Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
'Arx' has major design problems! At endgame, never saw Arx!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
djethan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

'Arx' has major design problems! At endgame, never saw Arx!

I'm not trying to piss anyone off, I've actually been having great fun playing "arx" for the last two days. But I've run into a BIG problem requiring me to basically restart the game!

I couldn't figure out how to get into the goblin city, or continue in the early part of the game, so I killed the troll guarding the downward path and went down to the next level (the officer at the outpost told you to go down under the goblins and back up, right?). Anyway, I managed to get through all the trolls, goblins, rat-men, cave-worms, snake-women and all the way down to level 8, with only my short-sword and bow and 1 spell. I got all the way to the Dwarven City, but couldn't figure out how to get around the hell-beast.

Disgruntled, I looked online at a walkthrough to pass that point, and realized that I was at the SECOND LAST AREA OF THE GAME, having never even been to the human city, seen the king, or anything.

I'm afraid if I just go back up I'll have screwed up so many parts of the game that I'll never get through the proper way. Now I have to go and START OVER after all that play-time . It was never even particularly obvious I was going the wrong way! Also, If I could get that far with a bow, short-sword, no magic, and a level 3 character, is the rest of the game going to be challenging at all?

I like the game, and I WILL start over, but it is ridiculous it's even possible to do what I did. What a waste of time!

-ethan
Post Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:42 pm
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

If I were you I'd keep your last savegame, finish the game the cosher way and then try to finish it from where you originally left it and see if it works, as if it doesn't the game does indeed have a flaw, however technically the game should be in a dandee state, as long as you kept the Krahoz or Zohark key from the snakewomen.
Post Tue Dec 24, 2002 7:15 am
Detori
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Technically speaking you can go ANYWHERE in the world of Arx but key NPCs will trigger quests so there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with you going down to the dwarven mines. I myself did almost the same as you and still managed to finish the game properly.
So you are not really restricted as to where you can go, but even if you kill everyone you can finish the game PROPERLY!
Post Tue Dec 24, 2002 3:04 pm
djethan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well!

I have started over, and am having more fun I must say (those teleporters are much more useful when they're turned on!).But, I will go back and try to get through the other way when I'm done here.

I suppose that the fact I didn't run into any out-of-place quest info or conversation is a testament to open-ended design, as opposed to the other way around. Open-endedness is one of my favorite things in RPGs, and I would have been happy to go back from where I was, but I KNOW I screwed up a lot by killing everyone.

That is the one major flaw I see. When I wasn't in the right place, EVERYONE attacked me, even important quest characters. So I killed them all. Going back might be possible at that point, but it would have been damned confusing trying to figure out what to do when the people meant to guide you are dead.

The other disturbing thing is that I got that far with only the equipment I got in the goblin prison (leather pants and a short-sword, no repairs available), and a bow I found later. I'm still not that far playing the right way, but it seems like things are going to be way too easy later on. The rat-men and snake women were challenging when I was only wearing a pair of leather pants, but only enough to make it fun.
Post Tue Dec 24, 2002 6:19 pm
albatross
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I don't know what your trying to prove by saying you can kill everything with a short sword,a bow and a spell or two. Thats rediculous.I don't believe for a second that you are killing rat men and snake women with what you have and only at lvl.3. Your obviously on some sort of heavy medication or your just full of shit. I just finished the game and liches and others are impossible with the gear you have.
Post Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:59 am
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

The ratmen aren't that hard and by the time he's reached there he's defenetivly reached a higher level then 3 specially if he killed all the trolls and snakewomen. It most probably took him a lot of reloading though as I doubt taking 2 at a time would have been a very good idea.
Post Fri Dec 27, 2002 9:51 pm