My new home (Long)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

My new home (Long)

Ok well, I needed an RPG fix and I saw this game for $20 last fri so I decided to get it. Right off the bat, this game has one wicked survival rate. The run from town to town is a lot of fun right now (cause I have to run for dear life, they send WAY too much stuff at you in the early levels). In fact, survival (outside of raoming guard patrols) is such a challenge that I havent been able to follow the plot too closely. Apparently there are 3 main items I'll have to get.
I talked to the monk, the barkeep and the armoer in Arnika, but they dont offer much info. Maybe Im not asking the right questions? I really dont want to scroll down my entire hotword list on each npc I meet.
After I cleared out Arnika I went to Trynton, this is where I really got lost.

Is it me or are there not many NPCs per town to talk to? Im used to talking to one person, he sends me to down the road to another guy and so on, so forth... There barely seems to be 2-3 important NPCs per town so far.

So my first run through I used the stock character. Lots of fun to watch their individual reactions after each situation. Then I re-rolled with some tweaked characters of my own... Is there set of characters I should always have in my party?
Ex: How handy are mook gadgeteers? Should I keep the one pre-made, make my own or not even worth it? Even after a few modifications, his modern weap didnt seem that good to keep him around...
I made a nice team that consists of:
DracosSamurai/ (Dual Weap)
Faery Monk/ (High CS/CC)
HobbitThief/ (High LP)
HumaPriest/ (High Heal skills)
MookArcher/ (High Scout skills)
ElvenMage/ (High Fire/Divine/Earth)

Should I pull somone out and put in a mook gadgeteer (I see there is a need for one in Arnika...)

Im about to restart for the 3rd time because I dont want to make any mistakes past Trynton, any suggestions?
Post Mon May 19, 2003 4:03 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

3 restarts? Bah, I chalked up over 50. The point is that restarting isn't anything to be worried about.

Your party looks fine as is. If this is your first tour of Dominus and your disks are labeled V 1,2,4, you might consider one change to your crew. Drop the rogue and plug in either a gadgeteer or bard. All three of those have the "locks and traps" skill, and V 1.2.4 made some changes that make pickpocketing nearly impossible (which means the rogue doesn't offer much that you can't get with the other two). As for as picking between the bard and the gadgie, it's up to you. A bard is a useful class thru the entire game, but never really becomes dominant. A gadgie is nearly worthless until the end-game, when he becomes a killing machine.

If you play the beginning "as the designers expected you to" (as in, not using the excellent hints otter will probably give you later), the trip from the monestary to Arnika and the trip from Arnika to Trynton are probably the toughest areas you'll encounter as far as monster strength versus party strength. So don't automatically think you screwed up if merely surviving those jaunts is a challenge. Always try to back yourself into a corner before combat starts- this will keep the rear of your formation safe and possibly only allow 1 or 2 critters to attack you each round while the rest wait patiently for their turn to die.

You didn't mention at least 4 people you can talk to in Arnika. You must have skipped over Myles, who yelled at you as soon as you got into town. I'd highly recommend speaking to him some more.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon May 19, 2003 8:12 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Sorry when I said NPC I was really talking about people who wouldnt be travelling with me but still helped push the game along with info (ie -The Barkeeper, the armorer and the Monk Braniff) I met and recruited Vi and Myles already
Post Tue May 20, 2003 1:50 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Which means you're still missing Anna, the cop, and Lorrac. Later on, the mook will talk to you as well, but not at this point in the game.

Did you get all 3 quests from Myles? Well, you probably did the first one at least, but how about the other two?
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue May 20, 2003 11:03 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

I you recruit Myles, you don't get quests from him. You only get quests when he's outside of the party. If you recruit him and then drop him, he will give you the quests.
Post Wed May 21, 2003 2:37 am
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Hmm the only quest I ever got from Myles was to save Vi. In one of my earlier games he was ready to leave when I wanted to head towards Martens Bluff...so Im guessing that after Trynton (which I'll be finishing tonight) I'll have to head to this Mt Gigas place and level up/explore a bit more before I give him his walking papers. He's not the best, but it beats having a 7 man party...
Post Wed May 21, 2003 5:14 pm