Usergroups
I DON'T GET IT! (Armor in MW)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Arkyn

I DON'T GET IT! (Armor in MW)

I really don't get it:

Is there ANY reason for a mage/thief to NOT choose Heavy armor as major/minor skill?

In other words: It seems to me, that even in heavy armor, you can still sneak/cast without any drawback.

So its useless to choose light/medium armor because heavy armor got much better AC.

The only reason could be (stupid ?) roleplaying???

I am wrong ?

*SIGH*
Post Wed May 15, 2002 8:46 am

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Stupid roleplaying? *g*

Heavy armor is just that: heavy. So in order to be able to carry a lot of items and to move fast, you will have to concentrate on your strength whilst leveling. This means neglecting your mana increase. You will have a hard time starting out, and your character will become more and more of a fighter.

It's actually easier the other way round: Start as strong fighter and develop magical skills.

And if you want to roleplay a mage with heavy armor - do that.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 9:28 am

OK I explain:

I do see a sense in roleplaying in:

* Pen & Paper RPGs
* Sometimes in MP RPGs

NOT in a single player RPG though. I do not benefit at all from saying: "Hey, did you see that Computer???"

Anyway.

I am aiming to become a fighter/mage with headstart as fighter (str 50-60) and some decent up-spelling on the later levels.

Thats why I was asking.

I most of the RPGS I know, heavy armor makes it much more difficult to use thievery skills like pickpocket or sneak and has severe drawbacks on your spellcasting power...
Post Wed May 15, 2002 10:04 am

Arkyn

Guest above = Arkyn
Post Wed May 15, 2002 10:15 am

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

To wear heavy armor you must spend time developing skills other then your magic skills. So those will be weaker. Simple as that. But really, if you dont like to RP in a SP game, why buy a SP RP game?
Post Wed May 15, 2002 10:18 am
Arkyn

Thats very simple?

I like to level up, become stronger, cast powerful spells, gather cool equipment, watch the story line...

But for this I prefer a thief in full plate armor over to 'so cool roleplayed' mage in robes only with fear from animals and hatred for women

P.S.: My all time SP RPG _yet_ is still Planescape: Torment if you care...
Post Wed May 15, 2002 10:23 am

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Ah well, to each his own eh? But be warned that a thief using Heavy armor will be overburdened soon, will have HUGE fatique problems, and will have weaker thieving skills since you are practicing your Combat skills.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 10:26 am
Arkyn

The full plate thief was just an example. Actually I was talking about a char starting out as fighter and being able to spell himself up (heal/shield etc.) up later in the game...

Like Major Skills as:

Alteration/Mysticism
Block
Long Sword
Heavy Armor
Restoration

P.S.: Let's end this to RP or not to RP discussion. It always became a terrible mess since years now
Post Wed May 15, 2002 10:32 am

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Ah I see. Well, since there are some mage/warrior hybrid chars pre-made I assume it should be not much of a prob to make one yourself that works. Mind you, I still aint got it (dont we all love ubisoft?).

So you want to quit the RP: Yes/No Discussion? Fine. I'll start the 0.9_=1 discussion instead

Have fun
Post Wed May 15, 2002 10:48 am

You are my wittiest person of the day now, Mephisto.

Thanks for everything still!
Post Wed May 15, 2002 10:55 am

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I won't quit the RP discussion, sorry.

We'll put up the review of Morrowind today or tomorrow, and one point I will make that Morrowind isn't a game, but a gaming environment. This means it is open to abuse without end. And i am really convinced that you'll get the most fun out of this environment if your roleplay. For people doing power leveling, this game will become boring in less than 50 hours. Those NOT going for the perfect skill rise per se, but rising skills through their actions, the fun will last for months.

It has been the same with Daggerfall then. You were able to build characters that were invincible after a few hours into the game. But you weren't roleplaying then in a classical way.

Back to the fighter/mage thingie. Yes, it can be done, but I still think IF you want to wear heavy armor, you should concentrate on being a fighter. Mages can compensate with shield spells and shield enchantments, which, btw, are more powerful than the best armor in the game.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 11:22 am
Uruz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

You'd have to cast a lot of shield spells, or one really powerful one to beat the 250 or so AC of a full suit of Daedric armour + Maximum Heavy armour skill But I imagine in the end they'd balance out roughly the same.

Here's a question: If you've seen the Resist Normal Weapons spell(it's in a ring I got from a Vampire), what counts as normal weapons? Would that be any normal weapon, or just anything under silver?

Word to the wise, if you do use Heavy armour, also work on your Armourer skill. After clearing out a Dwemer ruin and Daedric shrine, you're likely to incur 500 drakes work of repair at smith. If you're a good armourer, you can fix it with a Journeyman's Armourers hammer or two for 50.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 11:51 am
Arkyn

Rendelius: If you call using the given possibilities of a game 'abusing', I like to abuse, right. Thing is: My time limited and I honestly don't have a good feeling 'wasting' more than 70h/game.

Thats the reason I like to play powerful combinations if possible.

I do not use editors/hacks though to raise my stats/set equipment. That spoils even my point of fun.

The main reason for a game being a nice 'waste' for me is still 'looking for whats happening' (storyline) rather than spending ages on developing my own char (Again, unlike at MP RPS like MUDs).

Uruz: I know from MW 1.0 that at least bite/claw attacks from animals do not count as normal weapons, i.e. even with immunitie to normal weapons, you get HIT... Not very helpful, eh?

But my original question has been answered, I have an image now
I am aware its not possible to build up a 100%fighter/100%mage. But I'd like to have something like 75%fighter/25%mage and this should be achievable I guess.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 12:07 pm

EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

My dwarf always carries around a hammer or 3 and repairs after every battle. He's a perfectionist master smith after all. I don't care if you can get more mileage out of the hammers by waiting until it drops about a quarter in quality before repair. A dwarven warrior-smith running around with less than pristine weapons and armor at any time! The horrors! Now if only I could find a soul trapping spell and get my enchant up 5 points to 35...

My ogre just uses things until they break, chucks them, kills someone else and uses their weapon until it breaks.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed May 15, 2002 12:12 pm
Arkyn

Dwarf and Ogre!

I'd check out Demi-god & Immortal then probably. I guess some of my main MW character problem would be void then...
Post Wed May 15, 2002 12:28 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next