FATE: Interview @ RPG Codex
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

FATE: Interview @ RPG Codex

The Codex has whipped up an <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=120" target="_blank">interview</a> with Travis Baldree from WildTangent about 'FATE'. Here's a question on pets:<blockquote><em><b>3.) Fate features pets who not only fight with you, but can also haul treasure up and sell it for you. Can you tell us a little bit about the inspiration for pets? Any particular thing about the pets that you feel makes them interesting?</b> <br> <br>Pets are really inspired by the classic roguelikes. I couldn't quite get in teaching your dog to steal for you, so instead, I really focused on polymorphing and features to remove tedium. Being able to transform your pet into other creatures with fish is pretty rewarding and fun, and adds some strategy to a lot of the battles. </em></blockquote>
Post Fri May 27, 2005 3:15 pm
Lucky Day

I'm disappointed there's no mention of the Spyware that comes with Fate in this interview.
They talked about it on codex when Fate was first released but this Developer has never responded to it and they've never held him in account for it.
You would think with the Codex's level of cynicism they would be all over it.
Post Fri May 27, 2005 3:19 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Day

Naa, that only applies to cheap ignorant remarks congratulating themselfs of Troika's demise.

That "Exitium" guy is particulary hilarious. The definition of a great RPG to him is the Diablo series, and he can't wait for Hellgate: London...
Post Sat May 28, 2005 12:38 pm

Not everyone at the codex share exitium's definition of what makes a quality crpg. Generally, opinions vary pretty wildly there.
Post Sat May 28, 2005 9:08 pm

exitium is not rpgcodex
exitium is an idiot
he's got power there because he made a shitty graphic design for the site
Post Sun May 29, 2005 6:20 pm

Saint_Proverbius
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
I'm disappointed there's no mention of the Spyware that comes with Fate in this interview.
They talked about it on codex when Fate was first released but this Developer has never responded to it and they've never held him in account for it.

Yeah, he did. He said they don't use Spyware anymore but if we don't trust the webdriver stuff we could remove it. He even provided instructions on how to remove it. Pretty sure that was on RPG Codex he did that.

The main reason I didn't ask that is because it'd be a waste of a question. If there's not Spyware in it, he'd just say there's not. If there was, he'd probably say there's not as well considering that's what the company has been saying on the official forum.

It's basically a "Do you beat your wife?" question. It'd be like asking D.W. Bradley if he's aware he's a hack. Either he's not aware he is, or he is and won't admit it. Either way, you've wasted a question and won't get an answer.

Oh, and even if they are telling the truth that they no longer deal in Spyware, a lot of people have their minds made up on the subject anyway. So, there you have it.

quote:
Naa, that only applies to cheap ignorant remarks congratulating themselfs of Troika's demise.

Apparently you didn't read the comment thread which was pretty much Exitium vs. the rest of RPG Codex over that NO MORE FREE RIDES stuff. The vast majority of people over at RPG Codex actually liked Troika's games.
Post Sun May 29, 2005 7:35 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Saint_Proverbius
Apparently you didn't read the comment thread which was pretty much Exitium vs. the rest of RPG Codex over that NO MORE FREE RIDES stuff. The vast majority of people over at RPG Codex actually liked Troika's games.

Yes, I read the comments (I'm a registered user at the Codex forum).
What I know is that a videogames website actually featured several newsposts of the lowest degree possible regarding a videogames company, one whose games I enjoyed by the way. I can't see what's particulary fun about having a group of talented people going to unemployment.
He (but not only him) bashes pretty much every RPG ever made. All these time I wondered what RPG games they really enjoyed (since they're supposed to be an RPG website, at least it's in the title of the website), since they bash pretty much every release, until I finally figured recently: the Diablo series, and the upcoming Hellgate: London, a FPS under the "disguise" of a RPG. And now Fate, a Diablo clone...

If Exitium is an idiot don't let him post on a "mature" website about RPG's.
Post Sun May 29, 2005 9:42 pm

roqua1

RPGcodex is far from mature, and if no idiots posted on it there would be no posters, including my posts also. You could argue that we're all idiots for wasting our lifes away playing video games instead of doing something constructive like buying prostitutes and heroin and beating up NYY fans. Something with a little pazaz and panache; something you can tell your grandkids about with a proud smile and fond memories (other than a city building statues for your party in BG 2).

But argueing with SP is really a waste of time. He doesn't understand the difference between an rpg an a TBS and he thinks Diablo is an rpg. To each their own. But I figured I might as well save you some time typing futile posts when you could better spend your time buying prostitutes and doing heroin and beating up NYY fans since I doubt your grandkids will want to hear about rpg posts that go no where.
Post Mon May 30, 2005 4:28 am

Saint_Proverbius
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
What I know is that a videogames website actually featured several newsposts of the lowest degree possible regarding a videogames company, one whose games I enjoyed by the way.

Hey, Exitium posts what he wants. Vault Dweller posts what he wants. Spazmo posts what he wants. I definitely post what I want. If you disagree with something, that's fine. I've disagreed with the news posters there and I comment accordingly.

