Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
World of Morrowind vs world of Gothic 2!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
xiphos

yeah?

all my friends say "Gothic1" is small
huh?
Gothic1 is just HUGE - if you walk around actually playing it like an RPG and not a FPS - it's just collosal in size and there IS SO MUCH IN IT - everywhere you look, you want to go in there and find out (although once you do, you wish you'd forget it and experience it again)
in Morrowind, there's so many things that are exactly the same, it's like being an outsider to the window of someone elses' living room
with Gothic1 I do NOT experience that

Morrowind is just one empty looking space looking like ANOTHER empty looking space
the only time I went "wow, what's that?" is when I saw the barrier - which suspiciously looked like the barrier in Gothic1

I was, to put it lightly, not amused
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:40 pm

Nael
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Val
There's an easy way they can do that. Make the place you are on an island.

Every landmass is an island to some extent
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 6:21 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

No.

Unless you're only refering to Earth.
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:52 pm
FlipMoeJack
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

size does matter

To me, size does matter. I loved Morrowind's large size. You could if you wanted it to, create your own home in a barren wasteland, or anywhere else away from the world, and actually feel like you are far from civilization.

The AI in Morrowind should have atleast been equal to that of Daggerfall, but bleh. The AI sux definatly.

Also the great thing of the infinite sea of Morrowind, is that it allowed gamers to create more and more islands, constantly. There was no end to Morrowind's world.

I also disagree that Gothic's graphics were better than Morrowind. That is not true. I have played both for a long time, and Morrowind surpasses Gothic in graphics.

Hopefully Gothic 2 will look better than Morrowind, cause I really enjoyed the AI, and I can only imagine the AI getting better in Gothic 2.
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:28 am
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

Well, yes. A lot more attention was paid to Morrowinds' graphics. Unfortunately some feel it's the only thing they paid attention to... and even so a lot of graphics bugs exist if you look for them.

The poly count in Gothic 2 I believe will be higher and the overall graphics engine will be improved. Regardless... as long as it's not worse than Gothic 1 I'm still anxiously waiting.
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:52 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Erb Duchenne
Well, yes. A lot more attention was paid to Morrowinds' graphics.

I would rather say that Gothic is 14 months older than Morrowind. In March 2001 GeForce 3 cards were brandnew and not widely available. Most people had TNT2 graphics cards. A decision to support DirectX8 features would have been commercial suicide.
Nowadays they have the technology (their sister company Codecult was nVidia launch partner for the GeForce4 ==> Codecreatures benchmark), but a new engine would have (a)been far more expensive (b) increased development time and (c) would have thrown away the know how they got with the old engine.
The graphics for sure will look better than Gothic, and thatīs enough for me.
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 7:53 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

graphics are important. i love to play a good looking game. but gameplay trumphs graphics everytime. if your universe looks great but is boring...well then you have mw (and i think if we are all really honest with ourselves we'll be forced to admit that if nothing else mw was repetitive). i think one of the areas where gothic out shines mw is in its plot. sure, mw was "open." but, all that openess seemed to quickly turn into me spinning my wheels. you never get anywhere in mw. you can join whoever you want, but that doesn't make any difference in the world at large. become the grand master of some guild...and only the members of that guild seem to care. not that they will actually do anything for you, rather they will slightly change their verbal responses to your presence (i.e. it is a pleasure/honor to meet you vs. some snide comment about how you don't belong). see what i mean...sure it is open but all that equates to is other npcs not responding to any choices you make. whereas in gothic, you piss off the wrong person and half the camp knows it. join one camp and the others respond accordingly. in gothic you matter. what you choose to do actually affects the world surrounding you. can anyone honestly say this about mw? i know i can't.
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:08 pm
oldtimer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
the other problem with morrowind is that it runs like a beat up pinto with no wheels & 250,000 miles. i have never played a game that is as choppy. when i am in a town i feel like my character is always coughing, gagging & stalling. it is awful . this wasn't an issue with gothic at all. there was just as much going on around me (if not more, the ai in gothic blows mw out of the water) & my machine never chocked up. also, i don't see any difference in graphics. except for the water, i enjoy the graphics in gothic much more than mw. see size isn't the only difference, game play can make or break a game.

