View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Ultima

Author Thread
jellylad
Village Leader
Village Leader

Selling in Ultima 7

Hello all.

Well, after ages of not having anything decent to play, I went and bought Ultima 7 The Black Gate and have started playing it with Exult. Now its been ages since I last played an Ultima and I have a small question...

Can anyone tell me how to sell items? Like boots etc. Or can you only sell certain things to certain shopkeepers. The manual doesn't seem to help. Or maybe I missed it.

But I must say, I'm loving a bit of ultima goodness again. I'm looking forward to playing all of Ultima 7 all the way through including part 2 and the ad-ons. Oh, it's so much better than the stuff today! Or maybe I'm an old nostalgia fan.l

Jellylad
Post Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:50 pm
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Re: Selling in Ultima 7

In Ultima 7 Part 1, IIRC, you can sell only to certain persons, e.g. the cooking lady in the castle buys bread (or was it mutton?), and then there's an apothecary who buys serpent venom. It's a little bit like quests.
You do have more options in Serpent Isle, though, you're able to haggle and so on.
Post Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:25 pm
jellylad
Village Leader
Village Leader

Ah, thank you very much.

I'll stop lugging all this tat around with me now. i thougt that was the case, but i couldn't remember it had been so long, and i'm sed to modern games with proper stores now. Helps them balance the game better I suppose.

Still thanks a lot. I'm really looking forward to my next 200 or so hours going though the balck gate, serpent isle and Pagan.

Is part 9 as annoying as they say, or is it worth me trying it out with the paches?
Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:43 pm
PlaidDragon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

If you're ever trying to get a large amount of money, your best bet isn't selling items. You can actually rob Britannia's bank without any consequenses. Use this guide if you need an explanation.
http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/ultima_vii_a.txt

As for Ultima 9, I'd steer clear of it, unless you get REALLY bored. There's so many plot errors that it's not even funny. It's almost as if they ignored everything that happened in Ultima 7 and 8, save the existance of the Guardian. The story and writing are bad and the voice acting is some of the worst I've ever heard. The gameplay is also terrible. The combat boring and the game is loading with annoying puzzles and platforming elements. I didn't really think it was a good game by any standards.
Post Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:20 pm
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

There are balancing and dialogue&plot mods for Ultima IX, made by fans. Without voice acting, of course, but you won't miss it. If you want to play Ascension, download these.

I played the "original" Ascension with some enthusiasm, but all in all it's a really disturbingly bad Ultima. And the engine is optimized for Voodoo-cards, which means it isn't really fast even on modern computers.
Post Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:46 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Parcival's How to Enjoy Ultima Ascension FAQ is good if you want to try out U9.
Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:04 am