am new -- my guy won't fight
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
pormike
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

am new -- my guy won't fight

I just installed Gothic 2 and just left the tower .. I met a goblin and when I draw
my sword, I just stand there till the goblin kills me. I tried the "left ctrl" and "left mouse", but nothing happens ... he just stands there and dies. How can I get him to fight? Also, my game came with NO manual whatsoever ... is there anyplace I can go to download a barebones booklet explaining how to operate in this game? Thanks! pormike
Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:44 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Welcome to our forum!

Itīs probably no bug. You have to enter combat mode with space (last used weapon/spell) or one of the number keys. Then [Ctrl or LMB] combined with one of the 4 movement keys does different combat moves. You can find a detailed description in JemyMīs Gothic FAQ. Itīs almost the same in G2.
It looks clumsy in the beginning but it will become more fluent throughout the game because you can use it without thinking and because your char gets more skillfull.

Did you check if thereīs a pdf on one of the CDs?
Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:21 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Also, when you start to get the hang of it and level up, be sure to get 30% in 1handed weapon as soon as possible. It will make the combo when using ctrl + forward over and over much better and more fluent.
Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:35 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

When fighting you can keep Control or LMB pressed continiously and just press one of the arrow keys to make a strike.
At first many think you need to time it right and press LMB/control and one of the arrow keys simultaniously, of course that's the case but there's no need to release the control/LMB.
Keeping control/LMB pressed will just keep you locked on to one target, so if you want to run away or take on another target you have to release the button.
Post Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:20 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

quote:
Originally posted by Sem

Keeping control/LMB pressed will just keep you locked on to one target, so if you want to run away or take on another target you have to release the button.

That's not true for ranged weapons.....you can hold ctrl and then use the left or right arrows to swap to any targets in range.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:35 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Uriziel
That's not true for ranged weapons.....you can hold ctrl and then use the left or right arrows to swap to any targets in range.

I'm amazed by the complexity of this game. I've played it over ten times now and still learn new things. I guess I don't use ranged weapons enough.

Like yesterday I found a new dragonroot location, behind the lighthouse and a cave right next to the orc ram in the VoM, which I hadn't found before. It contained "Gorn's leather satchel", but I don't have a dialog option to tell him about it. Is there something special with it or can I just open it to cash in the gold?
Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:38 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
quote:
Originally posted by Uriziel

I'm amazed by the complexity of this game. I've played it over ten times now and still learn new things. I guess I don't use ranged weapons enough.

Like yesterday I found a new dragonroot location, behind the lighthouse and a cave right next to the orc ram in the VoM, which I hadn't found before. It contained "Gorn's leather satchel", but I don't have a dialog option to tell him about it. Is there something special with it or can I just open it to cash in the gold?

I think the "cave" you mention is not really a cave. It is just a ruin of a room present in G1. If you left Scatty and went to the nearest gate.....the cave/room is just to the left of the gate. It seems like I have found something in there while playing G2, but I don't remember wtf it was. If it WAS Gorn's sachet, I don't remember ever having a quest/dialog with him about it.....for some odd reason I think I gave him his sachet in ch.5-6, but I really don't remember. I'm playing the addon but have'nt been to the room. Now I'll have to make a special trip

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:44 pm