Internet & MMORPG Addiction
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
rusty731
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Internet & MMORPG Addiction

I just got done reading an article on internet and MMORPG addiction, http://www.gamergod.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=174 and it got me to wondering.

Just how bad is internet and MMOG addiction, really? I mean, you have millions of people that sit and watch tv or read a book for hours on end and you don't see the mainstream public complaining about that, but when it comes to the internet and gaming, there are tons of articles and studies done that say that surfing the internet or gaming for hours on end is bad for you.

Personally, I'd rather sit at a pc and game then sit in front of the tv.
Post Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:54 pm
Ugly_Prayer
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

It is not the "THING" which is stared at - per se... It is simply a matter of the thing being something: NEW. Are you familiar with the "100th Monkey Theory?
The "Monkey Theory" reveals so much. Sadly, it is a true reflection of Humanity throughout time. Save for: THE FEW! God bless the "FEW." Save for the "FEW" we would now be huddled around a simple campfire in a cave somewhere hoping with all our simple might that we do not f-ing freeze to death.
This is a tribute to both the intelletual realm, as well as, good common sense.
But you gotta have that "mystery number" of monkees to make it "STANDARD."
be well budd
d. lee
Post Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:54 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Ugly_Prayer, it would be nice if you could provide a quick summary or introduction to the "100th monkey theory."

Rusty, it is can be quite bad to be addicted to the internet and MMORPGs.

I myself was an addict to EQ a number of years ago when I was 18, fresh out of high school, and it first came out. I was hooked for 6 months, and a lot of things in my life started to deteriorate, and my friends online seemed more real than my friends in real life. It sounds strange, and in a way, it is "abnormal." Thankfully, EQ got so boring, so redundant, and terrible at that point that with the help of parents and friends, I was able to quit. And I went into a long remission phase. It took nearly a year before I lost any trace of desire to want to play EQ or other MMORPGs. I knew something was wrong when my thoughts always centered on EQ.

Watching TV or reading books can be as much of an addiction, but I'd say the difference with books is that you pull information out of them rather than having information pushed on you, so it requires more interaction, and the skills acquired with reading can be applied to many other things in life, like general learning and writing. These have broad applications. When I watch TV, I almost never feel my mind stimulated. When I am reading, I have to create all the images, feelings, and experiences from the book. I think playing games is like this too. Your interaction is also creation of the ongoing game story..
Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:33 pm
Ugly_Prayer
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

[quote="Namirrha"]Ugly_Prayer, it would be nice if you could provide a quick summary or introduction to the "100th monkey theory."

I'll let people far smarter than me explain it.

http://www.wowzone.com/monkey.htm

It is fascinating. There is nothing sweeter and more interesting than good BS! I should know, I was raised on the stuff.
be well budd
Post Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:02 pm