Steven Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Steven Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen

I'm really enjoying Steven Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. How about you?

So far, I've read Gardens of the Moon and Deadhouse Gates. I wish they would publish the US versions faster!

http://www.tor.com/erikson/

http://www.malazanempire.com/index.shtml

Gardens of the Moon - Synopsis

The Malazan Empire simmers with discontent, bled dry by interminable warfare, bitter infighting and bloody confrontations with the formidable Anomander Rake, lord of Moon's Spawn, and his Tiste Andii. Even the imperial legions, long inured to the bloodshed, yearn for some respite. Yet Empress Laseen's rule remains absolute, enforced by her dread Claw assassins.

For Sergeant Whiskeyjack and his squad of Bridgeburners, and for Tattersail, surviving sorceress of the Second Legion, the aftermath of the siege of Pale should have been a time to mourn the many dead. But Darujhistan, last of the Free Cities of Genabackis, yet holds out and it is to this ancient citadel that Laseen turns her predatory gaze.

However, it would appear that the Empire is not alone in this great game. Sinister, shadowbound forces are gathering as the gods themselves prepare to play their hand...

Conceived and written on a panoramic scale, Gardens of the Moon is epic fantasy of the highest order - an enthralling adventure by an outstanding new voice.

Deadhouse Gates - Synopsis

Weakened by events in Darujhistan, the Malazan Empire now teeters on the brink of anarchy. In the vast dominions of Seven Cities, in the Holy Desert Raraku, the seer Sha’ik gathers a vast army around her in preparation for the long-prophesied uprising named the Whirlwind. Unprecedented in its size and savagery, it will draw the entire subcontinent into one of the bloodiest conflicts the Empire has ever known. A maelstrom of fanaticism and bloodlust, it will shape destinies and give birth to legends...

In the Otataral mines, Felisin, youngest daughter of the disgraced House of Paran, dreams of revenge against the sister who sentenced her to this life of slavery. Escape leads her to the mainland, and Raraku, where her soul will be reborn and her future made clear. The now-outlawed Bridgeburners, Fiddler and the assassin Kalam, are determined to fulfil their vow to return the once god-possessed Apsalar to her homeland and to confront and kill the Empress Laseen, but tumultuous events will overtake them too. Meanwhile Coltaine, the charismatic but untried new commander of the Malaz 7th Army, will lead his battered, war-weary troops in a last valiant running battle to save the lives of thirty thousand refugees and, in so doing, secure an illustrious place in the Empire’s chequered history. And into this blighted land where prophecy, sorcery and armies will collide and ascendant powers converge come two ancient wanderers, Mappo the Trell and his half-Jaghut companion, Icarium, bearers of a devastating secret that is about to break free of its chains.

Set in a brilliantly realized world ravaged by anarchy and dark, uncontrollable magic, Deadhouse Gates is the thrilling, brutal second chapter in the monumental Malazan Book of the Fallen. A powerful, harrowing novel of war, intrigue and betrayal, it confirms Steven Erikson as a storyteller of breathtaking skill, imagination and originality, a new master of epic fantasy.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:48 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Here is a great interview with Steven Erickson. Sounds like there will be a Malazan encyclopedia.

http://www.tor.com/erikson/meet.html

quote:
9. Given the vast tracks of history and geography not to mention many different cultures and races represented in The Malazan Book of the Fallen, do you already have extensive notes ala The Silmarillion as well as the appendices and indexes found in the Lord of the Rings? Is there enough material for a sourcebook, or will it be closer to a small set of encyclopedias by the time The Malazan Book of the Fallen is complete?

Answer: tonnes of material, notes, notebooks, maps, charts, lists, etc. So much stuff I can't keep track of it all. There will be an encyclopedia, although I can't say when.

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:55 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

As I have said several times, MBotF is high on my list of books to read. Sadly the most prominent reason for not having read it yet is the fact that the translation of the book, according to several people who I respect and have read the book, is straight out so worse that it is making the book unreadable. And that sucks.

So I'll be looking for an English version of it pretty soon, and they are hard to come by *and are pretty expensive*.

In the mean time I have the excellent Night Watch by Russian author Lukanenko (I may be mistaken the English spelling of the name) which has resently been relesesd in Bulgarian.
Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:03 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona
As I have said several times, MBotF is high on my list of books to read. Sadly the most prominent reason for not having read it yet is the fact that the translation of the book, according to several people who I respect and have read the book, is straight out so worse that it is making the book unreadable. And that sucks.

So I'll be looking for an English version of it pretty soon, and they are hard to come by *and are pretty expensive*.

Lady, I am almost thinking of purchasing the Canadian paperback versions so I can read ahead. Erickson already has Memories of Ice, House of Chains, and Midnight Tides written.

Malazan will be a refreshing experience for you. You can read this series in any order you want. You can even choose to skip books, as each novel has its own story-arc with an actual ending. You will become attached to characters from all sides of the War. Be warned though, well-developed characters you love will die in this series.
Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:55 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Well, it looks like an interesting series. I might pick it up if I can find it in the book store tomorrow.
Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:44 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Well, it looks like an interesting series. I might pick it up if I can find it in the book store tomorrow.

