Antialiasing - useful?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
HanshaSuro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Antialiasing - useful?

For those of you with GeForce 3 cards or better, I was wondering whether or not using any of the antialiasing features of the card was a worthwhile way to improve image quality in Morrowind. I've attempted to use the modes with other games, but I just found that 2d sprites and the like were noticably changed, especially transparencies. A higher resolution generally improved quality more than any of the AA modes. How is it with Morrowind? Some comparisons of, say 800x600 w/ AA vs 1024x768 w/o AA would be informative.

Thanks,

"I read somewhere that in the last census, 1.6 percent of the population was not counted. How can they know that?"
-George Carlin
Post Thu May 02, 2002 12:00 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Well, this is just my personal preference, but I have the beta running in 1280x960 with no shadows and the lowest reflection update in order to be able to turn on AA. This gives me the minimum frame rates I can tolerate, but a very pretty view.

I acknowledge that 1600x1200 would do about the same (with about he same performance on my system), but the writing gets too small for me old man . I could go with 1280x960 without AA on my GeForce 3 Ti 200 and it would be ok, not as pretty but ok, but the gain would not be enough to have the shadows on (which does look better, I have to admit).

Since my processor is a 1.3GHZ/100, I doubt that a Geforce 4 would help a lot, so I will just have to live with the limitations of the system (and running a site like RPGDot really doesn't allow you to buy a GeForce 4 at will, anyhow *g*).

My advice: Make a fake character once aou get the game. Don't do any quests, just let him stand and stare in the starter village (it's pretty graphics intense, there are few "slower" places I have found so far), and tune your system to your liking. What you get there should be the minimum framerate you can tolerate - because 95% of the areas will run way faster than the starter village.
Post Thu May 02, 2002 12:10 pm
HanshaSuro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hey,

Thanks for the good advice. My system is a 1.4ghz Athlon, GF3 and soon to be 512 of RAM. I was kind of worried that as high as 1024x768 might tax my system, but I guess I'll just have to crank it up and see! ::gets goosebumps at the thought of 1280x960:: Only 3 hours until I can bum my ride to the store... ::sigh::

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius

My advice: Make a fake character once aou get the game. Don't do any quests, just let him stand and stare in the starter village (it's pretty graphics intense, there are few "slower" places I have found so far), and tune your system to your liking. What you get there should be the minimum framerate you can tolerate - because 95% of the areas will run way faster than the starter village.

"I read somewhere that in the last census, 1.6 percent of the population was not counted. How can they know that?"
-George Carlin
Post Thu May 02, 2002 12:17 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Your system should do fine at 1024x768 if you turn off shadows and reflection update. Then it should be no prob at all to turn on AA with 1024x768x32 (go for 32bit colors it really pays off).

One last peice of advice: if you can install the game on a freshly formatted harddrive, this will cut down loading times between sections to nearly unnoticable.

Have fun, I am really looking forward to your first impressions. And place a cushion on the ground where you expect your jaw to drop *g*
Post Thu May 02, 2002 12:22 pm
HanshaSuro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Jaw safety

Actually, I was considering getting my neighbor here to be responsible for keeping my jaw off the floor. The only question then is, who's going to watch out for his...

-George Carlin
Post Thu May 02, 2002 12:27 pm
Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Does Morrowind support Anistropic (Probably spelled that completely wrong) Filtering???

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Thu May 02, 2002 4:54 pm

Anisotropic filtering is for Open GL games only. Don't know if Morrowind supports Open GL but I think I remember that it is a pure D3D powered engine.
Post Thu May 02, 2002 5:48 pm

Jamison
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

HOw do you turn on full screen AA? I see no option for this in the game.
Post Thu May 02, 2002 6:46 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

You can use some tool or set it in additional properties of your graphics card setting.
Post Thu May 02, 2002 6:47 pm
Morandil

The difference between GF3 AA and GF4 AA is supposed to be significant. There are claims that GF4 AA produces a much lesser performance hit than previous cards. I haven't had the opportunity to test this out myself, but several reviews have supported this claim.
Post Thu May 02, 2002 6:50 pm

geforce 4's and radeon 8500's are much better at AA than any other cards
Post Thu May 02, 2002 7:33 pm

Nietchse

Rendilious im curious as to where you see a "reflection update" setting i dont seem to see anything of that nature.Any help would be appreciated im probably just blind and dont see it.
Post Thu May 02, 2002 7:42 pm

Jamison
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Wow, after turning on AA x2, I couldn't believe the difference. There are no jaggies anywhere... looks like an computer animation movie, except you are controlling it.
Post Thu May 02, 2002 11:19 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

nietche, they took it out of the full version, it was only in the beta
Post Thu May 02, 2002 11:48 pm

"nietche, they took it out of the full version, it was only in the beta"

Ahh ok thank you i thought i was losing my mind its kind of like when i look all over the house for my glasses and there sitting on top of my head.

Would just like to add that if anyone one wants to see there FPS it can be done by editing the INI file in your morrowind folder just open it up and look for SHOW FPS and change the value to "1"
Post Fri May 03, 2002 12:10 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next