Bloomin' Random Encounters!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
AvalonKnight
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Bloomin' Random Encounters!

Whilst ploughing through various RPGs lately..(trying out the console variety for a change) it dawned on me how irritating random encounters are when trying to complete a task in any adventure/rpg.

Ten minutes of graphical excellence is great the first couple of encounters but after 100-1000 of these particularly disturbing occurences it drives me up the wall..especially when attempting to reach a far flung castle out in the wilderness..arrrrrrrrgh!

Obviously a cop-out on the part of the programmers, these random encounters have got to stop!( typed with large clump of greying hair tightly gripped in fist).

Give me real-time encounters any day of the week..real-time with strategic elements too! Thank goodness for PC rpgs(well..most of them anyway)

Phew..glad i got that off my chest..back to playing Morrowind, Arx Fatalis, NWN, Divine Divinity, Dungeon Master etc....etc...
Post Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:53 pm
cheatboy00
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

So are you saying not to have any random incounters at all... Or just have them less frequent?? this info will help alot (I'm building an rpg..)
Post Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:54 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

He means that if you have to use random encounters to artificially ramp up the playing time then something is wrong. 10 times the same encounter is simply boring.
Post Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:54 pm
AvalonKnight
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

That's mostly what i am saying, yes..i do prefer playing RPG's where the player doesn't have the dubious pleasure of being confronted with 1000's of random battles and having to watch the same sequence of events time after time..when attempting to get on with the story!

Yep..and they sure do "ramp up" the playing time..well said!
Post Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:58 pm
Kashya
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I absolutely agree with you. They must be one of the most hateful things of any game. Please don't have any random encounters at all! I hated them in Baldur's gate and they completely ruined Summoner for me.

Just my two cents.
Post Mon May 05, 2003 6:41 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by AvalonKnight
That's mostly what i am saying, yes..i do prefer playing RPG's where the player doesn't have the dubious pleasure of being confronted with 1000's of random battles and having to watch the same sequence of events time after time..when attempting to get on with the story!

Yep..and they sure do "ramp up" the playing time..well said!

I can understand that, if you play lame games like any of the latest Final Fantasy games; talk about getting tired of the constant video sequences. I'd give anything for a simulate-battle option (like in 'Fantasy Empires') in those kind of games.
Most games just give you the same opponents, though... Then it becomes dependent on weather it's a TB or RT game!

The more you walk around in the game world, the more encounters you'll get, so plan AHEAD! Then there's people like me who like to battle alot.
Post Mon May 05, 2003 7:25 pm