Members
Usergroups
Neverwinter Nights 2 announced!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Garrett

Neverwinter Nights 2 announced!

NWN2 id officially annoucned mow. It is being developed by Obsidian, the company formed by Ex-Black Isle boss Faergus Urquhart, who are also doing KotOR 2. Here's the PR minus the company bla:<blockquote><em><b>Atari Announces Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment to Develop Sequel to BioWare's Revolutionary Product</b> <br> <br>LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 4, 2004--Atari Interactive, Inc., Obsidian Entertainment and BioWare Corp.™, under license from Hasbro, Inc., have announced plans for Neverwinter Nights™ 2, the sequel to BioWare Corp.'s best-selling and genre-defining role-playing game set in the popular Dungeons & Dragons® Forgotten Realms™ universe created by Wizards of the Coast. Atari, Inc. will publish the title. Originally developed by BioWare, Neverwinter Nights has set a new standard in the role-playing genre with a deep and engrossing storyline; immersive character development; stunning graphics; and, an expansive multiplayer experience like none other. <br> <br>"Neverwinter Nights is one of the most beloved RPG's of all time and we're pleased that Obsidian has taken on the challenge," said John Hight, executive producer, Atari. "Feargus and his team at Obsidian Entertainment are the best people on the planet to take up where BioWare left off and bring this great game to new levels. They are intimately familiar with what makes Neverwinter Nights special, they know what it takes to make a great game and they have the respect of the RPG community." <br> <br>The Neverwinter Nights franchise has sold more than two million copies worldwide, is translated into ten languages, sold in more than 40 countries and features one of the largest and most active fan communities in all of gaming at www.bioware.com. To date, fans of the franchise, which includes Neverwinter Nights, Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide™ and Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark™, have created nearly 4,000 modifications to the original game using the award-winning BioWare Aurora Toolset, the groundbreaking software included with the full game that allows players to create their own universes, quests and storylines. <br> <br>"BioWare and Atari created an immense community of players attracted by both the immersion of an interactive gaming experience and the ability to create their own pen-and-paper styled modules. Neverwinter Nights changed the very nature of roleplaying games," said Feargus Urquhart, Obsidian Entertainment's CEO. "With Neverwinter Nights 2, we're going to take that incredible experience to the next level by combining a huge new single-player game with deep character development and many new upgrades and enhancements to the already powerful BioWare Aurora Toolset for the modding community." <br> <br>Neverwinter Nights 2 will be developed by Obsidian Entertainment, founded by Feargus Urquhart who, as the President of Black Isle Studios, was responsible for the publishing of the Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance series and the development of the Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment franchises, both powered by BioWare Engine Technology, as well as overseeing the creation and development of the Fallout series. BioWare will provide tools, technology, and game assets from the original Neverwinter Nights as well as lend creative input and oversight to the development process. <br> <br>"From our development of Baldur's Gate™ and Neverwinter Nights to our engine licensure on Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic® 2, we've been working collaboratively with Feargus and other members of the Obsidian Entertainment team for years," said Dr. Greg Zeschuk, BioWare Corp.'s Joint CEO. "Neverwinter Nights remains one of the most important titles BioWare has ever created. We certainly plan to remain involved in the production and development of Neverwinter Nights 2 and we're delighted to initiate another partnership with Obsidian Entertainment and Atari," added Dr. Ray Muzyka, BioWare Corp.'s Joint CEO. <br> <br>Neverwinter Nights 2 is scheduled for release in 2006. More information about Neverwinter Nights 2 can be found on the Atari website at www.atari.com/nwn2, which includes user forums, project news, development updates and more.</em></blockquote>
Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:38 pm
Burack

Horray!!!

This is great news!!!

I love NWN and the expansions.

The dream has now become reality.
Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:40 pm

Barghest
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

It was a pretty poor single player RPG out-of-the-box though...
Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:51 pm

Re: Neverwinter Nights 2 announced!

quote:
Originally posted by Garrett
NWN2 id officially annoucned mow.

sdfgjnaefg!
Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:26 pm

jamey333
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

know where RPGdot stands

I find it funny that if it is not Fallout, Gothic, Elderscrolls, or some European developer that many of us have never heard of it is not in bold. I would say that this is some of the biggest RPG new in months. A hell of a lot more important than gossip about a lame company closing its doors, which often had bolded headlines.

