Members
Usergroups
Mercantile Skill
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Grimthryd

Mercantile Skill

How does one raise this short of finding a trainer? I have bought and sold a lot, but nothing. Or do you have to try persuasion? Basically risking pissing them off more than raising their view of you when you begin. Like maybe going back to the starter vilage and doing it there for a while.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 5:49 pm

EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

This skill is the easiest to raise. I started at 5 and now its higher than my longblade skill.

Every time you sell something, use the up/down arrow to adjust it. At first only jack the price by a gold (and don't exceed half of what the item's actually worth) piece. Later on you can get the full half. Later on you can get 4/5th value. Every time you buy something take the price down by a gold at first. Later on you can go much lower. I bought a 10,000 gp sword for 4200 with a 45 skill. Don't know how much lower I could have gotten with my now 80.

Don't worry about every time you offer and they refuse losing a reputation point with them. When you leave the dialogue screen and come back all temporary losses and gains are erased. Only permanent losses or gain by persuassion attempts or bribing remain.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon May 20, 2002 5:55 pm
Grimthryd

Mercantile Skill

Thanks, this helps a lot. And thanks for the prompt reply, Xen.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 6:06 pm

Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

I don't really think this skill is really required, other than in role playing terms. After you pass a certain point in your play you have more money than is ever required. Most items dropped by Daedric monsters are valued very high and with smart thinking (even your merchantile skill is low) you can sell them for good amount of gold.

I have floors full of stolen and battle gained stuff, honestly more than for a million gold pieces worth. I sell them when I need money, I recall selling items valued 140k for just a mere 5k because I know that the high valued items can be found easily.

In this area, the game has a lot to desire for.

P.S. I am 30th level at the moment, and my merchantile is around 10 or so
Post Mon May 20, 2002 6:18 pm
Pinthar

Merchantile Skill

Yeah, all your have to do is barter a little less for what you purchase, and a little more for what you sell. Even if the merchant says no, keep pressing the sell button until he relents. Eventually your merchantile skill will increase, and you will be able to barter to your advantage, and you can become a masterbarter.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 8:28 pm

Morandil
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

If you really want to raise your Mercantile skill, sell items (and barter them) individually. If you have three Potions of Rising Force, sell them one at a time and barter. This will give you three successes instead of just one, therefore raising your skill three times as fast (or whatever).
Post Tue May 21, 2002 3:52 pm