Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Just how tough do you have to be anyway?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Just how tough do you have to be anyway?

Having added Tribunal a while back, (Bloodmoon can wait until it reaches the bargain bins) I'm doing better this time around in Vvardenfell. I've reached L6, which is higher than I managed on my first attempt at the game.

I've not as yet embarked on the main quests of either Morrowind or Tribunal, preferring for the moment at least to do a little wandering around in the general vicinity of Seyda Neen to see where my feet take me.

As detailed in an earlier post, I have actually managed to kill ghosts in some of the little dungeons/ crypts I have encountered, which is something that I never managed before. But it seems that anywhere major that I come across involves me getting my behind kicked in a major way soon after setting foot inside.

The back of my trousers still bare the boot prints from the kicking I received at Bal Ur, although it has to be said that my desperate blind escape from that place led me by chance to Marandus, where I fared somewhat better.

The current occupiers of Marandus seemed determined to give me a violent welcome and I was happy to oblige, it being somewhat of a relief to trade sword thrusts in bouts that for a change seemed within my reach.

On the second level I found four or five particularly nasty pieces of work, with whom I could not cope. I managed to run past them and found myself on the roof, where yet more booty was to be found. I scaled down the walls of the building to make my escape, leaving my pursuers hammering at the door to the roof in the mistaken belief that I was still up there. Ha! Let them. I'll return when I am stronger to show them the error of their ways and also to investigate the interesting "Propylons" that I discovered there and which I assume are part of a teleportation system if one can but find the keys to use it.

I do find myself wondering how strong I have to become before I can safely venture into some of the darker areas of Vvardenfell?

In moments of rest I do like to read some of the various books I discover. Long forgotten tomes on dusty shelves will often give clues as to new places to visit. One such book tells of a Ruin called "Kemel-Ze" or "Cliff City" Supposedly lying off the Vvardenfell Rift near a village called Marog. My skill with maps is legendarily bad, so perhaps it is no surprise then, that I can find no mention of any of these places. I wonder if Kemel-Ze actually exists and how I might get there?

Well. Enough talk. I've a road to wander and I've already stood still for too long.

Badger.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:58 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

"Gaghghgh! That Badger has a tendency to ramble." I hear you say. Well in case the questions got lost in the narrative, here's the short version.

1/ What Level do you have to be before you can successfully tackle areas like Bal Ur?

2/ Does Kemel-Ze actually exist and if so where is it. Cause I can't find it.

Badger.
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:36 am
InSaNe
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

1. about 12 or so with a swordsman would be ok i think.. any other class should be a little higher (correct me if im wrong)

2. dunno
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:49 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Greetings Badger!

To answer your first question, well that depends on your character's abilities and the difficulty of your enemies! Okay, not very helpful. I would say that a decent fighter sort should be able to start tackling Daedric ruins at about level 6-8. Naturally, some creatures will still be very dangerous - I find Daedroths dangerous at any level! But by level 20 there should be little that can get in a decent fighter's way.

Thief and Mage types will have a harder time of it. There's a lot of focus on melee in this game, and magic and stealth can only help you so far.

Most areas of Vvardenfell are "levelled", so the creatures that you'll encounter are designed to be troublesome, but manageable. At early levels you might meet an Ancestral Ghost, but returning to the same point some time later may put you face to face with a Greater Bonewalker. However, there are areas in which the creatures are pre-determined, and generally there's been little levelling of NPCs.

If your skills and attributes have been increasing steadily, you should be able to handle most of the levelled creatures - with the right tactics. If a battle seems too hard, you may be dealing with a situation hand-tailored to a higher level. Come back later with more experience and better equipment.

As for Kemel-Ze, sorry but no. Apparently it's on the mainland, and therefore doesn't exist in the current game. However, there are stories out there describing things you can find, like the sunken city and various powerful artifacts...
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:50 am
Glorfindel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Your level is only half the equation; the other half being your equipment. If you want an easy (way too easy in my view) start, go through the forums and find where the 'acquirable' uber weapons/armour are and go acquire them. An uber sword will effectively add 10 or more levels to a low level character. The more legitimate approach is to save those septims that you get from early caves, etc and use them to buy an enchanted weapon. You will be amazed at how much more effective your fighter becomes with just a few points of poison/fire/shock/frost damage per hit - or paralysis for a second or two. Enchanters (mage guilds and some stores - Ald'Ruhn is a good early choice) and weapons stores are good places to look. Look for a weapon with a highish charge - 50+ is a minimum. Since most hits will drain 5+ points, an enchanted weapon with 10 charge will get you 1 or 2 augmented hits. You really need to work on your best close combat weapon early since ranged weapons and offensive magic are much less effective at low levels (although by all means get a few shots in during the charge).

The other big key to survival early is restore health potions. Since fights stop when you go into your inventory - to quaff a tasty restorative elixir during combat - this is much more effective than switching to magic to cast a healing spell then back to weapons. You will take a lot of hits during those changes even when you are a much higher level than your opponent - I almost got killed by a kwama forager when I was level 12 trying to go the spell route.

My recommendation is to head for Balmora (you can probably walk at level 6 but early on, paying for safe transportation is not a bad idea) and start some of the guild quests. The early quests, unsurprisingly, are geared to lower level characters and will provide you with money and experience - and, more importantly, start introducing you to the underlying plot and the factional rivalries that are, IMHO, what makes MW a special game. One can play as straight hack and slash, but MW also offers the opportunity to make moral choices as you progress, adding much greater depth to the role-playing aspects. Stick to the southwest for awhile; there is plenty to do and it is safer there than elsewhere. The guild/faction quests will gradually send you to the rest of Vvardenfell as you grow in capabilities - one of the things that they were designed to do.

Most humans/orcs/elves/... can be handled by level 10 with a decent weapon or two; Daedric Ruins are another matter; some things in them can be taken at level 10 with good weapons and potions; some will kill you faster than you can use your stuff. Level 15 and some pretty good weapons (dwarven/ebony/silver/nord/or better with paralysis and a damage spell) will be a match for the mid-level daedra.

One last bit of advice. Get a weapon with the soul trap spell as soon as possible. A great early game cash flow generator and the best way to become a character who can go into any situation confident that he can handle it (mind you, you will still die or teleport out from time to time). If you play fairly vanilla MW, the supply of soul gems is deliberately low to keep game balance (as is the supply of merchant's cash). A lot of mods remove either or both these caps as many gamers find them restricting. Some of the (141) mods that I have installed in this my fifth run through (I have never finished the game but have got to near invincible levels) do 'decap' these limits. These mods do other things that I want so I keep them installed but try not to abuse them. I find that the game losses a lot of interest when you can kill anything in the game with one or two swats and can't be hurt in return. As in so many things in MW, the choice is yours to make.
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:08 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Cheers guys. Thanks to you, my knowledge is now sharper than my sword.

Badger
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:44 pm