Members
Usergroups
Cant improve FPS even if I try!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
MamoVaka

Cant improve FPS even if I try!

Guys I just tried to play this game at 1/2 distance and I was absolutely astonished to notice literally only 2 or 3 fps more if ANY

my system is
xp1900
512 geforce 4 ti4600
sb audigy

Now I get 11 fps in cities like ebonheart. on this rig, no shadows 1/2 view distance and 1/4 AI my fps still go as low as 13 is not 11 anyway, there is prtty much no difference from max detail!!!!!

THIS GAME PEOPLE IS EXTREMELY F'ing MESSED UP
I score between 9200 and 10000 on 3dmark dependinf on whether I am using turbo mode or not

Also turbo mode seems to make my cpu run unstable anyone know how to fix that?
Post Mon May 06, 2002 1:37 pm

-=mASTa=-

???

I've seen many things, but I've never seen such a COMPELETE, FINISHED, IDIOTIC LAMER as you . Dude, I ve got Duron1.0/256DDR/GF3Ti200 (everything overclocked)and run the game with maxed out settings in 1024x768 with 16-40FPS.
You certanly need to get "An Idiot's Guide: Using a High End Computer (with Top VideoCard)" book.

hATe lAMERs
Post Mon May 06, 2002 1:59 pm

MamoVaka

Masta it's time for the SMACKDOWN!

Ok you rude little man/woman let me just straighten you out like a little monkey.

If I am indeed doing something wrong please let me know. The turbo option I cannot turn on because soyo has issues with it right now.

I get about 9300 3dmark2001se score right now, which is pretty much what I should be getting according to people I talk to for my system, there is NO GAME out right now that crushes my pc besides medal of honor (which doesnt run at all right now due to the new patch not working with ifeel mice, idiots)

If you know SO much more than I do about using a high end pc why dont you be helpful and TELL me what I am doing wrong

Got the newest VIA drivers, newest audigy drivers, newest geforce 4 drivers. What else do I need? Got nothign running in the background use tweak xp also to optomize... what else is there?
Post Mon May 06, 2002 2:06 pm

HimalayanJake

have you tried....

Please try all the steps in the topic "WANT TO PLAY MORROWIND, then DOWNLOAD THIS FILE NOW!!!" in this forum (Morrowind General).

If it does not work let me know there, we may be able to sort you out.
Please read all the postings there. Some clarifications are given after the first post.

I know how upsetting it can be when you wait for a game and it doesn't work out of the box. That's why I made that topic.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 2:14 pm

MamoVaka

I did that

I use the nocd crack, it seems to work in slowing down stutters but the framerates are still tearing the anus out of my pc
Post Mon May 06, 2002 2:35 pm

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Lets try to spot the prob then. Turn it to 640x480 with all details OFF. Play for some minutes. Is the performance ok? If it is, increase res/detail until the stutter arrives.

Try to dissable 3d sound. If it still stutters at 640x480 all off, come back.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 2:39 pm
saracen31

No kidding, I have a GF2 and using shadows & full view distance, I get the same performance as you. Something's up if you're not getting better fps. What drivers do you have? The 28.90 beta drivers?
Post Mon May 06, 2002 2:48 pm

Galdaen Sunfire
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

How much memory do you have? This seems to effect framerates also.

My PC
Athlon XP 1800+
512MB Ram
G4 Ti4400

I am getting between 18-95 FPS depending on where I am. I have 4X AA turned on and have everything in MW at max running at 1152x864.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 1:51 pm
Maverikm
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

MamoVeka, you should be getting decent performance ingame.

My comp:(a modified Compaq mind you)
AMD Tbird 1.3 ghz
256mb DDR RAM
GeForce4 Ti 4400 using the Beta 29.11 drivers
SB Audigy latest XP drivers from Creative
Win XP Home ED.
Virtual Memory set to 512 MB
Nearly everything shut off in the background
I score in the 8500's in 3DMark (heck, I even get 49 fps in the nature test) here's the link
http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=3427426

Running the game in 1280 X 960 X 32
Using Quiccunx AA
Pixel Shading ON
AI Distance 1/4
3D Audio ON
View Distance MAXXED
Shadows FULL

My framerates in different areasare as follows:
Starting town 15 - 25
Dungeon near starting town mid 30's
Inside the lighthouse 70-100
Outside in the Red mountain Region during a sandstorm in the 30's
Balmora High teens to mid 20's
Balmora South Wall cornerclub in the mid 40's

So you definately have to tweak your system some more. Just be thankful these aren't the days of good ole Messy DOS....erm MS-Dos When in order to get a new game to run you had to edit your config.sys files, autoexec.bat files, load the drievers ina certain order, use himem, emm386 or not etc....., heh.

Bottom line: you need to tweak out your system some more
Post Fri May 10, 2002 2:22 pm
Breakapart
Village Leader
Village Leader

This weekend i'll hopefully find the time to throw together a short adventure log of screenshots. Almost all of them should have the fps listed in the bottom right corner. Then you can use those to compare your system to mine.

Here is (1) pic i posted last night after getting tired of all this fps crying. It was taken in balmora directly infront of the tradesman shop, which is the building across the street from the mage/fighter guild houses.

http://home.attbi.com/~buckybear/

34fps@1280x960, full view, no shadows, in balmora.
I average about 29fps in that city.
P4 1.8@2.0
Win2000
Geforce3
512mb
Post Fri May 10, 2002 2:43 pm
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Galdaen Sunfire: try 1600x1200 with no fsaa, should look just as good and will be much smoother.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 2:45 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Mephisto
Galdaen Sunfire: try 1600x1200 with no fsaa, should look just as good and will be much smoother.

I am actually very happy with my framerates. I did try 1600 and it played smooth with similar framerates, but the text was a bit small.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 3:45 pm

Galdaen Sunfire
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
quote:
Originally posted by Mephisto

I am actually very happy with my framerates. I did try 1600 and it played smooth with similar framerates, but the text was a bit small.

Oops, forgot to login!
Post Fri May 10, 2002 3:47 pm