this game is a joke.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
eNTi
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

this game is a joke.

this game does it all! i can't believe anyone would write something so stunningly wrong. the game does NOT look good at all. the shadows are much too hard and not every object casts shadows. your ship will cast shadows on walls without being properly lit by lightsource from the other side and the models are poorly meshed. THE ANIMATIONS are the worst i've ever seen. you need to see this. my reactions ranged from tears of laughter to astounding wonder. even my little 9 year old sister can do it better. the universe itselve looks gorgeus, but don't get to close to a station, you will lag yourself to death. no... this game is no good runner up at all! X, where have you gone? far beyond the frontier!!!
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:04 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Eh, what are you talking about?
I heard so many good things about this game. Now I wander if all of these people were just blind fans.
No, I doubt it. You are probably just flaming or just installed other game.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:11 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Nope, he's right on all the things he pointed out.

Shadows do look terrible and aren't consistant. I turned them off... looks much nicer.

The universe is gorgeous. Very nice scenery.

The models are rather bulky and sub-par, especially when compared to a game like EVE where every model is unique instead of recycled.

The animations are truly horrible. Deus Ex's were better by a lot, and that game is much older. Naturally Egosoft didn't put much effort into the character models, as they're very rarely used.... but they still played an important part in the immersion. I could NOT get into the gravity of the situation watching Julian walk around like he hadn't made it to the washroom in time and Elena Kho's empty souless stare was scaring me.

There is a lot of lag, no matter what your system and no matter what your specs. Patch 1.3 did a lot to fix this which is good... and bad. If a patch can help fix the lag it means the engine wasn't particularly well coded in the first place.

And despite all this I love it. Games like this do well because there tends to be only one of them a year (at most). There's no competition so what would get blasted apart in other genres (the lag, the shadows, the broken economic model) is accepted. It's a FUN GAME and that's really important.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:04 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I agree. I like this game ...but it could have been so much better. I think the graphics are nice, but they don't portray an adequate feeling of "space" . This isn't helped by the sandbox layout of of the universe. It feels like I'm travelling from one room to the next when sector jumping.

Combat isn't particularly engaging either.

But, there are many plus points. Trading is well done ( even if there are inherent flaws ), and there is freedom to do what you want. You can own a fleet and stations. There is a game-editing tool for modding.

It is the best game in its genre at the moment. But, I agree that there is very little competition. I wish I could combine this game with EVE-Online ..... that would be fantastic in my opinion.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:45 pm
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I War 2

Independence War 2 sector model was so much better than this as was the space combat for the most part. It would be cool to have those games combined. More random interaction with different characters would be cool to.
Post Sat May 01, 2004 1:20 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I avoided IW2 after a friend of mine complained that you needed a few university degrees to play it. Heh. It's not often I'm influenced like that. If I can find it I might give it a whirl... though I heard large ships are almost impossible to control and I like large ships...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Sat May 01, 2004 3:52 pm
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

You should play I-War 2

But.. there's a hitch. It's darn hard to complete some missions and it's not a free form universe. You only get certain guns, ships and shields as you complete missions. Over the story is really cool. The missions are fun but a little hard. There is a lack of interaction with stations for the most part but the rest of the game is decent. If it is taking to much time there are some docs on hex editing to give you better equipment so you can make it through the missions. It's a dirt cheap game now to. I highly reccomend it.
Post Sun May 02, 2004 1:17 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

So, was I right, or dead wrong???????

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun May 02, 2004 1:14 pm
Vival
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I-War 2

The awesome semi-newtonian flight model of I-War2 is my favorite of all space sims. It takes a little time to get used to it but there's not really a steep learning curve involved. However the sometimes almost sadistic mission design(you can only save at your base) can be frustrating to the extreme. Apart from that and the lack of massive capital ships it's a great game.
Post Sun May 02, 2004 3:48 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I think your 80%, with the highest mark going to fun, is dead on, Corwin.

Post Mon May 03, 2004 1:01 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Agreed. High fun factor ... I *love* being an interstellar mogul.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 1:50 pm