Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Ensnaring Spiders. what the best defense?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Ensnaring Spiders. what the best defense?

The ensnaring spiders are killing me with their Paralyze spell. They can paralyze my entire crew. Is their a defensive spell I can use prior to their first attack? Nothing seems to work very well so far.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 12:04 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Soul shield doesnt work?
Post Sat May 04, 2002 12:12 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

I was looking for a defensive spell; soul shield is offensive. I get attacked when I'm sleeping, and my whole crew is paralyzed before it's my turn
Post Sat May 04, 2002 3:18 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Not sure, I think Missile Shield might affect that.
But the best defense when your party rests is Shadow Hound so it can wake you before the monsters attack.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 5:44 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Should shield is offensive spell? I think it is defensive.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 6:10 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Soul Shield doesn't work, even during combat. I have Shadow Hound, never have tried it yet though, I will try next. Thanks
Post Sat May 04, 2002 6:19 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Soul shield, element shield & missile shield didn't seem to have any effect for me. I just blasted the spiders with fireball and iceball for the most part. When my mage got too low on spell points, I had to return to portal to get out of the area. I found generally with the forbidden areas in Mt. Gigas (which I never did get all the way through), an incremental approach worked best - explore for a while, get out, rest up, go back in and continue.

One other suggestion, which did work for me, was freeze flesh to paralyze them first.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 7:40 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Web is an earth spell and Paralyze is a water spell, so soul shield would do nothing for you. Elemental shield should, in theory, improve your resistance to the effects. Shadow hound may be your best bet since you can't cast elem. shield until combat has started, which from what you describe might be too late...
Post Sun May 05, 2002 1:41 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

As "Dteowner" says "Web" is an elemental spell, so elemental shield, is one of the first spells to cast during combat. But before combat cast "Magic screen" to enhance protection against all spell realms and "Missile shield" to reduce penetration from ranged attacks and last but not least "Shadow hound" which ensures you not to be surprised by the opponents even if you are at sleep, meaning the opponent won't get the first moves during combat.
Besides these spiders throwing "web" often got very low hitpoints, so a good area-damaging spell, combined with that you let every none magic user hit a different foe could wipe out the spiders in 1-2 turns.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 7:00 am
kartman-47

The best defense against web are high levelled heroes.
a spider cannot web lvl 20 chars. (with magic screen but without elem. shield)

--
liebe das leben
Post Mon May 06, 2002 6:58 pm

Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

kartman-47: Surely the raise of your main attributes will make your characters more resistant to magic or damage in general, but I think it's a tough solution to wait for!
Post Tue May 07, 2002 7:23 am
kartman-47

rising main attribs is not important.
The only two things that prevent you from being webbed are high levels or magic screen+elem. shield

--
liebe das leben
Post Tue May 07, 2002 12:29 pm

Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Your characters basic resistant to magic is bound to a few attributes, which ofcourse will get better when you level up and put skillpoints in the right attributes. But as youself state it's more important with the power of "magic screen and "elemental shield" for how well you will get protected, but it don't directly have anything to do with you beeing level 20 or so. The power of the spells will only get better and better if you often use spells from the same realms as the 2 protection spells mentioned above. Already at level 13-15 I had a green dot for maximum power on these two spells, the second time I played the game, because I knew the importance of a lot of practising of spells, to get them powerfull faster!
Post Tue May 07, 2002 12:45 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I'm pretty sure that the only thing the character level affects in Wiz8 is the random monster level of the various areas (and some folks dispute that). Magic resistance is a function of character attributes and the skill any protection spells are cast at.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 12:03 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Dteowner: I agree except that the level of characters also affect, which spells you can learn!
Post Wed May 08, 2002 6:53 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next