Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Any decent Rpg`s coming out in the next months ??
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Lannister
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Any decent Rpg`s coming out in the next months ??

Hello,

I`m asking myself (and you ) if there are any RPG-games appearing on the horizon before Christmas. I just recently bought beyond divinity which IMHO is much worse than Divine Divinity ( too much linearity for me).

So has anyone good news of good games coming out before Fall ( The-fall.....) ?

Thanks in advance,
L.
Post Sun May 02, 2004 8:18 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

It really depends on what you like!! I really enjoyed DD. Have you looked at Devil Whiskey?

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun May 02, 2004 12:56 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm looking forward to Fable and Sudeki... even though I don't have an Xbox My housemate has one so I might rent these two and try them out (if he lets me!)... if they are really good, it may be time for me to get my own.

I'd like The Fall to be good too. Haven't been following it that closely though, I have no idea when it is due. And I loved Arx Fatalis, can't wait for the sequel... but that's not going to be in 2004, is it? Other than that, I can't really bring to mind any forthcoming PC RPGs that I'm really bothered about (of course, this doesn't include the ones I'm not aware of ), so now seems like a good time for me to check out other genres and my consoles, and also (finally) get my old DOS machine up and running and play some golden oldies.
Post Sun May 02, 2004 8:22 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Before The Fall? Not much. Most notable RPG titles like Dungeon Siege 2 etc. are coming out later. Maybe Metal Hearts, though? Otherwise there are some big MMORPG titles coming soon, like World of Warcraft.
Post Sun May 02, 2004 9:36 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

There's a handful but not much that stands out. Have a wander through our release list. In the short term, Thief 3 (yes, I know it's not a RPG) is the only "big" release until later in the year although there's a couple of Euro and Russian projects that might make it.

On Beyond Divinity, how far through are you? Don't judge it on the first act if you aren't past that.
Post Sun May 02, 2004 10:16 pm
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Certainly there isn't a great deal of rpgs coming out at the moment that have got me excited.

I was interested to see what you thought of beyond divinity, as I completed divine divinity a couple of months ago, and was intending on buying beyond.

I have resorted to buying old games until there is a new contender out. Recently I have purchased planescape torment and the 2 fallout games to keep me going thorugh the summer. Also I have betrayl at krondor ready to play, wizardry 7 and gold, and ultima 6,7, and 8, all recently bought. I have also had arcanum ready to play for 6 months but haven't got round to it.

These games should keep me busy until a new game is unleashed some time in 2005.

Does anyone know if any games similar to might and magic/wizardry type games are due to be out in the next year, as this kind of game is the only thing that would tempt me to purchase a new game.

I've found that purchasing some old games I missed the first time has been a better bet than splashing out £30 on a new game I might not even like.
Post Sun May 02, 2004 10:45 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by sammy22
Recently I have purchased planescape torment and the 2 fallout games to keep me going thorugh the summer. Also I have betrayl at krondor ready to play, wizardry 7 and gold, and ultima 6,7, and 8, all recently bought. I have also had arcanum ready to play...

Wow... that's a great selection. Sorry, can't remember if you've already played Ultima Underworld 1 & 2, if not then I'd throw those in too if you can find them. Hope you have plenty of spare time

quote:
I've found that purchasing some old games I missed the first time has been a better bet than splashing out £30 on a new game I might not even like.

I agree. I rarely buy full-price games nowadays. I used to buy Looking Glass games at full price as soon as they hit the shelves, but there is no company that I have the same faith in right now. Although production values are improving all the time, I believe the actual quality of today's games is - more often than not - below par. They simply aren't worth the asking price, IMO. I think the last full-price game I bought at release was Morrowind and I didn't think it was worth it. Most other games I've bought 2nd-hand or reduced are the same - I wouldn't have been happy if I'd shelled out 30 or 40 quid. The Gothics and Arx Fatalis are the only recent excepetions I can bring to mind (RPGs, anyway). Other than that, I bought Uplink, Clusterball and Search and Destroy (a "tank RPG" on PS2) - games made by small devcos, selling at low prices (£20, £10 and £5 respectively) - and was more than happy with each one. Great games for the price - Uplink in particular was superb, worth twice the price. The industry's drive for slick production values is an enormous waste of money IMO.
Post Sun May 02, 2004 11:29 pm
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks piln, obviously having not played the games I listed yet I am always encouraged to hear that there are some good games amongst them.

