Xen makes everyone look bad
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Silicon Wafers eh?

I came across a station that was knocking them out at far too expensive a price for normal consideration by my penny pinching two ship corporation.

Strange because it seemed to have quite a few in stock. But, since there was a Satellite Factory in the system that needed some and since it presented a tiny profit and since I was doing nothing else.... I bagged the entire stock of about 90 units and crammed them into the ample belly of my fat boy.

As the Merc shuffled across the void between the two platforms I rubbed my hands together and wondered at the sheer greed that enabled me to glean such a feeling of smugness out of the acquisition of so very few credits, but there was no denying the glow of satisfaction at turning even the odd penny.

So it was that with a hearty welcome booming in my ears the "Badger's Paw" pulled into its destination and I prepared to reap the fruit of that which I had sown.

Now, I don't know why I do these things to myself because this would not have been difficult to avoid. But here's more or less how it was.

Badger: "Hello station manager, I have in my hold ninety (count em) ninety beautiful wafers of finest silicone. Let therefore bounteous wealth flow from your coffers into my empty pockets, while you in turn benefit from that which you need to produce more of your lovely Satellites."

Station Manager: "Oh how fortuitous is your arrival good trader. Why I was only saying to Colin my foreman this morning that we were becoming a little challenged in the silicone department........ We'll take TEN."

Badger: "Sir, perhaps you misunderstand or do not see the opportunity laid plainly before you. There is no need to be coy, I have ninety (count em) NINETY wafers of the most exquisite silicone. You need only dip into this well of plenty!"

Station Manager: "Indeed I do see the wonderful opportunity that you present this prodigious morning. Your cargo holds are replete with that most splendid of wafers and I will indulge to the tune of.......... TEN."

Badger: "Bugger!"

So on we jolly well trot with eighty units of overpriced silicone wafers in the trunk, no coffee left in the machine and a mood as dark as coal miners cod piece.

Reload!!!!!

Microchips, that's the thing. You makes stacks of cash out of em. But where oh where are the hoards of cheap chips that I might scoop them into my greedy paws and dispense them to the needy?

Any advice?

Badger.
Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:22 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

Badger, stick with Silicon. Go to Herron, H of L and then Antig's Mem. IN THAT ORDER for buying. You should find them available (Using BB/BS software, don't leave home without it!!) for somewhere in the 270 Cr range. Then fly to the Hole, Antig's Mem or perhaps Red Light (watch out for the naughty women) and you should find your BS will show somewhere buying them for around 700 Cr. I sell all I can fit in my 1k unit Manta everytime. It's easy.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:30 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I shelled out and plunked down something like 5 factories (all related to becoming self-sufficient in production so everything sells for 100% profit) in Lucky Planets. The area was nice, there's a strong military presence... nothing could go wrong.

Hah.

&#**@&# Khaak.

I lost three transports in 20 minutes, crippling my factory production.

I'm guessing I erred when I chose the location to put my factories down. Seems I hit a Khaak sector spawn location.

Le sigh.

No way to move factories, is there? I'm probably better off reloading before I spent 3 million credits and trying again and hoping luck is with me this time. Not that it matters, much... within 5 minutes I'd lost another two transports, and another was crippled to uselessness. Perhaps being an entrepaneur is not in the cards.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:27 pm
corwin

Here's a 64 Cr question for someone. How do I transfer cargo from one ship to another. I have some nav satelites I bought while cruising with my TP which I want to put in my Disco so I can quickly place them in suitable locations. How is it done? The manual is, as always, useless!!

Sorry about your lousy luck Xen. I've heard hiring a Mammoth and parking it very near your fabs is a cost effective way of getting protection. Seems you pay nothing till one actually uses a gate!! Try it and let me know if that works!!!!

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:57 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

To transfer cargo is the same as transfering extension.

1) Have two ships dock. I'm almost certain one of them must be your 'active' ship (ie: The one being piloted by you).

2) Hit R after you hit escape once to clear the docking menu. Pressing it again, as you know, will launch you.

3) Select your non-active docked ship from the R menu.

4) On the docking commands screen one of the commands will be 'freight exchange' (X I believe).

5) Transfer as you will. Active/current ship is the ship with Julian on it, not the one you're actually using the commands on at the moment (threw me for a loop more than once).

As for me... I've got two hired supertransports kicking around. It doesnt' stop my TPs from being targetted for elimination in the slightest.

25k shields might help them survive long enough to outrun all but the most determined foe but 1) THey're hard to find in any quantity and 2) They're expensive... each battery costs as much as a TP!

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:38 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
Badger, stick with Silicon. Go to Herron, H of L and then Antig's Mem. IN THAT ORDER for buying. You should find them available (Using BB/BS software, don't leave home without it!!) for somewhere in the 270 Cr range. Then fly to the Hole, Antig's Mem or perhaps Red Light (watch out for the naughty women) and you should find your BS will show somewhere buying them for around 700 Cr. I sell all I can fit in my 1k unit Manta everytime. It's easy.

Excellent Corwin! That's a far better deal than I've had so far. Tell me though about the BB/BS software. I've heard all about it but never seen any for sale.

How does it work once you do find it? Will it only give information for the system you are in? Or is it only the systems you have explored? Or is it a list of all systems?

I'm eager now to start lining my pockets!

Badger
Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:57 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Best Buy, Best Sell software will run you about 50,000 credits and is available at Teladi Equipment stations. The closest to your neck of the woods, if I'm not mistaken, is Ceo's Buckzoid.

It's about 5 systems or so northeast (galactically speaking) of Argon Prime.

Once bought the BB/BS software will display the best buys and sells of any system you have a ship in if you select them. In a ship where you're active you simply have to press 6 for best buy and 5 for best sell. Either will get you to the right interface screen, though.

In a ship where you're not active... well... it's the same thing once you've selected it through the R menu, just like any other order.

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:15 pm
corwin

Xen, as usual, is correct. CEO'S B is the closest place to get it. It's 4 sectors EAST of Kingdom's End, so fly straight East through the gates. It makes Trading SO much easier. Try a Mammoth just inside a gate Xen, that might work, get their silly ships as they enter the system and before they find you!!

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:14 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Khaak, as far as I can tell, do not use jump gates. They just appear.

I reloaded and simply built another solar power plant somewhere safer. If the Khaak want to get to me they'll have to open fire within a kilometer of a shipyard. Shipyards love when this happens and nicely scramble fighters for me to cover their own butts.

First Class SysDefense Leech should be a title for the canny.

I've been doing some mining. Time consuming, but easier and faster than capturing ships and hugely profitable.

Corwin, if you're happy with sillicon runs just imagine how much more lucrative they'd be if you were making 100% pure profit. Selling at a -200 is still worthwhile, as you're still making a fortune.

I made 150,000 in 10 minutes. That more than paid for the mining equipment! Another two trips like that would pay for the ship (fully maxed out Teladi Vulture. I've heard the Paranid Demeter is better for mining because it can mount the mining laser on the front instead of a turret, but for an extra few seconds to turn my ship around I don't really care). There's no way to auto-mine, unfortunately... asteroids can't be selected with the 'attack' command.

It is slow, though. Getting special software 1 and select gather all goods in sector and hitting J helps, though... unless you're trying to chill out. My miner is called Zen and the Art of Mining and I fly it to unwind after doing a lot of fighting. Meanwhile my Argon Nova doesn't get to chill out... it gets set on attack all enemies and clears the sector I'm mining in so viscious sneak attacking pirates and Khaak do not interfere with my meditations.

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:48 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2