RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Sasquatchenator

My experience on a low end computer...

Hey everybody, I just thought that i would post my experience on my computer

800mhz pentium 3
128mbRAM
nvidiaTNT2 (came with computer)

At first i couldnt run this game at all. I was able, after a long wait, to walk around inside the boat...loading Seyda Neen, however, was a different story. My computer would just freeze up, and i was out of luck, and a bit disappointed.

The good thing was, i had access to these forums. So i went and installed the new morrowind.exe, changed the max fps in morrowind.ini, updated my drivers from the nvidia website, turned up the brightness (or resolution, or whatever it is)turned off the music, aa, view distance as low as it could go, no footsteps, no shadows. I also changed my desktop screen res to 640x480, and then ran the game on that as well. Basically i'm running the game on about as low of settings as possible. So how is it?

The game is great! It seems like i am constantly in fog because i cant turn up the view distance, but hey, i sure dont mind! About the only annoying things are that it really slows down when i get near water, and loading areas is a bit slow, and loading and saving the game is extremely slow. Also, after listening to the music for a while, i have to say that it is the best music i have ever heard in a game, and i am upset i cant hear it...so instead i play the LOTR soundtrack on my cd player for background music (not the same, but better than nothin, right?)

I'm almost done with the smuggler's cave (just gotta kill the annoying magician), and i have to say that even with my slow computer on all these low settings, combat and movement in the smuggler's cave was amazingly fluid, and except for a bit of a slowdown when i had someone attacking me AND another casting a spell at me, it went great.

So even on a crap system like mine morrowind is playable. So what am i gonna do now? The obvious, of course...I'm buying more RAM as soon as possible! Hope this helps those of you with older/slower computers who are thinking about buying morrowind!
Post Sun May 12, 2002 12:03 am

Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

Dude!! That sounds like a Dell!!

Thats sounds exactly like my computer, I chucked out the tnt and installed the last (and best) GeForce 3 before the Ti series came out, and 512 mb ram.
Post Sun May 12, 2002 12:31 am
OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

Ditto!

Suggestion, just upgrade the RAM right now....double it and everything will move a bit faster and ram is DIRT cheap right now.

I have a low end system, just barely above the requirements and I'm SO diggin' this game!

=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
=Neverwinter Nights Co-Moderator=
Post Sun May 12, 2002 1:09 am
Zaal
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Definitely grab an new vid card and some RAM. You won't regret it!

I just upgraded from a Geforce DDR to a Geforce 2 64 DDR and have noticed great changes in the speed of the game. Really helps you enjoy it a bit more.

Zaal
Post Sun May 12, 2002 2:07 am

Sasquatchenator? or anyone else?

where can i get the info on the new exe file, and the other tweaks that help performance?

ty
Post Sun May 12, 2002 3:06 am

Guest:
Heres some suggestions that i've seen so far, and that i've used:

In the morrowind.ini file:

Where it says maxfps:240 change it to maxfps: 60 (60 fps is a LOT, and if you are having problems, you sure wont be getting 240 fps, or whatever it is on.

Also, in the morrowind.ini. file, people have been saying that if you change,
DontThreadLoad=0

to

DontThreadLoad=1
that seems to help as well, although i havent tried it yet.

Also, the morrowind.exe file can be downloaded at http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/lig/j/_/j_daniel/Morrowind/Morrowind.exe
I think thats where i got it.

Other than that, just read what i did above, and wish for the best!

Baalcipher: you got it, its a dell!
Post Sun May 12, 2002 9:04 am

Kuplo

Well, I have an ever lower end system than most, it's a PIII 600MHz with 318MB sdram, and a Hercules Phrophet 4500 Kyro2 card, and the game is just plain annoying.

The whole thing about MW is the graphics, it's supposed to be beautiful, but with a medium end system the graphics are garbage, the fog hides most of it unnecessarily, for example the fog lifts when you click down on your keyboards F key to arm your weapon, if you keep your weapon armed the fog is gone and it runs the same, so is fog really necessary?

