Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
newbie again - i have several scrolls, spells, how do i use?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
johnnybravo1
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

newbie again - i have several scrolls, spells, how do i use?

i have done a field survey and found several scrolls and what look like magic spells.
i did not understand its use according to the game manual.
How do I use them ? equip and left click and throw them as a ranged weapon?
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:38 pm
Provok
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by johnnybravo1
equip and left click and throw them as a ranged weapon?

Well a piece of paper thrown at an enemy wouldn't do much harm, IMO

Well to equip them you can either clickon them or you can press a number from 4 to 9. Then you can press the number which has been allocated to your scroll and your character will "use" them.
You can then focus on a target if this this spell is offensive, or simply click and it will activate when it is non-offensive. The offensive ones usually have a "Damage" in the scroll's info.

Be careful though that some have a minimum mana which can be greater than your mana, so you cannot use them.
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:51 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

To be more specific, assign numbers 4-0 to your spell scrolls/runes. Then press that number to "arm" your hero with that item (you'll see him change posture and will usually have some sort of light coming from his hand). Then select your target (if it is an offensive spell) using the same key you use to select a target for your bow. Then release the spell using the same key you use to shoot your bow. Be sure to hold that key down until the spell releases, as some take awhile to build up (something you have to consider when facing charging beasts!).

There are a couple of spells that can take a variable amount of mana (the description will list min and max mana points). For those, hold the trigger key down until you have put as much mana into it as you want/can, then the spell releases when you release the trigger key.

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:02 pm
johnnybravo1
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by imposteraz
To be more specific, assign numbers 4-0 to your spell scrolls/runes. Then press that number to "arm" your hero with that item (you'll see him change posture and will usually have some sort of light coming from his hand). Then select your target (if it is an offensive spell) using the same key you use to select a target for your bow. Then release the spell using the same key you use to shoot your bow. Be sure to hold that key down until the spell releases, as some take awhile to build up (something you have to consider when facing charging beasts!).

There are a couple of spells that can take a variable amount of mana (the description will list min and max mana points). For those, hold the trigger key down until you have put as much mana into it as you want/can, then the spell releases when you release the trigger key.

Thank you, it is very easy, the way you tell. A couple of questions - (a) should I have runes or something to activate the spells? (b) Can I do a mass attack with a single spell casting? I am visiting a black globin camp, my strength is very low, my level is 4 and hitting an running is not an option - and i have a good strategic place above to initiate ranged attacks unmolested.
Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:31 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

A rune is a re-useable version of a scroll. For instance you can cast fire arrow and you will need one fire arrow scroll for each cast. If you have fire arrow rune, you can cast it over and over forever......if ya have the mana.

NOTR changed the mana costs making a rune use MUCH more mana each cast, so sometimes you might want to use a scroll instead of the same rune.

A rune is CREATED from a scroll.....so to make a rune you need a blank runestone, the scroll you want to use, and you have to learn how to create that particular rune. For example to make a Wave of Death rune, you need a blank runestone, Wave of Death scroll, and learning to create the new rune.

Scrolls like Wave of Death, Rain of Fire, and several others are quite rare. So if you want a rune of that scroll, ya better not cast the scroll.

You asked about a combined magic attack.....you can only cast one spell at a time. Of course you can use the hotkeys to switch quickly from one scroll/rune to another..........but you need ALOT of mana to make multiple casts. It is wise to plan what runes you will use in the game for each chapter and try to attain enough mana to cast it at least twice.....three is better.

You mentioned finding a safe place for an attack.......do that is a big help in Gothic. For the goblin cave near the tavern I get them chasing me outside and climb the rocks next to the cave entrance. Hit caps lock so you don't walk off the rocks, and fire away at them

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:08 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

johnnybravo1,

Uriziel has some very good advice there!

Also, there are 5 basic types of spells (either scroll or rune):

1.Single target at range (Fire Arrow, Ice Block, etc.).
2.Single target at range, but affects others standing near target (Small Fire Storm, etc.).
3.No target, affects all near hero (Rain of Fire, Ice Wave, etc.).
4.Affects hero only (Healing, Transform into, etc.).
5.Summoning.

You should play around with each new spell you find and see exactly how it works before you go into combat with it for real!

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:08 pm