MMORPG Questionnaire - Take The Plunge!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Darkspur
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

MMORPG Questionnaire - Take The Plunge!

Ive drawn up this little questionnaire in order to get some general feedback from MMOG players. There are 10 questions and I’m hoping that people will answer them honestly. Simple “yes” “no” answers will suffice. I’ll be checking back regularly to see the progress of the thread and I will publish the results on a website in a couple of weeks.

I realize these questions are somewhat provocative and im hoping forum mods will let it live 

Online MMORPG Questionnaire

1) Have you ever sold in-game currency through an auction site or directly to a company or individual?
2) Have you ever sold a MMORPG/MMO game account through an auction site or directly to a company or individual?
3) Have you ever subscribed to a cheat/exploit forum or website?
4) Have you ever profiteered from the use of bugs/exploits for items, levelling, in-game currency or real world monetary gain?
5) Have you ever attempted to “scam” other players through misrepresentation of an item or trade related bugs/exploits?
6) Have you ever sexually harassed another player, or group/type of player(s) over a long period?
7) Have you ever used racial slurs against an individual, or group/type of player(s) over a long period?
Have you ever organised, or helped organised a large scale attack on other players based on their sexuality, language or nationality?
9) Have you ever represented yourself as an official company representative in order to “scam” other players? I.e. falsely representing yourself as a GM?
10) Have you ever attempted to harm – emotionally, verbally or physically another player in the real world due to in-game events?
Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:24 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

erm... No to all questions

I have no problem with the questions you're asking, but I do wonder what the purpose of this survey is. Sounds to me as if you're looking to find out if the mmorpg community is racist and intolerant of other cultures, or sexist. I'm not sure that any such survey done on a message board would have any real meaning since it doesn't afford much anonimity Who would come here and post that he has done any of the things you mention there? I would suggest that you put up a web site where answers can be input anonymously and you might get better results.

I don't think that anyone who has ever spent any significant amount of time playing any mmorpg would say that the community is as bad as that, nor would it be as good as the answers might make it sound either It's generally a healthy mix of both.

If I may offer a suggestion, you might find out more if your survey would be asking these questions in another way: "have you ever experienced sexual harrassment in an online game?" Or: "Have you ever been witness to someone who was exploiting game mechanics for personal gains?". Although your first 5 questions are okay, the rest don't amount to anything unless you're trying to get a pschological profile on someone specific
Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:54 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

No to all questions. However, I will tell you that if you TRULY want to learn truths along these lines, you WILL need to learn a great deal about survey question writing and general survey methodologies first. Surveying is an extremely complicated artform.

I mean do you really expect something like the following: "Oh, my goodness, yess officer, I DID rob that bank. My mother always taught me to be honest when asked a question even if I was guilty of doing something wrong."
Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:45 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

umm No.
Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:55 pm
CrushDepth
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

1. nope
2. yup
3. nope
4. yup
5. yup
6. nope
7. nope
8. nope
9. nope
10. nope
Post Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:50 pm
Darkspur
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi guys, thx for the responses. Response to a few queries.

quote:
No to all questions. However, I will tell you that if you TRULY want to learn truths along these lines, you WILL need to learn a great deal about survey question writing and general survey methodologies first. Surveying is an extremely complicated artform.

I mean do you really expect something like the following: "Oh, my goodness, yess officer, I DID rob that bank. My mother always taught me to be honest when asked a question even if I was guilty of doing something wrong."

Its not meant to be a "scientific" survery. Its a bit of an experiment on my behalf. Ive posted this same questionnaire on half a dozen other forums hoping for a good overall response. But yup i take your point that it doesnt exactly follow the methods laid down by psych professors and others

quote:
I have no problem with the questions you're asking, but I do wonder what the purpose of this survey is. Sounds to me as if you're looking to find out if the mmorpg community is racist and intolerant of other cultures, or sexist. I'm not sure that any such survey done on a message board would have any real meaning since it doesn't afford much anonimity Who would come here and post that he has done any of the things you mention there? I would suggest that you put up a web site where answers can be input anonymously and you might get better results.

Actually the idea hit me while i was playing that hotbed of racial abuse and vilification known as Lineage 2 If you ever played L2 you'll know exactly what i mean. I thought id write up this little questionnaire and see the responses i get. So far i believe the majority of them to be pretty honest. After all there is no harm in answering any of these honestly, so why be dishonest?. There is a good chances ill post this again on my website at a later date.

In the meantime, many more responses would be appreciated..
Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:00 am
Darkspur
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Come on guys, keep the responses coming. Im going to make a more permanent home soon.
Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:46 pm
Bytespawn
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Another question...
Did you ever make use of a PvP area to lure a new player into it and then kill him? Uhhh.. yes
Post Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:22 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

1. No
2. No
3. For an MMO = No. For other games (i.e. SimCity, Age of Mytholigy ect.) = yes
4. No
5. No
6. No
7. No
8. Yes, but that was part of the game play in DAoC
9. No
10. Not yet, but some day I hope to.
Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:08 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

No to all.

With minor exception to 4. I've once profiteered a great deal from a trading bug, but on a test server, with an explicit intention to have a lot of money to test stuff that would be otherwise inaccessible to me. The bug was then reported and I was quite willing to return the money the devs asked for it. They never did.

I don't know if the last one would be a yes, maybe. I'm sure I sometimes tried to emotionally hurt the jackbutts behind some of the avatars I came across. But they deserved it.
Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:21 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

No to all except number 5. That wasn't for any personal gain, just a bit of mischevious humor and I never take anything.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:35 am
Tyko
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: MMORPG Questionnaire - Take The Plunge!

Online MMORPG Questionnaire

1) Have you ever sold in-game currency through an auction site or directly to a company or individual? Yes--EQ

2) Have you ever sold a MMORPG/MMO game account through an auction site or directly to a company or individual? Yes-EQ

3) Have you ever subscribed to a cheat/exploit forum or website? No

4) Have you ever profiteered from the use of bugs/exploits for items, levelling, in-game currency or real world monetary gain? Yes a small exp bug.

5) Have you ever attempted to “scam” other players through misrepresentation of an item or trade related bugs/exploits? No.

6) Have you ever sexually harassed another player, or group/type of player(s) over a long period? No,

7) Have you ever used racial slurs against an individual, or group/type of player(s) over a long period? No.

Have you ever organised, or helped organised a large scale attack on other players based on their sexuality, language or nationality? No.

9) Have you ever represented yourself as an official company representative in order to “scam” other players? I.e. falsely representing yourself as a GM? No.

10) Have you ever attempted to harm – emotionally, verbally or physically another player in the real world due to in-game events? No.
Post Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:45 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

A resounding "No" to all of those questions.
Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:08 pm
Otec Lightstrider
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

No to all. If I tried that in Star Wars Galaxies, I'd get banned faster then you can say "im sorry, ill never do it again....."
Post Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:48 pm