About the graphics
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
bestpike
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

About the graphics

This is the most strange thing i ever seen on a pc game. I have P4 2400, 768 333Mhz, 80GB hd, Ti4400 128DDR, Audigy 2.
The thing is that, no matter i set the graphics all the way down to 640, lowest detail, no sky fx, no nothing, or all the way up to 1600 32bit with all full, the game will always have the same fps, which is about 21. By this fact i understand they placed for some reason a frame limiter of some kind. The strangest of all things is that the limiter is under the capability of the human eye to see things, which is 24 frames per second. Tell me your thoughts or even a solution to this. I cant possibly believe that a computer 2 years after the date of the game cant run above 30 fps. Though gothic 2 doesnt have this problem. Generally all my other games run just fine.
Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:44 pm
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

The main purpose for limiting the frame rate were problems related to animations.
However, one way is to install the Player-Kit 1.08k and apply the inofficial FPS-Patch
Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:58 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

All the files can also be found in the
Gallery/Gothic/Special .

The search function will show you the way to a discussion about the fps patch and more.
Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:07 am
bestpike
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

what exactly must i do? i downloaded the fps patch and the player kit
Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:18 am
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

Search for 'fps patch install' in 'Gothic - General'
Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:01 am
ShadowShrike
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Actually the human eye detects up to ~60, which is why it's the most common refresh rate for monitors (it isn't perfect with CRT monitors, ~80 is better, but 60 is the cutoff for your brain processing every frame I think). Anyways, anything above 20-ish still looks okay as long as it maintains a consistent frame rate.
Post Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:40 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

@ShadowShrike,

Here's another example of you "knowing it all" - - you are completly wrong with your information, - the fps' in mention, relates to VIDEO output, whereas the 60 rate refers to Hertz, something completly different, awaiting your humble reply.
Post Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:34 am
ShadowShrike
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
the fps' in mention, relates to VIDEO output, whereas the 60 rate refers to Hertz, something completly different, awaiting your humble reply

*sigh*

[url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en:en-US:official&oi=defmore&q=define:Hertz+(Hz)]First off, I recommend you find out what Hertz measures.[/url]

That's cycles per second, the amount of times per second a monitor refreshes.

Secondly, video output is the data that is sent to a monitor.

Thirdly, frames per second measures the amount of times per second the video card sends data to the monitor.

They measure the same thing, see?

Try not to take arguments out of their threads of origin... especially if you don't have a point .
Post Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:05 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by ShadowShrike
Actually the human eye detects up to ~60, which is why it's the most common refresh rate for monitors (it isn't perfect with CRT monitors, ~80 is better, but 60 is the cutoff for your brain processing every frame I think).

Not really. Each person has an individual point at which it will perceive a picture shown on a CRT as "stable". For me this is 85 Hz. 60 is unacceptable, 70 still flickers for me and 75 is okay for a few hours.
TFTs use a different technology. On them 60 Hz are perfectly fine.
Post Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:42 am
ShadowShrike
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yes, I've got a 60 TFT myself and detect no flickering. It's been so long since I used a CRT I can hardly remember, but I recall noticing some very slight flickering with a 60hz model... hardly there though. Funny because my vision's 20/20-- perhaps it's not assosiated with that at all.

*goes to search for an online article on it*
Post Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:40 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

The primary reason for no visible flicker on LCDs is the persistence. Even the fastest panels that exist have switching times / response rates of 9ms and most are >12-16ms - ~25ms.
Post Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:43 am