I can't stand the long load times when I want to walk indoors or outdoors, I have the way the guards faces look like they were just overlayed onto the character model.

I hate having to go out and fight crabs, come on, Im big enough to just step on them and squash them.

The game just looks and plays awful with my rig, but Im sure if I had a P4 3.4GHz with 1GB of ddrram and a 128MB video card, the game would probably be beautiful.

The only pretty aspect that I find in MW is the skys, the clouds are nice to look at, but I wonder how much resources have been invested in them at the sake of FPS. I could have easily done without the sky and clouds to enhance walking and fps. It does rather amaze me at the lack of configuration "ingame", the video section is really lacking, they should have had options to dumb down the sky, water, trees, etc. Instead of just fogging over everything to dumb it down for lowly computer systems like mine which by the way play the other 95 games that I own superbly.

So far I have found that IMHO Dungeon Sieges graphics are far superior looking than MW's. Thats not to knock MW's graphics, the houses are nice to look at with their high polygon count, but thats about it.

Peace and Love,
Post Sun May 12, 2002 4:51 pm

Fashtas
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I am playing on a the following low end:

P3 550mhz
512 meg ram
GeForce 2

It plays fine, graphics are still good, it isn't that foggy. I'd say it is in an order of magnitude better than Dungeon Sieges graphcs, really. Not sure what people are complaining about

FPS is 5-15 outdoors and 10-40 indoors BTW (More often 20 than 40, but I saw a 40 once faceing a blank wall)
Post Mon May 13, 2002 2:17 am

Talk about low end computer. Compare with mine.

Celeron 400, 192RAM, TNT2M64. I am playing with music on, 640x480. Loading time is not so bad for me. And it's playable, I have cleared out the smuggler caves. Combat is alright. I didn't check out my fps becasue I don't care as long as it's playable for me.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 2:47 am

Sasquatchenator

How do i make it so i can see how many FPS i'm getting?
Post Mon May 13, 2002 9:20 pm

Super_Ant
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

in the morrowind.ini file change "show fps=0" to "show fps=1".

-Monty Python Live at Aspen

I am The Topic Killer!
Post Mon May 13, 2002 9:30 pm

I also am running MW on a low end system:
amd 500mhz
256 ram
Geforce 2 32meg

And it isn't all that bad. Certainly better than a busy zone in Everquest. I am running it at 1024x768, low viewing distance, no shadows. I may try to scale back the sound to see if the graphics can be a little faster. <shrug> All in all, I am rather impressed with it, especially since I am running it on one of the lowest end systems that it supports.

Hermes
Post Tue May 14, 2002 12:10 am

I'm not sure about this (haven't bought the game yet because I'm getting it for free in a week or so) but I believe the Sound Track is in mp3 format and relatively easy to find within either the installed folder, or the CD(s)...
Post Tue May 14, 2002 7:38 pm

Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Oh! Your biggest problem is your RAM! 128MB is not enough for anything at the moment. I have 512MB and it seems to be quite the minimun for modern games (sadly ). Upgrade the memory amount and you should be fine! Even with TNT2.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 8:40 pm
Malkiel
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Just upgraded my vid, holding off on cpu

Well, I finally removed my once great Voodoo3 <tear>, and installed a GF4 TI4400.

Now I have
P3-550
128MbPC100
GF4 TI4400

And the game runs well enough to play. I used the No_CD .exe, reset the No_Thread switch, and I get 20-60 fps indoors, 5-20 outdoors.

I run at 800x600, with view distance set to medium. I tried with Pixel Shaders on, and while gorgeous, they slowed things down. Also, "Turn off Real-Time Shadows". With shadows on, my 5-20 outdoors went to 1-10.

Next step...cpu, mb, ram, power-supply (i guess its about time)
Post Tue May 14, 2002 8:53 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next