Thats it......Why?????
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Stevethemad
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thats it......Why?????

Ok, why should i keep playing this game?? Did the monastory lvls without much trouble, sneaked and dodged my way to Anrika, searched and did Anrika without much trouble... well off i go to Trynton ( or try to find it ), fought 2 battles with bugs and pices, won . Then walked into a group of 5 lvl7 Piercer Mordei, should not be to hard for a group of 8 lvl8/9 nope 3 dead, but i won. Took a breath, and there is 12 lvl7/9 bats, eek i say and run to no avail, can not out run them......THE END.

I played some hard games in my time, but this takes the biscuit, im playing on normal llike i always do with all games, my group is made up of a lord,valkyrie,samurai,mage ( never understand why these always have low hp and AC, bloody PAIN ),bishop and a gadgeteer.

The only way i can see to do this is to start again for the 4th time and give all the exp points to skills which they already statrd, but this makes the char building part of the game pointless YOUR supposed to be able to create the char you want!!!!

I try to give the Val ands lord 2 magics ( for heal and stamia spells ) give samurai 1 magic ( light spell ) and leave the good stuff to the mage and bishop, but this eats pts.

Well anyway thats 5 days of game play wasted, back to Gothic i suppose unless someone give s me good reason to play the same part of the game a 4th time........

Well thanks anyway, off to get something to eat and maybe start again ( or £35 of good idea wasted )
Post Mon Sep 09, 2002 1:23 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Unfortunately, I think the Trynton-Arnika road is unbalanced. You really should check out the hints thread (the sticky thread). It has no spoilers and a whole lot of useful tips that will make your life a lot easier. If this is your first time with wizardry, then you may want to pick an easier group to play with (i.e. base classes that level faster (fighter, mage, priest, etc)). One of the most useful tips is practicing magic with your spellcasters. That means cast all of your defensive spells all the time to build up your characters' skills. These defense spells also have beneficial effects that will help you. When I first played Wiz 8 I didn't even leave the Monestary until I'd beefed up my Mage to 100 in Fire and Water with Divine close behind and my Priest to 100 in Divine. My minor casters (Ranger and Monk) were also able to act as back-up healers and attack casters if things got too unpleasant.
One of the best tips is to use the terrain to your advantage. There are many niches in the road where you can lure monsters to. They'll be forced to come at you one at a time (now they are easy pickings). They'll also be lined up and packed together so area-effect spells like fireball, iceball, etc can do devastating amounts of damage.
Check out that tips thread as soon as you can.
Post Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:03 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Hi Stevethemad,

Wizardry 8 was my first RPG (there were only Diablo 1 and 2 and FPSs before it) and it was hard for me to learn it, but I loved it and I was able to finish it. So it is possible - and it is possible without too much troubles.
Here is what you can try:
- Train your characters a little bit more. Monsters are harder if you are stronger, but it is not so easy. I think that whole areas make jumps (new creatures, higher level creatures) in some moments in game (I think it could be denpendand on point in game and also on your characters level). So it could really help to return to some previous areas and make your characters little bit stronger.
- Also choose places for your battles. You can use hills and corners ect. I cannot say do this or this. What is best for your party depends on your party. Do you have strong range fighters or melee fighters?...
- Do some experiments with formations. It could be very important.

I collected hints from this forums into several articles on RPGDot main page. You can find link - as Val said - in first thread on this page. Read them, I hope they can be (or some of them) useful for you.

Good luck. I hope you will have enough patient for this game. It was great time for me to play it and to finish it.
Post Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:27 pm