This is huge news. I can't wait to find out more.

Well I guess you guys did give us an exclamation mark.
Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:09 pm

NWN sucked, so I don't see any reason to be excited about NWN 2.
Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:57 pm

Pinky's Brain
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Jamey, I would hazard a guess that is cause you are young ... if you were old you would realise everything was better when you were young.

Also of course it is a well established fact that non party based games based on D&D make for shallow and poorly balanced gameplay :p
Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:06 am
Lorgosin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I didn't really like NWN, but I trust Obsidian to make something playable out of this.
Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:51 am
Lucky Day

I wish people would stop judging NWN based on the OC's. I don't know anyone that bothered to finish any of them.

No, the beauty of NWN is the Toolset, the standalone multiplayer server, and the DM client in that order and the fact that they all went together. If you don't liek the OC fine. I don't either. Check the Hall of Fame on nwvault.ign.com for the best mods. I recommend Shaderaven's Keep on the Borderlands, Monty Python: Arthur Meets a Moose, Shadowlords, etc. etc.

It looks like NWN 2 will be a massive upgrade to the Aurora toolset that exists and all these features will be in place. Obsidian is promising a sweeping and epic Single player OC with it too.

Bioware will be involved in the development of it.
Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:30 am

jamey333
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

no need to get testy

Actually I am pretty young. Well young for a computer science professor and DM that has been playing D&D since those 3 little books in a box. Thanks for the compliment. I love it when people think I am younger than I am.

From many peoples comments about NWN I would take a guess that they never actually sat down and played NWN for what it was meant for. It is a hell of a lot more than the OC. If you sat down and played it what it was meant for you would find simply one of THE best RPGs ever made. There is nothing that compares when it comes to a multiplayer RPG system. I could care less about the OC, but if single player stuff is your thing well there are at least a couple dozen modules out there offering hundreds of hours of great gaming. What other game offers you that? I hope you don't plan on telling me about all the great mods for Morrowind or Dungeon Siege.

Anyway way, my original point was not how great of a game it is, but that it IS important as far as RPG news goes. This game and its add-ons sold many copies and got very good reviews. I just find it interesting that only the news that is important to the editors of this site gets special attention. I wonder how many people that view this site regularly thin kit is. I would say that for most RPG fans this news is bigger than say an exclusive look at a game that isn't even an RPG. It really doesn't matter because the people that like to get news about NWN probably look to other sites for news about it anyway. I just think that RPGdot does itself and it's readers a disservice when they show such bias. I mean they gave a bold headline to DS2 when it was announced. How many people really liked the first DS?

Just my two coppers.

~Jamey

Last edited by jamey333 on Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:33 am
Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Great news! Another RPG to add to my buy-list.

Dungeon Lords -> Dragon Age ->NWN2
Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:54 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Jamey333, as an Editor on this site, I'd like to respond. I actually finished the OC and have played both expansions. NWN is VERY popular with many of the Editors and mods here. Not only does RPGDot run several online gaming sessions each week using NWN, but in the very near future, we will be opening up a dedicated server running an online PW for NWN that will be available for all of you to experience. The PW mod has been written and created by another Dot regular. So, please, next time, before you criticise the volunteer staff here, check out your facts. This site has always been a strong supporter of the entire NWN community.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:04 am
Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I will be sure to watch for this one in 2008 if I'm still alive
Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:40 pm

taken from gamespot article :

quote:
So far, the game is (naturally) set for release for the PC, but Atari reps said a next-generation console version is a possibility

ahem...if NWN 2 is something like NWN 1, i really don't see how it could make it on consoles, unless.... no, can't be possible.
Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:14 pm

araczynski
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

i loved NWN and the expansions, and i only bought the games for the single player, which i enjoyed quite a bit, not into multiplayer so never wasted my time with that.

in any case, i don't see any reason to be excited about an announcement of a game that's to be released in 2006 (read Xmas of 2006). i might care when during the middle of 2006, but now?? please.

the 2006 date is BEFORE they start coming up with excuses for pushing it back to 2007.
Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:29 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next