
There are some NPCs who won't mix well. (i.e. the paladin Keldorn and the drow Viconia) Other combinations can provide humorous results.
Fireballs are a magic user's best friend. Magic missile is great for interupting enemy spellcasters.
Explore and complete as many quests as you possibly can. This will give you both valuable experience, money and items.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:56 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Glad that you enjoy BG 2, which was also the sequel to BG1.

Tips:

1)Press the space bar to pause the game - useful when combat become too hectic, or need to strategically positioning your party members to fight tough opponents.

2)If you go to Nalia's castle, don't forget to bring some fire arrows or weapons that does fire damage (the only way to kill trolls).

3)Always use save/load, especially before dangerous combats/encounters.

4) When your butt got mercilessly kicked in certain quest - then your party is too weak to handle the quest, so go for other missions first to level up your party members.

5) Always refer to journal as Val said - the finish & unfinish quests section is very useful.

Last edited by Remus on Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 6:48 pm
DevilsBane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

OK Thanks.

How about my PArty. I have what seems an OK party but I want to Take Nalia because she seems like a pretty tough Mage, but who to drop?

AT the moment I have

Aerie (mage/cleric)
Anomen (fighter/cleric)
Yoshimo (Bounty Hunter)
Jaheira ( Fighter/Druid)
Minsc (Ranger)

And of course Myself as my favorite Single Class Fighter, human male

Nalia is Thief/Mage and I hear she is pretty usefull to have around. Who should I trade out for her to keep a balanced party?

I need the lock/trap[ skills of at least one theif, but then Yoshimo has his uses also.

Is this a good party I have, how can I improve it and make it more balanced?

I have no experience in putting together an adventuring party LOL

OHhh and while I am on the subject...I am DEEPLY concerned about the relationship between one of my party and a certain small furry mamalian creature called BOO!!!!

Extremely strange...but funny
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 6:53 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Personally i will drop Anomen out, and if you want Yoshimo then you not necessarily need Nalia. However i keep Nalia because i can get useful mage spells (fireball, stinking cloud) early. I also will keep Aerie, Jaheira and Minsc. That's five include yourself, another one you could pick Paladin, or mage, or thief. It's good idea to keep Yoshimo since Nalia's thieving skills is not very good.

Tips: In your quest/adventure you'll meet several NPCs that want to joint you, it's good idea to make a save first, then take the character in, check his/her stats and if not better than your recent party members in corresponding roles (thief, mage, etc), just reload the game.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:17 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

I would also drop Anomen. I would take Nalia over Yoshimo. I would argue on fighter/male selection but it is a matter of preferences after all. And finally I would play BG1 for more Boo-related-stuff

Really, DevilsBane, consider playing BG1. It is very good, too. It pays little less attention to personal relations within the party, but it is very deep and non-linear, and fun.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:58 pm
Gish
Almighty Gish
Almighty Gish

yeah try BG1, I actually liked it more than BG2.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:55 pm
shai_aus
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by stanthony
I would also drop Anomen. I would take Nalia over Yoshimo. I would argue on fighter/male selection but it is a matter of preferences after all. And finally I would play BG1 for more Boo-related-stuff

Really, DevilsBane, consider playing BG1. It is very good, too. It pays little less attention to personal relations within the party, but it is very deep and non-linear, and fun.

Anomen CAN be a good character, if he makes the right choices...
But I don't like him. He really annoys me, and that's enough for me to kick out a party member.

Yoshimo is the BEST recruitable thief in the game (mainly because he's the only one that isn't dual-classed), so if you want someone that can sneak, detect and set traps, you should keep him around for as long as possible.

Now for Nalia, or, as I like to call her, "Imoen-replacement". Going by stats alone, Imoen trumps Nalia hands down, and she's a better thief to boot. I never needed Nalia for anything; you can do the castle quest without her in your party. If I had to choose between her and Yoshimo, I would choose Yoshimo, at least until you go rescue Imoen.

