TES 4 Oblivion: New release date at official site is "e
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

TES 4 Oblivion: New release date at official site is "e

After four days of silence after the release delay announcement by Take Two Interactive, Bethesda Softworks have updated the Oblivion <a href="http://www.elderscrolls.com/games/oblivion_faq.htm" target="_blank">FAQ</A> with a new release date: "early 2006". No further comments from Pete Hines or Todd Howard so far, so the reason for the delay and for the silence still remains unknown. "Early 2006" is not a solid release date for sure, and it could well mean the same as T2's financial Q2 (February to April). If we know more, we will report again...
Post Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:17 am
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Does it amaze anyone here how bad the PR is at Bethesda? I mean a total disregard of the whole crpg community. It wasn't just their forum goer's that got the silent treatment, it is everyone. Pete Hines must be too good to talk to anyone that's not from Microsoft/Xbox anymore. At least that's the way the picture looks to me. It's a good thing the developers are good people. It sucks that the leadership over there is so bad.
Post Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:22 am
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by crpgnut
Does it amaze anyone here how bad the PR is at Bethesda? I mean a total disregard of the whole crpg community. It wasn't just their forum goer's that got the silent treatment, it is everyone. Pete Hines must be too good to talk to anyone that's not from Microsoft/Xbox anymore. At least that's the way the picture looks to me. It's a good thing the developers are good people. It sucks that the leadership over there is so bad.

I don't really see it that way. The way I see it is that there is a company making a CRPG. To date, that company has ZERO commitments to consumers because consumers have not spent any money on purchasing said CRPG ... since it isn't out yet.

It's been nice of Bethesda to release the information they have released about the game to consumers. But as a consumer who hasn't given Bethesda a dime for Oblivion (yet) because it isn't out, I can't bring myself to complain.
Post Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:35 am
deiland
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I don't know why everyone is bashing Bethsoft I think they werer being rushed to get this out for Christmas and they decided that the game was not ready. I'm glad they decided to make sure the game is done right before releasing. Espically since I'm getting the XBOX360 version

This game and Mass effect are the two games Im looking forward too on the XBOX360. I guess at launch I will play Kameo - elements Of Power while I wait for Oblivion to be polished up.
Post Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:36 am
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by TheMadGamer
I don't really see it that way. The way I see it is that there is a company making a CRPG. To date, that company has ZERO commitments to consumers because consumers have not spent any money on purchasing said CRPG ... since it isn't out yet.

It's been nice of Bethesda to release the information they have released about the game to consumers. But as a consumer who hasn't given Bethesda a dime for Oblivion (yet) because it isn't out, I can't bring myself to complain.

Hmmm, I'm not a Oblivion consumer. I'm a TES consumer. I have paid for Bethesda products. I'm in their customer database. Have you ever worked in sales? If you have a good customer who always purchases from you when you have a new product line, do you treat this customer like a stranger? No! This customer gets previews, samples, etc and you do everything in your power to keep him as a repeat customer. PR's primary job is to encourage the public to become a consumer, not to lose consumers by blatantly disregarding them.
Post Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:45 am
cabezone

quote:
quote:

Hmmm, I'm not a Oblivion consumer. I'm a TES consumer. I have paid for Bethesda products. I'm in their customer database. Have you ever worked in sales? If you have a good customer who always purchases from you when you have a new product line, do you treat this customer like a stranger? No! This customer gets previews, samples, etc and you do everything in your power to keep him as a repeat customer. PR's primary job is to encourage the public to become a consumer, not to lose consumers by blatantly disregarding them.

Wow all I heard there was WAHHHHHH!!!!!

Dude get a grip, it'll get released when ti's done. Does it really matter what the reason is?
Post Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:59 am

mute71
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Think its cool, the attitude. Release the game. It's mine. You promised.

I just come back from another thread at egosoft.com. You know. X3. It's beeing bashed to pieces by the same people demanding its release.

Good thing of bethesda to make the triple A product its supposed to be. It will still need patches, and it will still dissapoint a lot of people, but perhaps. The same people demanding the release and complaining the unfinished released version, will be fewer.

But anyway, some people will still say, whenever its released: "They delayed this product, and it still bugged?"

(Still beeing frustrated by users from Egosofts forums... sorry ! )
Post Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:57 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I am already looking forward to January 1st, when lots of fans will say "hey, it's early 2006, where is Oblivion"!

While I am usually defending game companies for their PR politics (I know this business from being in advertising and public relations for nearly 20 years now), I agree that PR looked not too good in this case. At the same time, I know how many obstacles you can run into when doing PR for something (starting with your own company that might not like too much PR at all), so I also know that we tend to bash the messenger for the message .
Post Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:45 am
slak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
quote:

I completely agree.
Post Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:13 pm
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I was not impressed. Of course they didn't have to do anything. But I don't like them any better now for not even attempting. In fact the only one who gave something like an explanation was MSFD, and he is a programmer! And that was only a one-liner "need more time to make it perfect", and no explantion why they couldn't talk before.
Post Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:19 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

quote:
Originally posted by GhanBuriGhan
I was not impressed. Of course they didn't have to do anything. But I don't like them any better now for not even attempting. In fact the only one who gave something like an explanation was MSFD, and he is a programmer! And that was only a one-liner "need more time to make it perfect", and no explantion why they couldn't talk before.

Although we all are curious minds, I don't think we will ever learn why they couldn't explain. My best guess is that there was some conflict of interest between marketing and development - marketing still heading for Xmas and development seeing that they would have released an unpolished product.

I think we will have to take it as it is. I wasn't impressed either, but I think I can understand...
Post Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:33 pm
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

It amuses me that people can read my post and think that I care about the delay. My gripe is and always has been about the lousy PR. I agree with everyone here that a delay for further bug squashing is a good thing. I played Daggerfall on its release date and it was unbearable. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth on the forums (Usenet: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg).
Post Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:06 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Will Live
Post Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:10 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
My gripe is and always has been about the lousy PR.

It's a let down to hear that an interesting game will be delayed. But I still don't see much problem, as a consumer, with the way this all went down. It was just a matter of a day or so when Pete posted on the forum what their primary reason for the delay is.

I don't like how whiny we, as gamers, are percieved by publishers, developers, and even girls who aren't gamers. We seem to find the negative angle in any event.

Look what happened to Dungeon Lords. They shipped the game and bad shape and everyone collectivley moaned... and in that case it was rightly so.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather a developer keep pushing a release out to the right for years to make a good game great and with each delay applaud and say whole-heartedly to keep up the good work.

Everyone moans when buggy unpolished games hit the market but as a gaming community we are so nasty about a game getting delayed. There are two ways a typical consumer can have a voice to big-name developers and publishers. The first and most obvious voice is the one you use with your wallet. The 2nd is the voice you use when a developer makes the right decision to postpone a release because, according to them, 'the game isn't finished yet.' We should have a collective and clear voice telling developers, good decision, keep up the great work... even when the developers don't delay the game from a PR perspective, 'just right.'

Either that or don't moan anymore when a buggy unpolished game you just spent 50 bucks for from a place you can't return it to hits the shelves.
Post Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:44 pm
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

The moaning, atleast for me, is about the way they handled information flow. I am absolutely fine with the decision to delay per se. In fact I had assumed it likely a delay would come long ago. Thats just what happens with games of this complexity.
Post Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:22 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next