The game I am looking forward to the most is planescape torment. Having just finished my degree (Ba hons and getting a 2:1) I have taken a year off, which obviously won't be devoted to playing computer games, but of course they will play a large part in all the time I will have spare.

As for the underworld games I have played them, and underworld 2 is for me the best game ever made!! It's just a shame they never made underworld 3
Post Sun May 02, 2004 11:42 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
As for the underworld games I have played them, and underworld 2 is for me the best game ever made!! It's just a shame they never made underworld 3

I agree, UW2 is still my all-time favourite. Have you played Arx Fatalis? OK, it's no Underworld 3 but it's very good, especially from such a small developer. Another recommendation for your list, if you haven't played it already.

btw, congrats on the 2:1. What did you study?
Post Sun May 02, 2004 11:50 pm
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yes I;m currently in the middle of it (well maybe not quite the middle i'm up to the bit where i've got to find the entrance to the meteor located in the door with the password near the inn).

I did get really into it, until my game became bugged and I had to start again.

I'm not sure what i'm going to do next. Really I should continue with Arx Fatalis, but i'm tempted to start betrayal at kronodr.

And I just know as soon as planescape torment arrives (due next week bought of e-bay) that I will switch to playing that, as I've been looking for a copy of this game for 2 years.

I've gone a bit crazy, even though I have already got loads of games, and lots more lined up to play I just can't help looking for other games.

About 10 decent rpgs that sounded good from home of the underdog have already been downloaded including anvil of dawn, armour and amulets and one or 2 others.

I should really stop looking now, and concentrate on playing some of the games I have already got

I studied health and social studies, which essentially means i can either go into teaching, social work or pchyholgoy.

Obviously with such a difficult decision to make about my career choice it is only right that I spend a year playing some of the best rpgs that I can find.

I'll probably end up getting a part time job, either in a school, or as part of a social work setting whilst I decide, whilst also applying for teacher training college
Post Sun May 02, 2004 11:59 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
I should really stop looking now, and concentrate on playing some of the games I have already got

lol.... I know the feeling. I have a couple of CDs full of games off Underdogs, most of which are untouched (mainly due to the fact I never had enough parts to complete my retro DOS machine, until recently), and I have a ton of unplayed PC and console games.... but EBay and my local games shops are so cheap, I just can't stop! I'm at work now, and I just bought Kessen2 for PS2 off ebay, for the princely sum of £6! And on PC (as well as all those Underdogs) I have Arcanum, Throne of Darkness (mixed reviews for that one), Gothic 2 and my half-finished second stab at PS:T to play (not to mention non-RPGs... ).

PS:T is great, you probably won't even want to play anything else while that's underway. Hint: have a look for the official patch and the fan-made "fix pack" before you start your game. And there are some inventive hacks and cheats for it too, but obviously these are best left til after you've completed the game (the fix pack is OK, it won't spoil anything for a first-time player).
Post Mon May 03, 2004 12:10 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Oh yeah... speaking of Underdogs, they have some great interactive fiction (IF) on there... sure, a lot of it is a bit lame (I find that almost everything gets a high review score there), but if you start with Andrew Plotkin and Adam Cadre you can't really go wrong. For the more old-school stuff, they have all the old Infocom adventures up there, and I'd recommend "A Mind Forever Voyaging" for a great story-driven adventure that you can really get your teeth into (to be honest, I found it a bit intimidating). But this should really be in the adventure games forum.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 12:17 am
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yes, i've been warned about this as soon as i get "pst" i am going to download the official patch, and also the "fix past" which I wasn't aware of until you told me. I presume it fixes certain bugs which I know were present when the game was originally released. I presume I will be able to download them from the official planescape torment webpage.

As for you difficulties resisting the temptation of buying new games, I am exactly the same, particuarly with the bargain prices that are available. The games that I previously listed, fallout, arcanum etc, the whole list cost me about £30,
and that included purchasing both the wizardry and ultima archives.

Just caught up with you and read about the adventure games. I have had a look at a few, and obtained beneath a steel sky and grim fandango
Post Mon May 03, 2004 12:21 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Betrayal at Krondor is great. At least if you can stand the outdated graphics. You can find some tech help and a *full* walkthrough here. Make sure you have the patched version. There is another version out there which lacks one essential item. (A rope you need to climb up somewhere.)
Post Mon May 03, 2004 12:45 am
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks for the warning Gorath. I'm not sure what version of the game I have got, I downloaded it from home of the underdog. I just hope this version is ok.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 1:05 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next