View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Jenny
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Multi Class question

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone is still checking in here and can answer a question for me. I'm wondering about multi classing a character. I have a level 16 or 17ish ranger that I wanted to use for some alchemy possibly. I'm pretty sure his rangerly skills are just about maxed and for the last several levels I've had spells made available to choose from (although I haven't picked any). I've noticed his main magic skill is alchemy and I put a few points into that (and air hoping to be able to use him as a portal caster but that hasn't worked yet). I tried to use him to combine a low level potion (mod sta + mod heal) and it wouldn't let me.

Is there an actual option somewhere that I have to use to pick a new class or is it just as easy as pumping up skills for the secondary class I choose? Am I too late to switch him at this point (or possibly too early)?

Thanks
Post Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:18 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

It's not too late to multiclass. If you've advanced as far as you'd like in Ranger, then go ahead and switch over to another class. I was usually able to build up my Ranger's Alchemy ability just fine by casting passive spells and combat spells against ranged opponents. Those seeker lizards were the best for training up your spell skills simply by casting your weaker spells. My Monk became quite the mentalist by casting Insanity on anything I came across.
Post Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:34 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Disclaimer first- I've never been a fan of class-switching, so my opinion might be a bit biased.

A mid-game switch from ranger to alchy will gain you almost nothing and cost you a convenient skill or two. The bonus to the alchemy skill won't have much value to you in the mid-game (at level 17, you're most likely mid-game), while losing the autosearch and ranged criticals will be unpleasant. As Val has pointed out, practice will allow you to boost your magic skills more than enough to get the job done.

A few pointers- the "lowest" mixing combo is light heal + moderate heal = heavy heal. It requires an alchemy skill of 15 and can be reasonably profitable if you're willing to "farm" the various merchants in the game. The recipe you mentioned requires a skill of 20. Also, you won't be able to cast a 5th level spell like portal until you meet a couple requirements. You'll have to be level 16 (level 11 for pure casters, got that one covered already), and you'll need 60 "credits". Your "credits" for being able to cast a spell are your skill in the relevant book (alchemy, divinity, wizardry, psionic) plus 10% of your skill in the relevant realm (fire, air, earth, water, mental, divine). Obviously, it's going to be a good while before any hybrids (combat classes that gain magic) are casting level 5 spells.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:09 am
Jenny
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks for your replies. I think I will just stick with my ranger being a ranger. I am mid game now so just practicing those skills to get them up seems like the best way to go I think.

Thanks again. Nice to see you all still around. =)
Post Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:40 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

We never left.
Post Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:48 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
You'll have to be level 16 (level 11 for pure casters, got that one covered already), and you'll need 60 "credits".

Just one point of clarification: Hybrids are 4 levels behind pure casters as far as spells go. So the minimum requirement is level 15.

More thoughts on class-changing: I generally do not class change either as a characters performance is also based on their actually level. Even if characters have a skill maxed out, they will still get better with levels. So the performance of the character is not just tied to attributes and skills, but also to level. For example, when a pure caster is eligible to cast level 7 spells and their spellbook and realm where at 100 each, they would not be able to cast that spell completely in the green until many character levels later. So IMO, stick with one class (there are a few noted exceptions, but these are usually the first few levels of a character).
Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:52 pm