Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Consoles...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Who's headin'/gonna win the console wars?
PS2
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
X-Box
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
GC
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
All fair ground, no leaders or losers!
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

Author Thread
isaac
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Consoles...

Note: It's really long. So, don't read it if you don't want to. lol. On to the post...

Now that all these new price drops are vaguely settling in my mind, and since E3 is over, one has to wonder where opinions stand right now. I'm not sure I've read too much opinions as to who thinks the header for the console wars is at the moment, or even if there is one.

In the past, I was completely and utterly against forking over some smackaroos for the "Blech-box." But now, with all these new games such as Project Ego/Fable, Splinter Cell, Blinx: The Timesweeper, Panzer Dragoon Orta, blah blah....I don't know. I'm having second thoughts.

I already have a GC and a PS2, and GC has an AMAZING line-up (Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox...etc. etc., you've heard about 'em all), but now there's the question for the PS2: I don't see anything really worth getting. Nothing excites me at all. Sure, there are tons of games coming out for it, but how much of those are ports? Most, with a few exclusive rights thrown in here and there, and even then, usually after a year does the game lose it's exclusiveness to the system. Kingdom Hearts, maybe. I'm still freaked about it. Red Dead Revolver looks partially interesting, but there's no real garner of my interest to it.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my PS2...at least for the time I've had it. Now? I'm not quite sure there's much love to shake a stick at (not sure if pun was intended) in the future.

Even Sony's head is sayin' that the X-box is putting pressure, and so maybe we might see the end of the PS2's cycle relatively soon.

I don't know. Two or three months ago, I never would have even THOUGHT about trading in my PS2 for an X-box. Now...well, I'd figure you'd get the picture.

The only ever real problem I had with the Box is 1) Microsoft 2) Hamburger controller. Microsoft has proven it's stability (not considering the early stuff on system crashes and "smelly systems") and the Controller S, both are solved.

Sure, Microsoft is losin' more money than you can just...uh...shake a hamburger at, but hey, check out the games. Man oh man..

I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong about all of it. Apologies for my long-windedness, now I'd like to hear what you think.

peace,
isaac.
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:16 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

don't trade in the PS2 man. even if most of the games right now aren't all that apetizing, those coming up will most certainly be worth the wait. now with the x-box, the microsoft part brings the score waaaaaaaaaay down. the graphics have a miniscule improvement over PS2, and you won't be able to notice it at all, i know i can't. so my advice: stick with the PS2, and if you happen to find a few hundred dollars lying on the ground, spring for the x-box.

oh and chuck the GC.
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:43 am
isaac
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

lol...ps2 man i see. any particular games worth mentioning that are wroth the wait? and there are some discrepencies between ps2 and x-box. take virtua fighter 4 and dead or alive 3, for example. jaggies are present in vf4, doa3 smooth as silk, with great environs (not discounting vf4's) and whatnot. maybe i'm just a visuals junkie (which could be the case *grins*).

anyway, "chuck the GC?" hey, it was an x-mas present. no loss for me. hehe. and come on, you have to admit, the new zelda in motion is absolutely wonderful.

that's all i wrote.

isaac.
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:21 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

yeah...you could get virtua fighter 4.

...or you could wait a few months and get TEKKEN 4! just one of many examples. like GTA3. and that one's out now!!

as for GC i never cared for zelda. i think i played a few of the first ones on gameboy, but thats it.
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:57 am
isaac
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

lol...tekken 4 seems to be a rehash of tekken 3 with jin kazama losing his moves and prettier graphics. i'm looking more forward to soul calibur 2. and i prefer gta3 on my computer, thanks to the joys of keyboard and mouse.

and never cared for zelda? hm. metroid?
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:02 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

i thought you were a graphics buff! you should be going gaga over T4's graphics. and as far as i can tell from the arcade version jin has more moves.

and don't forget the scantily clad J.Lo look alike!!

wonder how many ppl will buy it for that reason alone...

and i remember messing around with soulcalibur one time. i loved the game SoulEdge. ever heard of it? it's similar to soulcalibur only (in my opinion) better. i've been looking for a sequel, but it's been like 3 years and i haven't seen one.

metroid? i don't think i've even heard of it!
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:13 am
isaac
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

lol yes yes, the graphics are quite nice, i admit. i just miss jin's old fighting style ah well.

as for christie, the J.Lo look alike...lol, it's eddy's fighting style and i've had ENOUGH of him. *grins*

soul edge better than soul calibur? you're kidding me! soul calibur is the sequal to soul edge, and imo, there is no other title on the dreamcast that could beat it, even though sc was a launch title! soul calibur 2 is readying for launch and is supposed to be THE fighting game.

and you haven't heard of metroid?! *GASPS!*

peace, love, and polygons.
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:25 am

for ps2, you might want to try shadow hearts. its a pretty nice rpg.. much better than ffx, in my opinion. state of emergency is a good rental, but not exciting enough to own..

if you didnt own a psx beforehand, id reccomend looking back at some of the old games they have, if you can stand the graphics. tactics ogre, vandal hearts, suikoden, and tales of destiny are jus tsome of the good game sive managed to find for it.

granted, a lot of those require liking tactical rpgs, and being able to handle/enjoy console rpg linearity. since i was raised on them more than on crpgs, i tend to enjoy both about equally.
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:36 am

isaac
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

eh, i enjoyed ffx better than shadow hearts. thank you though.

state of emergency made me bitter. lol. don't ask.

and i've played all the psx stuff that you recommended. psx is still a classic system, but i'd rather get a psone for to haul around to play the games with.

again, thanks!
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:46 am