Gamespy's Buyer's Guide for the RPGer in Your Life
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Gamespy's Buyer's Guide for the RPGer in Your Life

Looking for an idea for that little Sylvan Elf in your life? Need a quick thought to give a relative for the game you've just been dying to play? Head over to <a href="http://buyersguide.gamespy.com/2005/pc/5.html" target="_blank">Gamespy PC</a> for a look at their list of holiday RPG gift ideas.
Post Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:46 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

What a horrible list Gamespy has thrown together.

Bloodlines and Sith Lords are still better than most if not all RPGs out this year, certanily more beyond last years available.

Three of the Six suggested RPGs are MMO games that is just sad.

They care so little for the PC industry, instead of providing a list of very good RPGs to show how good RPGs can be they give us a list of average games, mostly not even RPGs.
Post Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:08 am
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Acleacius

Bloodlines and Sith Lords are still better than most if not all RPGs out this year, certanily more beyond last years available.

They care so little for the PC industry, instead of providing a list of very good RPGs to show how good RPGs can be they give us a list of average games, mostly not even RPGs.

Well in all fairness Gamespy can list whatever RPGs that they want to recomend.

Of course you and I both now know never to rely on Gamespy for RPG recomendations.
Post Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:34 am
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:

You can't blame them for that. All that the industry is producing now with any enthusiasm is MMORPG's.
Post Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:12 pm

quote:
Originally posted by doctor_kaz

You can't blame them for that. All that the industry is producing now with any enthusiasm is MMORPG's.

It's the future, man. Catch the new wave! (whoa, groovy)
Post Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:46 pm

Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The sad part is that very good single player games are given multiplayer capabilities that just do NOT mesh. My case in point would be the two Divinities. While I loved both of them for their single-player game, I absolutely hated playing either one in multiplayer. It just didn't make sense to me and the experience was not satisfying.

Unfortunately, the trend in gaming these days is the MMO bent. Equally unfortunate, is the proclivity of EVERY game to try to capitalize on that trend.

BUT...in fairness to Gamespot, they are simply echoing the industry trend and championing the best of what's out there in their opinions. Add to that the fact that they put SP RPGs in with MMORPGs. That was a mistake and there should have been separate categories for each.
Post Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:38 am
evil_lemming
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

that list reminded me of what a sucky year for RPGs this has been...thank god we have some hopeful gems out next year
Post Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:41 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

It doenst do anything but harm to just go along and suggest mediocre RPGs.

If Gamespy is become so lame that they have to include MMOGs in RPG catagory they certianly shouldnt be looked up to as a positive model for the future of RPGs or the game industry.

How hard is it to say "It was a mediocre year so, we will give you the best of the year, but also the 10 best RPGs of the last 10 years" or something substantial to give shoopers/fans of RPGs if that is their intent.

Otherwise what they are doing is misleading currently, if some find that to picky well thats just fine, I considering having more respect for the industry, fans and potiential fans.
Post Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:23 am

Gamespy is a very lame site. I don't trust them and i have the idea that they are manipulated (read "gimme money for a good or bad review") when they write their reviews. A shining example is the review of Gothic 2. I must say that from that moment i haven't visited their site anymore.
Post Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:24 am

txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
If Gamespy is become so lame that they have to include MMOGs in RPG catagory they certianly shouldnt be looked up to as a positive model for the future of RPGs or the game industry.

The thing that bugs me is not that GameSpy is going it, but that the industry/world looks at the genre in that way - the cRPG genre last year includes stuff from Boiling Point to MetalHeart to Dungeon Lords to Guild Wars to Everquest 2 to GeneForge ...

But online gaming is very different than single player roleplaying - I'm not judging one against the other, they are just different. Just as it is very different playing a MP FPS from a story driven SP experience.

quote:
How hard is it to say "It was a mediocre year so, we will give you the best of the year, but also the 10 best RPGs of the last 10 years" or something substantial to give shoopers/fans of RPGs if that is their intent.

That is definitely something I agree with "In the Top 10 RPG's, we only came up with 5 decent games, so here are 5 others from the last year or two that are excellent, will run on your computer, and that you can easily find online or in a store."

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:50 pm