Gardens of the Moon is available in paperback. Not sure about Deadhouse Gates.
Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:38 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Memories of Ice - Synopsis

The ravaged continent of Genabackis has given birth to a terrifying new empire: the Pannion Domin. Like a tide of corrupted blood, it seethes across the land, devouring all – kingdoms and cities alike – who fail to heed the word of its elusive prophet, the Pannion Seer. In its path stands an uneasy alliance: Dujek Onearm’s Host and Whiskeyjack’s veteran Bridgeburners – each now outlawed by the Empress – alongside their enemies of old, including the grim forces of Warlord Caladan Brood, Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness, and his Tiste Andii, and the Rhivi people of the Plains. Outnumbered by the Seer’s army of fanatics and struggling to put aside their differences, it is vital they get word to potential allies, including an unknown mercenary brotherhood, the Grey Swords, who have been contracted to hold Capustan, the next city in the Domin’s path.

But more ancient clans too are gathering. As if in answer to some primal summons, the massed ranks of the undead T’lan Imass have risen. For it would appear something altogether darker and more malign threatens the very substance of this world. The Warrens are poisoned, and rumours abound of the Crippled God, now unchained and intent on a terrible revenge...

Marking the return of many key characters from Gardens of the Moon and introducing a host of remarkable new players, Memories of Ice is not only the momentous new chapter in Steven Erikson’s magnificent epic fantasy but also another triumph of storytelling.
Post Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:59 am
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I've just bought the fifth in the series. They're incredibly dense and are not a light read - you really have to pay attention to what's going on or you'll get lost . I'll have to re-read the first four to remember what's going on and who everyone is. They're well worth the effort, though.

What's with the cheesy book covers in the post above, though? They make this look like 'yer average sword and sorcery' novel, complete with babes in tin bras! The covers on the paperbacks I have are much more dignified and atmospheric.
Post Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:03 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Besides the ten books projected for the A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, Steven Erickson has a two novellas set in the the same world...

Blood Follows (2005)
by Steven Erickson
ISBN: 159780004X
Night Shade Books

All is not well in Lamentable Moll.

A sinister, diabolical killer stalks the port city's narrow, barrow-humped streets, and panic grips the citizens like a fever.

Emancipor Reese is no exception, and indeed, with his legendary ill luck, it's worse for him than for most. Not only was his previous employer the unknown killer's latest victim, but Emancipor is out of work. And, with his dearest wife terminally comfortable with the manner of life to which she asserts she has become accustomed (or at least to which she aspires) -- for her and their two whelps -- all other terrors grow limp and pale for poor Emancipor.

But perhaps his luck has finally changed, for two strangers have come to Lamentable Moll... and they have nailed to the centre post in Fishmonger's Round a note requesting the services of a manservant.

This is surely a remarkable opportunity for the hapless Emancipor Reese... no matter that the note reeks with death-warded magic; no matter that the barrow ghosts themselves howl with fear every night; and certainly no matter that Lamentable Moll itself is about to erupt in a frenzy of terror-inspired anarchy.... After all, it's work... and working is better than not working.

Isn't it?

First in a series of novellas taking place in the Malazan Empire.

The Healthy Dead (2005)
by Steven Erickson
ISBN: 1597800066
Night Shade Books

Things are going all too well in the city of Quaint. So well, in fact, that something has to be done. The zeal for goodness can be catastrophic, and no-one knows this better than Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, two stalwart champions of all things bad.

For the innumerable citizens of Quaint, driven to neurotic distraction and overwhelmed with good living, desperation breeds nefarious bed-mates, and before long the two homicidal necromancers -- and their beleagured and substance-addled manservant, Emancipor Reese -- find themselves ensnared in a scheme to bring goodness into disrepute, if not utter ruination.

To Reese's bemusement, laudable motivations are, in a bizarre twist, uncharacteristically relevant to Master Bauchelain, although, of course, the payment of a chest filled with gold helps.

Even so, sometimes, it turns out, one must bring down civilisation... in the name of civilisation.

The first of five projected Malazan novels by co-creater Ian Cameron Esslemont...

Night of Knives
by Ian Cameron Esslemont
ISBN: 1904619185
PS Publishing

It gave the Empire its name, but the island and city of Malaz is now a sleepy back-water port. This night its residents are barring doors and shuttering windows: a once-in-a-generation Shadow Moon has arrived and threatens to bring among them demon hounds and other, darker, beings.

This is also the night prophecied for the return of Emperor Kellanved, missing these last years. As factions within the Empire battle over the Imperial throne, the Shadow Moon summons a far more ancient and alien presence for an all-out assault upon the island, one that will determine the fate of the Malaz, and the entire world beyond.

Other Information:

The novel is set in the Malazan world, and is centred on a crucial event prior to Steve Erikson's novels (the assassination of the Emperor). Where Erikson's material leans towards the epic, NIGHT OF KNIVES is, in Erikson's words, "a microscopic shot, occurring entirely in 24 hours, and I loved it.

"Cam is one of my oldest friends," he continues. "When I write, I have an audience of once in mind, and it's Cam. Our styles are different, but the tone and atmosphere are very much the same. In his novel, the character of Temper is one I wish I'd invented."

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:41 pm