Problems Radeon 9200 & Windows XP
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
gliche
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Problems Radeon 9200 & Windows XP

Hi everyone. I am a Gothic 2 fan. I love that game. I started out with Gothic 2 then got Gothic but I can't get Gothic to run. Crashes at startup. Gothic 2 still works perfect. I have seen many forums talking about this problem but none seem to help. I keep my computer up to date on everything. I have ATI Catalyst Drivers 4.9 and Windows XP Pro SP2 and DirextX 9.0c. I installed the 1.08k patch for Gothic. I still get the error that says, "X: XD3D_IntiPerDX: Can't create D3DX context ! Error: DDERR_UNSUPPORTED" Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:53 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there gliche,

Welcome to the forums,

The international version of Gothic 1.08j/k are allready pre-patched so you don't nead any patching. Also some players have problems with sp2 intalled.
Ensure minimal windows processes are running including anti-virus prog's, if the problem persists, come back with more system spec's so we can help.
Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:56 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Welcome to the forums!

Wulf is usually well informed, but not this time. Patch 1.08k fixes startup problems with Radeon 8500 cards, and a Radeon 9200 is nothing else than a R8500 with higher clock.
If this doesn´t fix your problem you could try the search function. I´m sure I have seen this error message before.

When the game runs make sure you also search for the "FPS patch" and how to get it running. Gothic can be seriously enhanced on today´s PCs. This makes a huge difference.
Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:03 pm
gliche
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks guys but I am still getting the same error even with the mod and fps patch. I searched to Forums and only found one more with that error and it didn't help me either. More system specs: Athlon XP 3000, 512mb Ram, 160gb HD. I am going reformat my HD soon. I will install it again after I do that, maybe that will help. Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well. Thanks again.
Post Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:07 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

O.k gliche,

I could be wrong but that error looks like a direct-x problem, but leave that for now. first thing is to get to the install menu for Gothic as if you were installing but select repair, any corrupted files will be repaired (which can also happen after a faulty save-game and bad first install) and existing saves will remain intact.
If you do re-format try not installing sp2 at the beginning just to see if there's any improvement, also try installing direct-x 8.0, first, you can over-install higher direct-x's later, but then that would maybe affect G2? - i assume that the game installed o.k? - - it's just a start-up problem?
Ideally i always like to know what motherboard model and version as well as chipset type, if you have no luck we will have to try other things.
It has been suggested to many players with these problems to try installing on another p.c just to confirm that the c.d itself isn't faulty.
Post Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:48 am