Usergroups
Morrowind Issue
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Elfin Goodness

Morrowind Issue

Okay, a couple small issues after a day of play:

Bethesda- something must be added to Morrowind to allow me, the player, to see how much damage is being done to an enemy.

In the REAL world, if I were to attack a man or beast with a sword, I could *see* damage being done. Blood, gore, loss of limbs- these are results of combat. In the real world, I would have a sense of how my opponent was fairing, and whether I should turn and run or finish him off.

If Morrowind is supposed to be so "realistic", why was this aspect neglected? I mean, a simple change in character "skins" could display health level and give the player an idea how close to death his enemy is.

If this is an issue with game ratings, then realistic damage should have been replaced with statisical damage. A simple health bar could have been just as good.

Also, I actally enjoy seeing how much damage has been delivered by me, or on to me by an enemy. Let's face it: the thrill of an RPG is in the dice rolls. A small text window at the bottom of the screen, displaying attack rolls and damage, would make Morrowind a much greater game. As it is now, I have no idea how much damage I am delivering, or having done to me. I feel completely detached from combat.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:56 pm

Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Im suprised to hear that! In most RPG games you use to see your enemise health, or how much damage you make...
Post Fri May 03, 2002 3:06 pm
RPG nut

I noticed this too. it sucks.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 4:17 pm

Sand

I noticed it too. "Sucks" isn't the word I would use, although there's no doubt the game would have benefitted from some kind of feedback along these lines.

In most RPGs, you magically know how much health an opponent has, which is a bit lame. In MW, if you haven't fought something before, you have /no way/ of knowing how much damage it will take to kill. I like this: it introduces uncertainty, and really makes you think twice before taking something new on. So far, no problem.

When you are fighting something familiar, you can pretty much keep track, roughly, of how much damage you are doing. Again, no big problem -- it would be nice to not have to keep track.

When fighting a group of enemies, however, you hit a big problem. If you are moving around, you won't necessarily be able to keep track of which ones you have hit already. Result: tactical disadvantage. A problem.

All this side, I just think it would have been cool to come across wounded/dying NPCs as a part of quests. Oh well, have to leave something for TES4.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 4:56 pm

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

The best indicator of how well a fight goes is your own health bar. I am happy with Bethesda's decision.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 4:59 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

I actually agree with both sides of this argument..I can see points from either party..

I think the best fix to this would be to have something like 'statistical analysis' numbers. This would be an option in the setup screen, allowing a player to either turn on or leave off something like hit point indicators when in combat. A slider, health bar, or just numbers...

That way, people could leave things as they are, and play by watching their OWN health, or toggle a switch to see the enemies health appear...

Perhaps in an upcoming patch...
Post Fri May 03, 2002 6:42 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Canīt someone make a mod with that then?
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Fri May 03, 2002 7:05 pm