That's the whole point, by the way. We do commentary. You don't have to agree with it, or even like it. If you don't like someone else's opinion, tell them about it. Call them an idiot if you want.

quote:
I can't see what's particulary fun about having a group of talented people going to unemployment.

In the end, it was Troika's decision to close.

quote:
He (but not only him) bashes pretty much every RPG ever made.

Well, that's because even a lot of the decent ones that have come out over the last couple of years have been plagued with problems. You can enjoy a game and still notice there's faults to it. Just because it's fun doesn't mean it's perfect in every way.

In terms of Troika's games as an example, I enjoyed ToEE's combat but didn't like the overly large dungeon. I enjoyed Bloodlines' side quests, but didn't like the linear story mission scheme and many of the missions associated with it. I liked Arcanum's dialogue and setting, but I hated the STEAM character system.

quote:
All these time I wondered what RPG games they really enjoyed (since they're supposed to be an RPG website, at least it's in the title of the website), since they bash pretty much every release, until I finally figured recently: the Diablo series, and the upcoming Hellgate: London, a FPS under the "disguise" of a RPG. And now Fate, a Diablo clone...

Yup, let's just ignore the praise for Jeff Vogel's games on there, or Gearhead, or Prelude to Darkness, or Teudogar, and so on. All those great games that get a showcase on RPG Codex for being pretty damned good that have nothing to do with Diablo.. Because it's all about the Diablo clones!

Man, how come I never noticed that?! What a keen insight you have.

quote:
If Exitium is an idiot don't let him post on a "mature" website about RPG's.

Because your definition of "mature" is the same one junior high school girls use, maybe.

quote:
Originally posted by roqua1
He doesn't understand the difference between an rpg an a TBS and he thinks Diablo is an rpg.

Hey, it's that guy who said not to buy any action CRPGs because they'll all crappy - except Dungeon Lords, because D.W. Bradley put his name on it.
Post Mon May 30, 2005 4:50 am
Lucky Day

Thanks for your reply SP.

It was on their own forums that I read the developer was giving instructions how to remove the spyware if they wanted. What I think they are trying to do is get it past as many people as they can. One deceptive way they've done it has been through AOL's Instant Messenger which doesn't warn you its installing it. I've found it the other day on one girl's PC I work with.

I realize its a "Do you beat your wife kind of question" to ask but its a useful one. Its the kind of questions Lawyers, Politicians, and Reporters ask all the time. Its the kind of question that brings the idea to the readers head no matter what hte response is.

The interviewee will have to answer the question and occaisionally they will blunder. For example if you search their forums on Spyware at one point they start attacking Spybot's creator which is hilarious. Too often we hear complaints of bias reviews from websites that receive advertisements. I feel what is going on at the codex is they are blinded that a developer is answering questions and it is a fun game - with a poisoned pill.

As it is all this coverage of that product only furthers the spread of the spyware.
Post Mon May 30, 2005 7:52 am

Saint_Proverbius
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
I feel what is going on at the codex is they are blinded that a developer is answering questions and it is a fun game - with a poisoned pill.

Since when has RPG Codex ever been inpressed with a developer giving an interview? The worst they could do is say, "Nah, you guys are fags!" or something. That's fine, that means I don't have to think up questions, wait for a reply, and then format it up for posting.

Interviews with smaller developers are pretty easy to come by, frankly. They don't have the notoriety of a big name or label, so they're pretty eager to do them. I actually prefer to do interviews with the smaller developers, because they often have more to say.

But yeah, it's a fun game. If I hadn't played it, I never would have asked for the interview in the first place.

As for the spyware thing, I doubt you'd get much of an answe in an interview other than the company line, true or not. Like I said, even if they said there wasn't, and it was true, the majority of people who'd want that question have already made up their minds about the subject anyway.
Post Mon May 30, 2005 9:16 am

quote:
Because your definition of "mature" is the same one junior high school girls use, maybe..

You just confirmed what I mentioned above with your reply. Thank you.
Post Mon May 30, 2005 9:20 am

Saint_Proverbius
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
You just confirmed what I mentioned above with your reply. Thank you.

You're the one that chose to get condescending first. It's a little too late to pretend you're on the high ground here.

Of course, that does fit nicely with my junior high school girl statement with the whole I can be snotty all I want, and if I'm called on it, I'll question their maturity! bit.
Post Mon May 30, 2005 9:54 am

quote:
You're the one that chose to get condescending first. It's a little too late to pretend you're on the high ground here.

Of course, that does fit nicely with my junior high school girl statement with the whole I can be snotty all I want, and if I'm called on it, I'll question their maturity! bit.

You're the one that made the "high school girl" remark, and then you wonder why I question your maturity? Last time I checked I didn't make a personal attack on you...
This doesn't surprise me really, based on the type of comments posted as "news" on your website. From the already mentioned Troika bits, to calling "retards" and idiots to reviewers of another websites, it's nothing new.
It's pretty funny, for a website with very few actual reviews/previews or original content, I guess linking to other websites already takes much of your precious time.

Anyway, I'm not going to waste any more time with you.
Post Mon May 30, 2005 12:00 pm

Saint_Proverbius
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Here's a fun little tip: The only people that are worried about maturity are those people who aren't.

How very ZEN!
Post Mon May 30, 2005 6:51 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next