Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
As a Firemage, how am I supposed to kill the Trolls?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
moonshadow
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

As a Firemage, how am I supposed to kill the Trolls?

I donīt stand a chance against the Trolls. I tried some spells, but they donīt do much damage
So what should I do, or use, to make more dmg to the Trolls? Or is it impossible for a Mage to kill a Troll??
unless I wanna drink hundreds of mana potions and just keep firing magic over and over, sooner or later he should go down.
Gotta be an easier or better way, right?

help?
Post Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:38 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Summon something.
Post Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:17 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Another 2 word hint:

Shrink monster

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:07 am
SeekingEdge
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I killed trolls with fire arrow after luring them at the enterance of a cave where field riders had their nest near the mercenaries camp (Fester's quest).

I know it's a bit cheap because troll can't get into the cave, big and strong as he is and also stupid enough not to realize that he is pounded with ranged attacks (FIRE ARROW or better , good bow or crossbow) and still trying in his rage to get to me insted of retreating.
Post Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:21 am
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

If you want make it hot do it like a fighter. But you need more than a short sword

An interesting tactic is using the run, don't stop run, attack as you run and the hit happen a little after. You need to have in the eye the distance between the time you trigger the attack and when it comes.

The hit done, backward backward... the Troll will never punch you to throw you in the air and quick it let you some distance so you can repeat the run attack. The problem is that when you backward it could succeed a hit anyway even if it won't throw you in the air. So you need anyway have life/protection/attack good enough and have space to manage it. Agaisnt the normal Troll that's ok for a mage using the best staff, agaisnt the Black Troll that's another question. That said for a mage not using a summon is just for the fun.

About summon, try a goblin agaisnt a troll if you have a little luck it's hilarious and you'll be surprise how long the goblin can busy the Troll.
Post Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:30 pm
Pladio
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

You can kill normal Trolls at level 1 with a heavy branch, it might take a long time, but it's very easy to do.
If you're a Firemage, just use your meleee weapon and run around the troll,, hitting him every once in a while. You wil get spells that'll do enough dame against trolls later on.
Post Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:03 pm
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Dam strafing is working agaisnt a monster?? I got so many bad hits when trying strafe that I gave up this one. Nice idea to beat down the black troll. Of that doesn"t work against it?
Post Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:24 pm
Pladio
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Gotit
Dam strafing is working agaisnt a monster?? I got so many bad hits when trying strafe that I gave up this one. Nice idea to beat down the black troll. Of that doesn"t work against it?

If I understand what you mean correctly, then no, strafing might not work, that's not fast enough.(I think)
Running around the troll will.
Post Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:59 pm
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Ok I misunderstood, for me strafing isn't working nicelly but perhaps with speed or perhaps by doing like goblin ie strafing very near works but I never succeed.

Well the tactic you propose will require some training (when strafing/hit/strafing is very easy... but hardly works agaisnt many monsters) I'll try thr run arrond if I play a next char, paladin.

But run with obstacle is the easiest agaisnt Troll, that's why the one you met in notr area isn't that hard even for close combat.

Curently with my mercenary and normal troll. I rush to them, throw a series of 3 hits and they fall down before any reaction, quite funny.
Post Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:14 pm
moonshadow
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

guess my "Hero" is kinda slow then, 'cause I canīt "hit'n run", as soon as I get close to that darn thing, he throws me a couple of feet away

And as I said, i'm a Fire Mage, so whacking him with a sword or something is like throwing a fist into a stonewall.

But I'm gonna try the "shrink the monster" solution, perhaps that works, just gotta find me some of those spellscrolls then

Golems are giving me a hard time too btw.
Post Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:16 pm
ZiGz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

trolls are easy once you know how, even with really low strength. just keep running around the troll (NOT strafing. dont use the side movement keys), making him turn. run around till you're facing his ass, turn and wack 3-4 times while the troll is turning, then run around to his ass again. repeat as many times as necessary.
Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:58 am
moonshadow
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

dunno, maybe I should start a new thread..
well anyway, next Question:

HOW in the name of..something, do I kill the Stone Dragon? Seriously, itīs friggin' impossible. If I ever get a hit on him, it doesnt do any dmg at all..almost.
Had some small problems with the Swamp Dragon, but there I had the help of the other 2 guys. I'm all alone against Stonie, and I donīt stand a chance

Right now it sux to be a fire mage

btw, i'm playing NoTR, not the "original" G2.
Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:17 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
Summon something.

That hint is good for more than one monster

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:52 pm
moonshadow
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

summoning may work sometimes, but so far..not for me.
I tried to summon different monsters but they stand no chance against the Dragon.
And, I tried summoning against a demon, cause thereīs no spell that I know of that can do LOT of dmg on a demon, but even the monters I summon didnīt stand a chance against the Demon.
So, both dragons and the demons are giving me headache

any1 got a sweet solution?
Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:05 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Summon 2 demons!
Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:41 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next