Members
Usergroups
UltimaDot Feature: Ultima X: Odyssey fact sheet
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Garrett

UltimaDot Feature: Ultima X: Odyssey fact sheet

While an Ultima X has not been announced yet, a few newsbits have leaked in the past weeks. UltimaDot has gathered all of them and compiled a nice <a href="http://ultima.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=670">fact sheet about Ultima X: Odyssey</a>:<blockquote><em>On the UXO screenshot, the mage character has rune letters on his robe: Does it read Amun (4 characters), or are there 5 (Camun)? There is just one (weak) link to 'Amun' in combination with UO. The War in Umbra; "Ryujin Al'Danzai has found the missing Tablets of Amun'Khur!" Wise words on this kind of speculation were spoken by our editor Dhruin: 'It's just as likely to be some runes the art department thought looked nice in my opinion.'</em></blockquote>
Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:44 pm
Lord_Darkmoon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Who needs another MMORPG?

If this is another MMORPG then who needs this game?
There are so many MMORPGs out there and even more are in developement.
I tried quite a few myself and I have to say that they are nearly all the same.
It's like with 3D-Shooters, basically they are all the same. They are rather easy to make and there is some kind of a demand for them.
But companies do not care for quality that much anymore with shooters. The same goes for MMORPGs, create good grahics and charge a monthly fee for playing and you have your cashflow.
There is next to no innovation.
IMHO MMORPGs are in a form of stagnation, graphics are improving but otherwise everything else is the same.
So why should I play Star Wars Galaxies when I can play the same game with DAOC? Just because it is Star Wars?

Bioware and Piranha Bytes show how successful and innovative single-player games can be. Bioware even created a totally new multiplayer experience with Neverwinter Nights.
But is Electronic Arts trying to do the same? I doubt it. They see that all they need to do is take genre that seems to be very popular nowadays, add a popular name to it, create a mediocre game and wait for the money from the customers.
It's really sad, creating computer games is no longer an art, it is business only. Until about 10 years or so ago gaming companies wanted to creat new, exciting and innovative gaming experiences - nowadays the big companies want to make as much profit as possible with the least effort, quality is no longer necessary...
Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:06 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Yes, if this is yet another online game, then who needs it? The ultima series was never about that. Sounds like a cash in.
Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:39 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

bleh

Ultima X being a MMORPG = BLEH

When I first heard about UX I got a little excited and was hoping EA could vindicate itself of having murdered the Ultima and Lands of Lore series.

But if UX is really going to be a MMORPG then a big fat BLAH to EA.
Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:43 pm
Garrett

Dunno...even it is should be a single player title, which I strongly doubt (EA = MONEY), I doubt it will be the same without Richard Garriott.
One can only hope, one day he will return to the single player genre, no matter the name.
Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:55 pm