And if I needed a mage, I'd go and get Jan Jansen.
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:07 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

I agree, I’d rather have Yoshimo or Anomen then Natalia.
There’s nothing to worry about with Boo, he’s just the world’s only miniature giant space hamster, and he is very clever.
As for tips on game play, I’d do as many of the quests in the city before setting out to the various wildernesses. The city quests seemed much easier to me.
Also, it’s pretty tough to do, but you can get one of the best weapons in the entire game very early. It’s a katana called celestial (something). And since one can backstab with katanas, for someone who plays a thief or assassin like me, it’s a real must have.

***Spoiler about the afore mentioned sword.***
If I remember correctly it’s in the Temple district, in a house in the southern section of the map. If you go into the house there will be a couple people arguing about traps, and they will tell you to leave. I you do not they will attack you. After you fight them and their various summoned minions off, there will be an even harder battle upstairs, though I draw them down to the first level to fight. After much fighting, if you are victorious, you will find that a thief you killed has it on him.
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:42 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Party Configuration is largely a matter of choice.

I've only ever 'lost' the game with my "Loser Party" (Me - Bard, Haer'Dalis - Bard, Yoshimo, Jan Jansen (thief/illusionist), Minsc (Ranger), Anomen)

Anomen certainly has his uses! He's the only good aligned single class cleric in the game. Aerie eventually after a long, long time gets access to the highest level cleric spells.

That said, you don't need the highest level clerical spells. It's second edition... cleric spells suck.

What sets Anomen heads and shoulders above the rest is his turn undead ability. At level 17 it will bring a tear of pride to your eye to slam items that make him immune to charm and level drain and waltz through undead infested areas, watching the unholy legions explode as he passes.

Aerie never gets to be that good at turning undead.

Still, the game won't become impossible if you can't turn hordes of undead and if you want to keep the rest (I'd lose Jaheira in that party mix... otherwise known as the grab everyone you meet mix or Minsc. Despite being cool I don't think I've ever kept Minsc around until the end of the game, swapping him out for Korgan or Keldorn.

Depends on party theme. You're a fighter... this means that you need only one other fighter (Minsc will do. He's pretty good at it, and gets a few healing spells to boot. Keldorn is a Paladin you'll probably bump into later... he can use the most powerful sword in the game as well as cast wonderful spells like true sight and dispel magic without needing to memorize them. Truly, Sir Keldorn doth rock. Korgan is a dwarven battlerager, and there's not anough fighter TOUGHER than him in the game (well.... not in Shadows of Amn).

You'll need a healer (the more the merrier). Aerie will do.

You need a wizard (yes, above all else you NEED a wizard! Preferably two). Aerie will NOT do as the sole party wizard, though she makes a fantastic secondary wizard. Nalia, Edwin, and Imoen are single classes (effectively) wizards. Imoen is better than Nalia... but that depends on how powerful you get before you do everything in your power to save Imoen. If you get too powerful you'll find that Imoen is pretty low level compared to the rest of the party.

You don't NEED a true thief. Yoshi IS cool to have around, definately.... but you can do without him. His traps are very useful to have around, and he can pick locks better than Nalia so less knock spells need to be memorized, however. That, combined with getting more experience for picking locks and disarming traps because he's a higher level thief, maks him a nice addition to a team. Plus, he's cool. You can't knock the cool factor.

If I played a fighter (and I have... I love fighters).

Me
Keldorn or Minsc or Korgan
Anomen or Jaheira (she's a better fighter than he is and has some useful spells, even if it takes her forever to get better druid spells)
Yoshimo or Jan Jansen
Aerie or Jan Jansen
Nalia or Edwin

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:30 pm
DevilsBane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks! Thats ome nice answer, a great run down on the party system.

I dropped Anomen for Nalia, a couple of levels up and a few nice spells later she is pretty much the rock of my party
Transmute into weird things, and transmute other into squrrels are but two of her neat tricks which come in handy, along with an evil roomm killing fireball

Ok BYT I am stuck, or not stuck but confused more is the word.

