View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
jellylad
Village Leader
Village Leader

TOEE Level 1 question.

Hello all.

Well I've finally got it and have been playing it at the weekend. And (naturally) I have a question. Wandering about on Level 1 of The Temple I meet Eath Followers and none of them attack me, even though I'm not wearing the earth robes. Why is this? I can even loot all the goodies from their temple and no-one does anything. I AM carrying the robes. Is this enough for them to think I am a friend?

Also, what followers does everyone take? I've got Elmo tagging along. And was wondering who else is worth it. Otis is good, but looks a bit too powerful (level 10!!)
Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:11 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Can't answer for sure but I think if you went to the side entrance and told the guard that Rentsch (or one of the choices) sent you, they presume you're an ally for now.

I'm only using Spugnoir because the only payment he wants are scrolls and he doesn't encumber himself. I didn't want too a team, anyway.
Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:24 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Throughout the entire temple complex the enemies have a pretty high tolerance to your PCs walking around. I came in through somewhere that dumped me into level 3 immediately and while most things attacked me instantly, some things did not.

The robes in the inventory might be enough... I left level 3 after clearing it and realizing I'd skipped level 1 and 2 and I notice the same thing about the temples.

Frankly, I'm happy to see it. It lets you pick your fights, stopping the entire thing from becoming endless waves of hacking (unless you want it to... heh. I say hello with a fireball, usually).

As for NPCs? Bah. Bugged little bastards who steal all your stuff. That wizard is ok, as nobody really wants scrolls anyways... that's about it. Elmo is freaking ridiculous to bring along, as he takes HALF your money! That's half your budget for creating magical items! If I had him along I couldn't have a +4 con item on everyone like I do now (an extra 20 hit points per character never hurts by level 10). I couldn't have afforded to make my wand of fireballs (hear, bard... be a second wizard for a second!) or my wand of hold person (Oh look... a level 10 fighter. Wand of hold person. Coup de grace. Let's see what he had in his pockets.).

Otis nabs everything too, and nicely overburdens himself. Hold person. Coup de grace. The two champions of Homlet do as well... the mage is smart enough to leave the party if you give him the boot, but the fighter won't leave your party do to a bug. (Easy to fix... unequip his armor and have the rogue with improved two weapon fighter sneak attack him 4 times.)

The thieves grab everything not nailed down. Power attack, two handed weapon. As does the monk and his pal. Sleep spell, coupe de grace.

A party of five is enough.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:58 am
jellylad
Village Leader
Village Leader

Thanks for that EverythingXen.

I'll dump Elmo tonite and go it alone. He was beginning to bug me with his money grabbing and "bob and weave" stance.

I am wondering now about the leveling up though. I'm only on level 2 of the Temple and my chars are level 6. That only leaves another 4 levels to go. Are you expected to reach level 10 quite early or does the progression slow down a bit?

Still enjoying it though. I think the animation on the characters and bad guys is top notch. I especially like the Orges swinging their clubs. But then, I'm a simple man.
Post Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:28 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

If you run everywhere and do everything you'll hit the Wall early, yes. It took me to Temple Level 4 to hit level 10, and I killed absolutely everything. How much is left in the game, I do not know.

Arcanum sort of ran into the same problem, though *I* never hit level 50 and I played it through 3 times. Once you're done leveling... what's the point?

In TOEE the point is ... you NEED to max out those levels to survive the last bit of the game. I can't imagine winning the battle I won last night with less than a level 8 party.

So if you're the type of player who gets bored if you max out early... choose your battles wisely and slow down the leveling pace. Me, I grew up on the Gold Box D&D games.... I'd MAX my party in Pool of Radiance before even thinking of leaving Phlan or going to the graveyard.

In Curse of the Azure bonds I'd max before I completed Draconis' tower (which most people do first, including me).

Playing D&D CRPGs while maxed out is nothing new. I did it in Baldur's Gate and was max xp by the time I went to Spellhold in BG2, every time. That's halfway through the game, tops.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:54 am
jellylad
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yeah, now you mention it, I always used to max out early in the gold box games too. It never used to bother me in the old days. I dunno why it did in ToEE, to tell you the truth.
I am a completist killing and exploring everywhere so I guess I'll max out early.
Ah, your post has taken me back to the old days though. I grew up on the old gold box games too. I'll never forget spending ages with my fledgling party in Curse of the Azure Bonds trying to kill that Neo-Ogtugh (sp?) at the start of the game for the "shiny thing" it had.
Post Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:06 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Good old days indeed. I remember playing Curse on a 8088 with maybe a meg of RAM tops. Took 5 minutes to load each random encounter (I always had a novel with me) and I never complained once. Now I sigh in frustration in TOEE if the screen freezes for more than two seconds (I've been getting that a lot in the lower temple levels... it will freeze for 30 seconds to 10 minutes and then I get to play for 30 seconds and it freezes for 10 minutes again...). Reboot sometimes helps a little. Ah well.

People are focussed now on the getting there aspect of a CRPG... not the being there. I remember running around dinosaur island in Final Fantasy III until all the characters were level 77 or so. Anything after level 35 or 40 is excessive. Killed the end-boss in one pass of attacks with one character.

Still loved every minute, every fight.

Post Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:39 pm