View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Driver3 bombed & exposing bad reviewing practices

quote:
I work for a UK magazine. What seemed like a few errant public relations agreements is turning into a wider problem in the UK games media, with shocking score agreements being implemented before any reviewer has seen final code.

In the race to splash “Exclusive first review” on the front cover, editors are now agreeing to grant high scores to titles irrespective of quality, in what is perhaps the most distasteful abuse of reader trust imaginable.

The culprit right now is Atari with DRIV3R, with reports coming in today of demands for at least 9/10 score in exchange for early review code. Although the build with magazines at the moment is described as being “…two or three weeks away from being final,” it has not lived up to expectations with certain press contacts. However, in order to obtain the code, a score of nine has been demanded by Atari’s PR team.

Other culprits of late include Sonic Heroes, which Sega’s European PR office demanded scores of at least 8/10 in exchange for code, a shoddy state of affairs indeed. As you may remember, all early scores were 8/10 for Sonic. Strange huh?

Tomb Raider was another game for which it was demanded that a certain score must be granted before review coverage was agreed. Impressively, 10/10 was the requested score, though as you know, various editors bartered this down.

Another is Devil May Cry II, for which Capcom demanded 8/10 for the exclusive. Turok Evolution also came pre-decorated with an eight score.

quote:
Driv3r may have achieved incredibly - arguably ludicrously - high scores from some publications, but major sites such as IGN and Gamespot have both criticised the game harshly, as have several other publications. It seems likely that the balance of professional critical opinion will come down heavily against the title; but while Atari is unlikely to be happy with this situation, nobody seems to believe that this critical slating is going to make Driv3r bomb.

http://spong.com/en/html/forum/viewThread.jsp?message=2121
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=ret&aid=3680
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:37 am
hollaholla
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

dude..it didn't bomb..its number 1 on sales in both the US and the UK

this rumor thing I have read about when it first came out, and while its interesting that this guy made the claim - i have a really hard time beleiving it. plus look at the EGM scores - they were good and they are not in this rumor....i dunno how much i beleive this.
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:30 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

I believe it... I've read most of the PC games mags on the shelves in this country, and a selection of the console and multi-format publications, and the dodgy review scores alone are enough to convince me something's afoot. The situation has been gradually declining since the good old days of ZZap!64, and now there's barely an objective review to be found (including the once-reliable PC Format, excluding Edge IMO).

Not to mention the various articles that have been written on the subject... the sources may be largely anonymous (for obvious reasons), but the evidence is there to back up their claims.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:36 pm
Everclearules20
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Of course, by the time I try to comment on the subject I forget one of my points.

Anyways, it was something Atari did with UT2004 that was on the shady side as well, though not to the extent as with Driv3r.

Here's another article on the subject from Worth Playing that you may find interesting:
http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=18578
Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:12 am
Navaros
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

most if not all PC games magazines have corrupt reviewing practices

for example, the best adventure game of all time, Nocturne - which got a 94% score from GameSpy - also received a 56% in PC Gamer magazine

guess what - GameSpy was right and PC Gamer was out to lunch.

all the staff involved with the PC Gamer review of Nocturne should have been fired instantly for their heinous mispresentation of the game and unfair, ludicrous review.

for more info including the link to said GameSpy review, clicky here: http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=83290

personally i mostly only trust reviews from either GameSpy or Adrenaline Vault website. anything else seems to be shady pickings.
Post Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:56 pm