Vampire - The Masquerade
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Vampire

Author Thread
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Vampire - The Masquerade

I have played the demo of this game pretty long ago. Is the game good? Does it include MP?
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 2:06 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

It does have MP, I never tried it but I'd guess it's similar to NWN's MP.

The game is pretty fun, some bad things, IIRC, were mentioned in some reviews, but I liked it.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:20 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

I got the game, and I must say its pretty good! But its hard too, anyone else than me that plays it?
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 3:56 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

I played and beat it when it was first released.
If you think it is hard now you should have tried it when there wasn't a pause function. I didn't think it needed a pause feature myself but nearly everyone on the Nihilistic boards were complaining about the lack of one.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 4:28 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

I haven't patched it, so i have no pause function.

But im kinda stuck, but I don't really think you'll remember. But anyway, after you have turned into a vampire, you'll be sent on a mission with that other guy, you are supposed to get some item back from a cathedral or something, i almoust finished it, i just have to defeat this mage... but he is impossible! He keep killing us.
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:01 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

I actually do remember that. That part was QUITE hard IIRC, however I don't really recall what I did to beat him.

I think I buffed the other guy (wilham I think) with the claw spell, the speed spell, and any other spells then buffed the main guy with speed, and any other spells.

Ohh and I remembered the other thing that I didn't like about the patch, which you may or may not like. The Patch allows for "Save anywhere", I just didn't see how hard it is to cast the spell that opens the doorway to the safe haven when I wanted to save.

EDIT:
*looks at my post number*
ACK I'm evil now, Gotta post another message quick.

Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:23 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Okay, I think I should get that patch! I was realy annoyed with the save thing. Anyway, is there someway to get more exp before i kill the mage? I mean, is there any sidequests or monsters somewhere?

Edit: Killed the mage... i also patched the game, works great, and I like the saving function. But how do i pause the game?
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:19 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

I think they added a pause function, I might have gotten it completly confused with the save anywhere. I never really downloaded the patch because I finished the game before it was released.

If they did add a pause I'd guess space.

You know, now that I'm reading the patch description, I'm not sure that they added a pause function, I think there may have always been a pause funtion.
quote:
Messages for certain actions during pause (cannot cast discipline, already busy, etc)

I think I just got "pause" and "save anywhere" confused.
It's been to long since I played the game, it's all foggy.

Oh yea,
quote:
Tweak down Mercurio's stats.

This was the guy you were trying to beat right? That might explain why he was so hard before the patch.

Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:55 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Ah, I think that was the guy... he is long dead now anyway.

I still don't know how to pause... space only stops your current action.
Post Wed Oct 16, 2002 11:48 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

This is from the patch's readme file.
quote:

9. PAUSE key on the keyboard will toggle the Pause Combat feature on and off

It doesn't say how to pause after it's toggled on though.
Try toggling it on then try pause. If that doesn't work look in the key config. If there's no config for pause I don't have a clue.

Post Wed Oct 16, 2002 5:07 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I was totally disappointed with just how wimpy your player is, even though he's a Vampire, in the SP game! Im serious here, for being a Vampire, your player goes down like a sack of potatoes pretty easily.I thought these things were all-powerful, Ive played White Wolf Vampire pnp, and personally like vamp lore, and this game cranks out a weak vamp to you to play with. And he doesnt get really very many good abilities anytime soon. After a few times, Im thinking"screw this, im opening this game up". I did some xp and other types of cheats to make my toon more Vamp-like, and then i had a reallly good time with the game. It was a while ago, but from what I can remember, also the team commands to your coterie mean practically nothing, and reigning them in can be a chore, as they run off to die again. And you can only play a Brujah for cryin out loud, which is *total* BS in my opinion.

The good tho, are the magnificent graphics. If'n ya got the pc to crank up the extras, do so for a mind-blowing gothic experience. But even on low settings, you still get an experience. The flickering torches, the curtains blowing in the wind, the dank dripping tunnels, the weeping statues reflecting moonlight in the graveyards, top notch, will put a lump in your throat and make you wanna progress just to see whats next. And the possibility of unimaginable violence and cruelty is realized as well. From grabbing a lovely maiden from behind, sinking your fangs into her neck, then tossing her aside like a rag doll, to wiping out an entire city street of citizens and police, this game can be a blast. I only do this after i have saved the game tho, and go back and reload and "play nice" with my real game, because if you are too cruel you lose humanity and end up an uncontrollable spazzing nut. Make a cruelty savegame, grab some machineguns and rocket launcher for you and yer minions and rock on!
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:18 pm
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm also a fan on the pnp version, and I've played several games in the WOD-series. My expectations were high and I was pretty disappointed about the game.

For the game itself, the controlling of your party is a real pain, just like xSamhainx said. The plot it quite nice, with an typical vampire atmosphere. I liked the beginning more than the end, though. The medieval atmosphere was more succesful than the modern-day one.

When comparing to the pnp, which maybe shouldn't be done but I'm doing it since the developer clearly stated that they want to bring the pnp-version to the computer, it's nothing like the original. The pnp Vampire focuses typically on the social and political aspect of unlife, the vampire society, atleast the Camarilla part is built up like a hyped-up version of a corrupt medieval court.

The CRPG focuses almost solely on combat, the plot is almost completely linear and the vampire character indeed starts off as a wuss by the normal standards. Come on, a Brujah getting his a** kicked by a couple of sad ghouls... About selecting Brujah as the only option, it's a plot thing. The prague at the time was a big city in vampire lore and Ecaterina was a really powerful character. It's a shame they don't focus on the anarch revolt more, though. Still, it would have been nicer to select from even a couple of suitable clans.

If you're not a Vampire-fan, you'll like the game if you like action-oriented linear CRPGs. Otherwise, it's not that good.

- Member of The Nonflamers' Guild -
- Member of The Alliance of Middle-Earth -
- Worshiper of Written Word -
- Proud supporter of E.H.U.A.O -
Post Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:42 pm