The BioWare Dilemma - Editorial @ WarCry
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

The BioWare Dilemma - Editorial @ WarCry

WarCry's incomparable Joseph Blancato brings out some interesting facts re Star Wars successes in the movies versus the video games in his rather educational <a href="http://www.warcry.com/scripts/columns/view_sectionalt.phtml?site=15&id=404&colid=7332" target="_blank">editorial</a>...
<br>
<br><blockquote><em>The series is finally done, the critics have spoken, and so have all your friends. Revenge of the Sith has landed firmly in the “meh” sector as far as movies go, and the first two Star Wars prequel movies were only slightly north of Battlefield: Earth on the suck-o-meter. From Anakin’s completely unsubtle lamenting to the excessive saber fights, Episodes 1 through 3 didn’t soar as high as the originals. It’s not all bad, though; we’ve been treated to three great Star Wars stories, and none of them required dealing with sticky floors and eight-year-olds kicking your chair.
<br>
<br>Three companies, under the watchful eye of LucasArts and The Man himself, managed to create three of the most engrossing Star Wars stories (and best video games) of all time. KOTOR was so good, it sold Xboxes when owning an Xbox meant you were a sucker who didn’t mind your consoles erupting into flames. Jedi Knight 2 showed the world you didn’t need the star of the story to be a symbol of human virtue; Raven gave the digital equivalent of Han Solo a light saber and stole everyone’s heart in the process. Raven, Obsidian, and Bioware did it better than Lucas, and they didn’t even need James Earl Jones. How’d they do it? Outside of the oft-complained “Lucas can’t write” scapegoat, one reason is the most prominent. </em></blockquote>
Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:15 am
knight37
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Three Word Comment

HAN. SHOT. FIRST.
Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:18 am
Douglas Mcc
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

"The series is finally done, the critics have spoken, and so have all your friends. Revenge of the Sith has landed firmly in the “meh” sector as far as movies go"

So, maybe its just me, but when do: 1.) 82% rating of national critics on Rottentomatoes.com, 2.) 8.0 overall rating on IMDB, and 3.) 270 million in 14 days rate a "meh"?!? I hate it when idiots try to turn their own opinions into fact to further their tirades. Opinions seem to point to ROTS being a great movie. Is it as great as A New Hope or Empire? No, it could never be.. there is too much history and fandom trappings that could never be overcome. Is it better than Jedi? In my opinion, yes. I will only agree with 2 points made in that so called editioral and this thread: 1.) there have been 3 amazing stories told in the Star Wars gaming world. 2.) HAN DID SHOOT FIRST. Everything else is trite saber rattling for no other reason than the author likes to hear (or in this instance see) himself talk.

Last edited by Douglas Mcc on Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:44 am
knight37
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What i think it ludicrous is that he somehow thinks JK2 has a superior story line than the movies. I mean... no way. It's a video game. It's interactive and that makes up for not having such a great story, but come on. Now I can't say much about KotOR or KotOR2, I haven't finished those.

Oh yeah.

HAN. SHOT. FIRST.
Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:27 am

Spoilers of kotor follow:

Kotor 1's story was good for a game, but when compared to movies or books it is not good. I didn't even really like it that much for a game. It was too neat and tidey and things like the sandpeople's history is just stupid and way to coincedental. Kotor 2's story wasn't enough to keep me playing past the horrible and way to easy combat, but the first one's story was enough to keep me going till the end.

But I think I'm somehow less jaded than everyone with the new three films since I wasn't a star wars fan until the clone wars. And I actually liked phantom menace, but maybe thats because I saw it on video and heard nothing but how much the movie sucked. I thought it was pretty good. I didn't even mind jar-jar. I would of saw it in the movies but it came out when I wss in kosovo so I missed the chance.

I think return of the sith is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. But maybe I have a different taste in movies than most. I think pitch black was great and cronicles of riddick was horrible, most people think I'm wrong there. I think punch drunk love is one of the funniest movies of all time. The last boyscout is bruce willis best movie, and high planes drifter is clint's best. I alos love a knight's tale, braveheart, and predator and think they are how action movies should be done. I like alot of jet li movies but think he was best in leathal weapon 4. I'm not a big fan of this new cinematic flying with ropes king-fu as in crouching tiger hidden dragon and the flying daggers. Etc.
Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:47 am

Lucky Day

I'm not even sure what this guy is talking about.

I hadn't heard good things about JK2 until this guy came along. I myself can't say anything about it because I haven't played it.

Yeah, Han shot first. He was a scoundrel. It was meant as an establishing shot. George started thinking he was Gene Roddenberry for some reason. When these hippies get old they seem to lose touch with anything interesting.
Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:35 pm

Actually, both the movies and the games have had some ok stories. JK2's story was pretty ok (though the whole well of the force deal seems kinda meh - the gameplay is solid and easily tops most action titles). The KoTOR series have pretty strong stories (though KoTOR 2 gets crappy about 75% of the way through). I would say the dialog of the games are actually better written than what we get in the new trilogy (and sometimes even better voice acted) since its aimed at (ironically) an older audience.
Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:49 pm