Usergroups
Bad graphics
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
JungleBoss
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Why is it a trademark of many rpg games to have so aged graphics.. No different with this game.. Monsters that are built out of like three polygons. Blurred, oversized textures. Gfx is not all in a game, but surely it's quite important.
Post Thu Nov 22, 2001 12:38 pm

Money, time and computer power...

Wher one developes a CRPG one has got to put a hell of a lot of work making the world funktion in a realistic manner... Day and night cycles for the world and every NPC in it, Conversations have to be written and scripted, quests has to be designed... It would be very costly for a company to create a full working world full of seemingly real people and a great non-liniar storyline and character generation and development and everything else that has to be in there to make a CRPG great and at the same time put as much muscle into the graphics as the cutting-edge 3D shooters or similar games...

It is after all usually the gameplay-wise simple games that has the most cutting edge graphics...

And then the average gamers computer needs to be powerful enough to be able to calculate all of these variables, keep track of everything that is going on and display the great graphics without slowing down to a halt... Try the outdoor scenes in Max Payne for instance ant imagine putting in a large number of other characters and a much larger scale of the "level"... I know my machine could not handle anything like that and it is not like I have got bad equipment...

Bethesda is trying to do all of this with Morrowind and just see how many years that game has been in development... Even now with all of their efforts I believe the graphics may look aged when the game is finally released... I believe it will still look great, but not as great at what else will be out on the market by then...

Chirox
Post Thu Nov 22, 2001 1:50 pm

Dude, you're a fucking idiot. The graphics in Gothic are fucking amazing. You're just stupid, that's all.
Post Thu Nov 22, 2001 1:51 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You are one of the first to complain about the graphics. I personally think they are pretty good for an RPG.
Are you sure you ramped up resolution and color depth and pressed Enter to apply it? Sorry to ask such a stupid question, but some people here really forgot to apply the changes and wondered why the graphics looked like a POS on their 21" monitor.
If you have a least a GeForce2 GTS, 1 GHz and 256MB RAM give 1600*1200*32 a try.
A warmer color temperature could also be an improvement.
Post Thu Nov 22, 2001 1:54 pm

Oh, yea... I forgot to mention that I personally think the graphics in Gothic is absolutely great... And seeing how the games graphics was finished with the german version so many months ago it is even more amazing...

Chirox
Post Thu Nov 22, 2001 2:09 pm

Kveldulf
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The graphics also look great with a good old geforce 256, just remember to change resolution and effects in the options menu.

Post Thu Nov 22, 2001 3:29 pm
Bourrie
Village Leader
Village Leader

You can tell me about censorship of the US-version, I don't know about it, but about the graphics you can't tell me it's bad, because I KNOW the graphics are the best I've seen for sofar in an RPG!

Post Thu Nov 22, 2001 3:39 pm

Graphics in Gothics are really great, considering it's scale, however they are aged if it comes to the concrete object in the world (which is a very obvious thing for someone with FPS backgroung). I think that the 1 post by Anonymous, nails this issues exactly, and some of the previous 'answers' are just flames are completly missing the point (not to mention one of them was very rude).

- Merz
Post Thu Nov 22, 2001 4:29 pm

I was too harsh in judging previous posts (except for the second post). sorry, I take my words back.

- Merz

P.S. Is it possible to edit anonymous posts?
Post Thu Nov 22, 2001 4:37 pm

FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

Again, I didn't read many of the replies.

But Gothic has poor shading, and shadowing, that's all.

Shading is what makes crap graphics look amazing. That's what NVIDIA's HW T&L is for.

Gothic's graphics are overall modern in all perspective.
Post Fri Nov 23, 2001 12:48 am