I am on the Mae Var quests. I got his necklace (accidently killing the whole temple while i was ata it) and took it back and he told me to spead to Edwin...... ok now Edwin asked me to kill a Cowled Wizard......

Therin lies my problem, all of my party advised me against this, and out of curiousity I saved and tried to see whether I could talk to the wizard or something, but alas no it seems i have to kill the guy....and THAT is some task....he is a master of magic and wipes the floor with my feeble party...

Ok now I guess with a proper preparation I COULD beat him...in fact I know I could. I was unprepared last tikme. BUT do I want to??

Is there any way I can complete the Mae Var quest and find the proof that he is a traitor without going in and killing a Cowled Wizard?

I dont really want to make the Cowled Wizard people my enemies right now because I am sure to get a severe beating if I do...

What is the solution here, is there a thrid way to cokmplete this quest?

I killed Mae Var and his goon downstairs easily.... and then when I got upostairs a bunch of guys appeared out of thin air and killed my party with single strikes....... so I guess thats not the way to do it...or at least not yet..

Should I go and take on Edwin? I suspect that will have the same result wont it ? I will get killed if I try Edwin now before soilving the quest and finding proof?

Anyone know what to do here?

Thanks..

This game ROCKS by the way

"Rangers and Hamsters everywhere REJOICE..... Minsc has got a new witch!!"

Ohh and about the Power Sword ... do I need a high level do be able to fight to it? most of my party are 9-10 just now?

Is that going to be enough to get this backstabbing sword? I think that would be nice in Yoshis hands
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:46 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

The party doesn't like the thought of waltzing up and killing someone. You don't need to do this quest to complete the game.

However, you need to kill him in order to continue with the Mae Var quest.

Remember, not every quest is for every character. Edwin is evil. Mae Var is evil. The Bloodscalp is (you guessed it) evil. What they want are evil things. They're all thieves, assassins, and murderers.

There is no bad side effect to doing this quest (there are two more parts to it and the party will only complain if you handle them in a questionable manner)... your party won't hate and abandon you. Frankly, the cowled wizard is ALSO evil and has it coming. There's also no reprocussions if you tell Edwin to stuff it and walk away from the Mae Var quest and do something more heroic.

As for getting the Uberkatana (Celestial Fury - I love that sword).... with tactics level 9-10 should be enough to win the day.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:10 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

My "best party was
Jaheria (for story and secondary healer),
Imoen (for magic and plot),
Anomen (for healing and Turning),
Valygar (for scouting and fighting)
the final place was awarded to whoevers plot I wanted to do at the time but for most of the time it was Keldorn.

I played a paladin - this does mean I had two Pallys in my party but it worked well as they are effective fighters who can heal/Buff and get rid of weaker undead allowing Anomen to take out the big bads.

MUCH (much, much) Later on in the game I replaced Valygar with another character you will meet

This party word well with Imoen providing the initial nukes and debuffs the everyone else pileing in and wiping the floor with the evil folk whilst Anomen and Jaheria kept everyones hit points high.
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:54 am
DevilsBane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

OK Thanks again for all the tips

What about defensive spells?

my partys ALWAYS gets whacked by magic casters because they turn all my party into funny cowrads with the little clouds over their heads so I can't control them

What defensive wrads/spells can my magical people cast to stop this from happening. Its annoying when my whole party starts running in circles getting killed because they are confused or afraid or whatever.....

I looked in teh manual , but tehres like hundreds of spells, and I haven't the patience to read all of them. I just kind of learn the usefull things by what works best, but I havemn't found anything that stops magic people casting that whatever it is spell on my people and making me lose control over them

Whats some good defensive ones to cast over my group to keep them safe while I fight?

Thanks
Post Tue Nov 19, 2002 7:58 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Mage
Resist Fear (especially when facing a dragon)
Spell Shield
Minor Spell Turning (good for bouncing back annoying hold and charming spells)
Spell Deflection
Spell Turning
Spell Trap

Cleric
Magic Resistance
Shield of Archons

Use dispelling magics to get rid of the effects of spells cast on your characters.
That's all I can remember off the top of my head.
Post Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:19 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next