FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Need some help starting party
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread

Need some help starting party

Well my new party will be as follows, unless someone comes along and tells me im retarded --

Halfling Lord
Human Valk
Halfling Rogue
Mook Ranger
Elf Wizard (Or is it mage in this game? Havent played in a while)
Human Wizard (See above)

I am hoping someone who is experienced with the game could give me a quick rundown of major items I dont want to miss, so I can save and reload until I find them. I have played another party up through to the swamp after trynton, but I got sidetracked, stopped play for quite a while, and can't seem to get excited about my characters anymore. I am thinking I might need to have a gadgeteer or bard instead of the second wizzy, but in my last game I ended up overlooking them all the time for some reason, I don't know maybe Im just dumb. But anyways, I am rambling Well thanks in advance for any tips you might have!
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:33 am

Maybe a Bishop instead of 2 mages, and a Bard for the other one, and, instead of either the Lord or Valk, a Fighter. (Or be bold and just take 5.)
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 6:34 am

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Maybe a Bishop instead of 2 mages, and a Bard for the other one, and, instead of either the Lord or Valk, a Fighter. (Or be bold and just take 5.)

I get where you're coming from, but I figure between my lord and valk Ill have enough divinity, my ranger will use his alchemy, and I dont need psionics a ton do I? My main reason, though, is that training a bishop to use all 4 schools is a bit rough on my patience Well keep the tips coming, they are much appreciated!
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:46 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Your group will be playable, not really very strong - but it is not important :].

I wish you good luck and a lot of fun with it (sorry I have no time to write you more and list some stuffs).
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:41 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Rogues are the weakest characters in the Wizardry series. I would replace the Rogue with a Ninja, Bard or Gadgeteer. These classes have thief skills, too.

But..., every party is playable !
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:14 pm
ChasR211
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Why two mages (wizards)? I would go with either a Bishop or Psionic in place of one of them? A Bishop can concentrate on one or two fields of magic at first and build up faster in those, then take up the others later. Gadgeteers are also fun characters, although not very powerful in the early stages.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:26 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

It's playable, as virtually any combination is. I'd swap a psionic or a bishop for the human mage, and put in a gadgeteer or bard for the rogue. This will give you healing spells immediately at level 1 (if you want them, it's just a suggestion), and a more diverse thief. You could use a ninja focused on fighting and thieving (using your ranger as more of an alchemist / bowman), but it would be harder IMHO. I like the valkyrie / lord combination (I had it with Vi in my first party, to go with a priest for a triple divine threat) as there are plenty of combats where you want to start off with 2 defensive priest spells (e.g. soul shield & bless).
I played the fighter class in the demo and with an NPC, and wouldn't swap out either the lord or valkyrie for a pure fighter with your type of party. I think the extra spellcasting more than compensates.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:05 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Let's see here. First, as has been said a million times, there's NO party that cannot be succesfully developed in Wiz8. If you like it, go with it. And now for opinions:

1) Lords are considered the 2nd hardest melee-type character to develop (ninja is hardest). If you want to go that direction, I would highly recommend a visit to our FAQ to find the link to the site with "class spotlights". I could give you the site directly, but then you'd miss out on our wonderful FAQ...

2) After the patch (which killed pickpocket), rogues are largely useless. Bards and gadgeteers are equally good with locks and traps and bring other skills to the party. Bards are good from start to finish, but never really become dominant. Gadgs (supposedly, I haven't played one very long yet) get very strong in the endgame but lag significantly in the beginning.

3) Taking two mages really won't gain you much. I'd replace one with a priest or bishop (specializing in divinity and psionics). This gives you a wider range of spells to work with without sacrificing any skills.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 8:26 pm
Jenny
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Can someone please point me to the FAQs that were mentioned? I can only find the FAQ's at the top of this page re: posting in the discussion forums.

Is there an actual Wizardry 8 page here at RPG Dot that I'm missing or just the forum?
Post Sat Aug 10, 2002 10:05 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Click me!
Post Sat Aug 10, 2002 10:15 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You can find tips&tricks for some games in the RPGDot Support Files section on the main page. Alternatively you can use the 'Games Search' engine on the left which also delivers dozens (sometimes even 100s) of links to older newsbits, sorted by categories.

All officially opened sites are linked under the 'Hosted Sites' button on every page. The hosted sites use RPGDot infrastructure but are filled with content by their own staff, which is completely independent from RPGDot. Making a Wizardry page without people who run it doesn´t make sense. Danicek considered to run the site, but a fan site for a dead series would have been a waste of time. So some content was created and added to as support files.

The NWN site is still not officially announced but can be reached via the obviuous adddress and will surely be linked in the forum index later.
Post Sat Aug 10, 2002 10:41 pm
shai_aus
Village Leader
Village Leader

My Gadgeteer, for the record, is one of my most powerful characters. At level 15, he eats up ammo like there's no tomorrow with 5-6 attacks per round, even more when hasted. His attacks can blind, K.O or kill, and even when they don't, they do about 13-15 damage per hit. Gadgeteers are only weak at the beginning because:

a) They only have cruddy Bullet Stones as ammo. This would be OK if they were using a sling, because a high Strength score can increase your sling damage. The Omnigun, however, does damage based on what ammo it's using, and, no matter how high your Strength is, pressing the trigger harder won't increase the damage that it does.

b) Their Omniguns suck. Penalties to initiative and hit percentage. As they increase in levels, Gadgeteers improve their Omniguns, making them faster, more accurate. At higher levels, they add extra "components" to the Omniguns, giving them blinding and K.O abilities, amongst others. I wish I could rename my Omnigun to something like Ubergun. That'd be more appropriate.

c) No gadgets. It takes a while to find the components that you need (search everywhere!) Keep improving that Engineering skill, though. It's worth it for the great stuff you find later on.

They're very similar to Bards, in most cases. Gadgets are less common and varied than musical instruments. If it came to a competition between the Bard's instuments and the Gadgeteer's gadgets, instruments would win hands down. But, Bards don't have the all-powerful Omnigun, one of the game's most interesting and best weapons - after a while.

And hey, they're fun to play as. I still have a Rogue in my party, even after the patch, because I like them. That's what it comes down to, in the end. You might have a party full of maxed-out power characters, but are you having fun?
Post Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:39 pm