I would like to both agree and disagree with this post. I played Morrowind before gothic and with a fast enough video card I never had any choppiness, And the load between areas was just a slight hiccup. Also with a good video card with pixel shading the graphics blow away Gothic. Now having said that I believe Gothic is the superior game for a couple of reasons. First of all the quests, they are linear but challenging. Most of the time in Morrowind it's about finding the place to go. Once you get there it's hack and slash and your done. Secondly armor and weapons mean something here. In morrowind I was running around in full daedric with magical weapons that I enchanted myself. By 10th level I was pretty much unbeatable and thats without any cheats. In gothic your weapons and armor seem more dear and hard fought, there are many missions I have completed without having to kill the toughest creature by using my wits. So I would say game play has won out in the end and hopefully programmers out there will finally learn the word playability.
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:12 pm
Kado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Gothic's world is much smaller than Morrowind's...we all know that by now. But the thing that gets me every time with Gothic is that the NPCs actually 'seem' to be real people. Sure every once and a while you'll see a guy hammering outside at midnight and think "What the.." but other than little things like that Gothic made me feel 'at home' in the colony. When Diego showed up and actually gave a crap, the first time I played I felt in debt to him so I joined the OC.

In Morrowind the NPC's aren't that bad. But I would have like a little more reaction out of them. If I become the head of one guild and then go to another I should (a) get tossed out or (b) lose respect with another guild. If I lead one...I don't think I should join another. Graphics are awesome and the sheer amount of basically useless, but fun, things you can do are almost endless.

Overall I thought Gothic's world had much more depth. But if there is an Elder Scrolls 4...and if they stabalize the graphics engine and mix it with Gothic's atmosphere then that would be a 'perfect' game IMO.

{By the way...for you people who want something kind of like that check out Project Ego. I'll put the URL here as soon as I can dig it out of my favorites. Very promising!}
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:21 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Oh nooo, another discussion whether MW is better or Gothic is more superior. IMO every games is lacking something, and even in future no games is perfect to every individual preferences.

Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 6:41 pm
Gothic7
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by goofy goldfish

IMO every games is lacking something, and even in future no games is perfect to every individual preferences.

i've only played one game i thought was perfect: Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 6:52 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Gothic7
quote:
Originally posted by goofy goldfish

IMO every games is lacking something, and even in future no games is perfect to every individual preferences.

i've only played one game i thought was perfect: Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Everything prefect?, 100%?, it's rare indeed. But still, "...no games is perfect to EVERY individual preferences," right?

Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 7:07 pm
Vilgefortz the mage
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

But some games are perfect to more players than other

=Member of the RPGDot Warriors=
=Member of the Worshipers of the Written World=
=Member of the RPGDot Shadows=
=Loyal mage of the Alliance of Middle-Earth=
=Member of the Sixth House=
=Member of the Gothic Novel Writers=
=Member of the Nonflamers' Guild=
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 8:03 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

I have 3 Perfect(100%) games (A) Gothic (B)Quest For Glory 5 (C) Grim Fandango
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 10:35 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Lucky you.
I donīt know a single perfect game. Every game I ever played had some flaws: too long/short, too easy/unfair, underdeveloped story, unbalanced weapons, style breaking riddle sequences, below average graphics, annoying music, bad German translation (unfortunately this is normal ), inconsequent controls,...
Nevertheless, IMO itīs better to have a weakness somewhere and excel somewhere else than being as average as all those generic shooters or RTS games. "Interesting" is IMO more important than "good", for example Hitman is probably not the best sneaker/shooter out there, but it compensates the complicated controls and the unfair ending with a unique atmosphere, a brilliant pace (sudden change between sneaking and fast action) and a damn cynical protagonist.
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:04 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next