Overall impression after a week or so of playing
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Overall impression after a week or so of playing

I finally picked up the game. My rig is barely above the minimum system requirement, so I'm not able to revel in the game's beauty as much as the rest of you. Graphics never was critical to me anyway, so it's no loss. I'll just have to enjoy it for how it plays.

I think that my biggest complaint with the game is also its strongest point- it's huge. I play RPGs from the "complete-ist" approach- I try to explore every inch of territory and do every possible quest. I'm a getting a little frustrated with Morrowind cuz there's just no possible way to play it as a "complete-ist". There's so much to see and so much to do that I doubt you could scratch the surface in weeks of gaming.

Oh, as everyone seems to agree, the journal blows. For a game with this much to do, you've got to have a way to keep track of it all. The M&M series did a pretty good job with it. The other game I remember with a well-done journal was Arcanum.

My last gripe is that the manual is pretty weak. The strategy guide isn't much better. I've restarted the game twice now (I always restart RPGs a few times) and I still don't have a good feel for character development. I've figured out the way points are doled out at levelup (with help from this board), but I really don't see the big picture on development of stats and skills. I've spent the last several months with Wiz8, so I understand skill-based advancement, but without better info in the manual, I feel a little lost. I'm not looking to powergame my character to straight 100's by level 5 or anything, but I can't seem to generate that "mental map" of how to grow my character from a putz to a god.

All that whining aside, this is a REALLY good game. I think I'll be playing for a long time to come. Sorry for the length of the post... Advice, instruction and boots to the head are appreciated.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:37 pm
Aeolus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Your system is just above the min requirements? By how much and whats the performance?
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 10:18 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

dteowner:

Skills:
Don't worry so much about the skills, you can improve every skill (major,minor,misc) by using and by training with trainers.
Some kind of Redguard Battlemage/Spellsword with speechcraft and security skills is easy to play. You can't compare the difficulty of Wizardry 8 with Morrowind - Morrowind is much easier to play.
Some people even suggest to take your favorite skills as misc. skills to slowdown advancement and keep up the challenge for higher levels.

Keep in mind: For flying and water breathing you need the skill alteration.
for Mark and Recall the skill mysticism.

Journal:
Make your own notes, don't accept more than 5 quests at the same time.
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:04 pm
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

i just don't play a real warrior, just a thief with only a few fighting skills as major (marksman and short blade)
The game is a little bit overwelming.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:17 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Aeolus
Your system is just above the min requirements? By how much and whats the performance?

I don't know framerates (don't know how to turn that on), but I can give you a qualitative answer. First-

Athlon 650, 256Meg PC100 RAM, 32M GeForce2 MX, Soundblaster Live Value, Win98SE

As for performance, I have made no changes to the default settings the game chooses, which means I'm running 1024x768 (which matches my desktop). The AI is set around 1/3 and the view distance is around 1/2. When I go from region to region, the game freezes for around 3 seconds while the new area loads. Within a region, I don't usually notice any skipping, although once in a while in town it gets a little choppy. I'm far from a graphics nut, though, so opinions will vary.

Hope this helps...
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 1:28 am
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

If you want to play a character with NO challenge in the game whatsoever after level 10 or so, then choose a custom class nord in the sign of the warrior, majors long blade, medium/heavy armour, marksman, block and minor alteration, restoration, enchant, athletics, armourer. I did that and by now I could go naked through the game and still kill everything with one hand behind my back. It's no fun though.

I would suggest that you put stuff like speechcraft, mercantile, security as your major/minors. If you put the ones you actually USE in major/minor, you're gonna get 1-2 levels in your first fight alone. But it all depends on how you want to play the game..
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:11 pm
Rangstrom
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

If you can resist trying to "lawnmower" the map, Morrowind's size lets you be a completist more than most games. You can be any character you want without starting over. I created a mage but used him like a fighter. Now I trying to become a smoothtalker-type with the same pc. Later I might go in for conjuring. All without starting over.

No more wondering if the experience is vastly different based on a new class choice.For example, I'm trying out NWN (so far not too excited) and I'm torn between a monk and a paladin. I'd like to experience both without playng the game twice(I've learned my lesson--I still have saved games for 11 different pcs for Baldurs Gate, all stranded somewhere in chapter 4) in Morrowind I could.
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:06 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Rangstrom
(I've learned my lesson--I still have saved games for 11 different pcs for Baldurs Gate, all stranded somewhere in chapter 4)

So I'm not the only one. I never could manage to finish BG. While the game itself was decent, the character development was terribly slow. By chapter 4 or 5, I always thought my character was getting stagnant. Now I pretty much avoid any of the AD&D games. I loved AD&D as a pen-n-paper experience, but the rules can get boring on a computer.

Which comes around to my original "complaint". I don't remember my first Morrowind guy anymore (I usually play 5 hours or so just to get a feel for a game and then start over, so that first guy is a throw-away). From there, I build a Redguard fighter type (good call HiddenX) and played quite a while, but his development just seemed so, umm, unfocused, that I got the feeling I had screwed up. I picked up a mana regen mod which made casters much easier, so my current character is a dark elf caster emphasizing destruction. She's about ready to leave Seyda Neen, so we'll see. Trying to develop these characters still has me feeling like I'm drinking the ocean with a straw...
Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:27 pm