Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
I'm struggling to roleplay non-combatic character...?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Kane
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm struggling to roleplay non-combatic character...?

I just thought I'd request some information from the wealth of knowledge that floats around these boards...

I'm playing a thief. I made my own class called 'Catbuglar', and he's just that. Acrobatics, athletics, sneak, security...all the hardcore thief skills. The ONLY combat skills he has shortblade and light armour, but they remain somewhat underdeveloped.

I've been playing for about 4 days now, and after leaving for the Dwemer ruins for one of the main plot quests, and then getting my ass kicked by some mad mage on the bridge near the ruins (and finding no non-combatic alternative to get inside), I am starting to wonder...

Now my main question is:

How successfully can I go about playing the main quest without drawing arms all the time? Have Bethesda seriously (like i suspect) let down those of us who don't neccessarily want to roleplay (all of our characters) as combat characters?

I've not crawled through any official statements by Bethesda reps on any boards or anything, so any information is appreciated. Thanks.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:29 am
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Thief is tougher but doable

Thieves can make it through the game fine. You do need to be a Tamriel thinking thief though, not an earth thinking thief. To bypass the mage, bypass the bridge completely. Come in from a different direction and sneak or avoid the mage. One way is through the use of invisibilty or camoflauge spells. Remember a Tamrielic thief will often use illusion magic to aid his stealthy endeavors. You could decide to take the mage out too.
Make sure to sneak up behind him and attack with a shortblade that has
a debilitating effect. Something like paralyze would be great. Seek out weapons that have this effect. Shop around in Balmora....
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 3:04 am
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

There's no way you're gonna be able to play your way through Morrowind without having to fight over and over and over. I think you're doomed to wait (like the rest of us) for Deus Ex 2 that supposedly has non violence solutions to every problem encountered in the game. A "moral statement" as the press release said.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:35 am
sooth
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

i dont know, i think crpgnut may be onto something...I have thought about that approach, and it has merit. another way to distract an adversary would be to summon an undead creature or beast. but, you gotta face facts, kane, there are NPCs that are out to kill you and take your gear....you gotta do or die.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 5:41 am
FireAnt
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I don't know this for sure as i have not come near to finishing this game but i assume....THIS SHOULDN'T BE A SPOILER AS I AM ONLY GUESSING BUT THIS MAKES SENSE TO ME the end boss (if there is one which there is in almost every game) will require some fighting and if there is one i doubt you will be able to sneak by him.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:27 am
Prgrmr@wrk
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Actually, you CAN sneak past the final boss no prob, and do what you... um... have to do, without killing him for real. He gets really ticked though, and calls you names for skulking around, and not facing him. Meh.

Anyways, you just need to wait until you have some camo items. I have a skirt I made with 24% chameleon, and with my hide of 100 (even at 70 this worked) I can just crouch in front of any attacker, and he calms down. I can walk right past them at will. You'll get a "ring of surroundings" pretty soon (should've had it already). Actually, I just remembered you need to kill 5 ppl for that ring. But you might be able to steal it from the guy who wants them killed. Fort moonmoth, Guy in the back, bottom room.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:10 am
Guest Dare

Chameleon is the shiznit!!

I put chameleon constant effect on all my clothing type items and when I put it all on I end up well over 100% chameleon. hee hee, then I forget to take it off and try to talk to people .
They're like "Who's there?" and their disposition drops by about 5-10 points, lol.

Once you get 100% chameleon constant effect you can go anywhere and do anything pretty much without being attacked/noticed. And if you add 100 sneak on top of it your guaranteed to be the best thief ever!
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:34 am

Kane
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks ;)

THanks for the reply CRPGnut. I realise that you're correct thinking about a Tamriel thief vs an Earth thief. I suppose I should seek out some items and garner some magic skill before going on an outing. I reckon it is for the most part playable as a non-combatic character...

Thanks.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:59 pm
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Re: Thanks ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Kane
THanks for the reply CRPGnut. I realise that you're correct thinking about a Tamriel thief vs an Earth thief. I suppose I should seek out some items and garner some magic skill before going on an outing. I reckon it is for the most part playable as a non-combatic character...

Thanks.

No problem, Kane! I'm playing a non-combatant in one of my games. She is a healer/thief and like you only uses shortblade and light armor. She has
a Dwemer Jinksword as her main weapon and rarely uses it. Her sneak is very high and she uses a lot of chameleon spells. I've also developed alchemy enough to make telekinesis potions. They're nice for those hard
to reach chests/doors.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:14 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

Levitate is also useful for avoiding fights such as at that bridge. Just got to be carefull that you don't run into any cliffracers

I suspect the game may be completable with no fighting but I suspect you'll miss out on a lot of side quest and the like. The game is however completable with a shortblade and light armour - trust me
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:14 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

There are two mini-bosses I can't think you can get away from without killing. Actually, you prolly can get away with only one.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:26 pm
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Oohh.. Read the Deus Ex 2 Interview: http://www.gaminghorizon.com/features/dx2interview.php
Sounds like the perfect game to be a pacifist in!

And yes, there are a few people you need to kill in Morrowind.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:55 pm