Usergroups
what r u playing right NOW?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
dr who
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

playing through Oblivion again as a pure Nord mage. Mostly sight seeing and exploring the world not really interested in doing the main quest again.
I have Dark Corners waiting in the wings.

Waiting for Titan Quest and tempted by HoMM 5.
Post Wed May 24, 2006 10:37 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by dr who
playing through Oblivion again as a pure Nord mage. Mostly sight seeing and exploring the world not really interested in doing the main quest again.
I have Dark Corners waiting in the wings.

Waiting for Titan Quest and tempted by HoMM 5.

Sorry to tell you this, but don't expect too much out of Dark Corners of the Earth. I finished it last week. Hopefully you'll enjoy it more than I did.
Post Wed May 24, 2006 2:44 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
I saw both Spellforce II and ROL @ Best Buy yesterday, and I grabbed SpellforceII, but left ROL. I think part of it is that I didnt particularly like Rise of Nations. It just didnt impress me when compared with say Empire Earth or even Age of Empires II, the feel of the game just wasnt there for me. I prolly should play the ROL demo, it's most likely nothing like RON.

ROL is awesome so far. Much better than Empire Earth or AOE. And no, it's nothing like RON.

Of course that's just my opinion. I prefer RTS games that have some fantasy or sci fi feel to them, as opposed to games that are based on world history.

Let us know how Spellforce 2 is. I gave Spellforce 1 a try awhile back, but I just couldn't get into it.
Post Wed May 24, 2006 2:55 pm
GTaher
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Stuck in Oblivion with the Elder Scrolls Blues

Still playing Oblivion (constant restarts for new mods, etc) but now HOMM V is getting a the majority of my playtime.

Such different experiences, but for me HOMM is more addictive (if less satisfying) gameplay.
Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:12 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Playing HOMMV, liking it, but kicking myself for getting the regular version, not waiting a few days and getting the limited edition which is on the shelves now with extra stuff. Oh well, we all have our crosses to bear I guess

We can all blather on about how much we like it, but there's some cons for me. The game just takes ages to play, and it can get pretty monotonous at times, both the combat aspect and the overland map. It just starts feeling like the same thing over and over with it's TBS play, as to where RTS hits you between the eyes with immediate situations that keeps it for lack of a better term.. suprising. The maps are just so loaded with stuff, yet soon it's pretty apparent it's all the same stuff. Another leprechaun, another fountain, another twinkling prize of some type or another to go grab, leading me thru like a squirrel picking up a trail of peanuts. Good thing it's such a good looking game with such personality and difficulty, or it would get boring pretty quickly. For a calculated, squeeze-out-every-action-point's-worth type game, there's missing info on the actual numerical results of some spells, there just seems to be a lack of basic info on some things that should be available at a glance.

But it's addictive, and Im liking it. Everytime I get bored and shut it down and think "that's it, Im burned out, I'll pick it up this weekend" I find myself playing it an hour later. That's the mark of a good game

I do have Spellforce II but havent played it yet, tho I want to. Bad news is, my old gaming buds contacted me and want to play some of all things, Starcraft! I cant believe it, but Im re-installing SC, getting ready I guess to go nuclear on some Zerg or something. Thank Dibella they are at least playing some WC3 too
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:51 am
booyah_boy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Do that and you'll "get your vampirism on" a bit more intensely, that's the bad thing about the game in the first place is that youre far too weak. At least Bloodlines was better about it, I never felt that I was seriously underpowered. Im not saying make yourself godlike in Redemption, but at least more vamp-like! Seriously, I cant quite remember what I boosted, but I remember it was like 100x more fun once I did it and was playing with some real power, but then again if youre near the end there's no use in doing that this late in the game..

Ah, well, it's too late now.
I finally completed the game, and - quite frankly - am disappointed, deeply.
Nowhere along the line did I find myself truly enjoying the game, and this from the predecessor of a game which boasts a position within my "favorite of all time" list (Bloodlines). It is a pity, however, I will not be holding onto this game long enough to play through once more, not even with a "100x more fun" factor that comes from pumped up statistics.
Thank you for the tip, however, xSamhainx. Sadly it came just a little too late...

Well, that much aside, it has been quite some time since last I visited this site, and thus, some time since I joined this thread. In that time...

Fable: The Lost Chapters / PC - I managed to complete the game, and, truth be told, actually enjoyed myself doing so. No, there is no great storytelling, no rich atmosphere, nor engaging plotline, and the combat is certainly repetitive, however, in a detached manner, I honestly had fun. Running around and killing what I wanted, transorming from good-looking to bad, and collecting some nice looking items, all seemed to balance out the fact that I was - more or less - playing a three-dimensional version of Diablo. Still, who didn't like Diablo?

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion / PC - I am done. That's right, I actually completed the game's central storyline, and made my way through almost every other facet of the game I wished to explore. All in all, it was a tremendous accomplishment (moreso on the developer's part then my own), and a title I am still giddy from having played. That is not to say that I am in favor of all the "advancements" made within such, however (no, I am not about to rant about the game's levelling system, or any other aspect), the overall experience was a good one.
I am considering playing through once more - as I did my initial run-through without any mods, many of which I have since come to acquire, including the official modifications - as a different race, and forestalling my more "evil" practices (thievery and the Dark Brotherhood), however, I will probably do so only when I have nothing else to do. As is, I am far too pumped awaiting some forthcoming titles (Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, The Witcher, Neverwinter Nights 2, Gothic III, etcetera).

Hitman: Blood Money / PC - Bloody heck, I love this game! While I was - at first - still disappointed to see that I could not control when 47 jumped (come on, the guy can do everything but jump on your command), that trifle soon faded into obscurity. From the first "tutorial" mission against the King of Swing, to the Mardi Gras celebration, and the game's conclusion (don't worry, no spoilers), it was sheer bliss for a long-time fan of the Hitman games. As is, I have now completed the game once and am running through it again...just to try some other means of, well, getting the job done.

Gothic II and Night of the Raven / PC - Yep, having given up on playing Gothic, I switched over to attempting to make my way through Gothic II - and it's expansion - instead. True, if I manage to succeed I will be missing out on a great deal of backstory, and ubdoubtedly be lost in certain areas (specifically, when interacting with character's from the first game who might make reference to such), however, that is a risk I am willing to take. That I seem to be having less difficulty with this game, thus far, I take to be a good sign...now if I could just make it out of the bloody tower and to Khorinis.

Also, I am finally through with GTA: San Andreas. While I finished the "storyline" long ago (as noted in my prior post), I kept such installed and ready-to-go lest I should ever get the urge to simply go flying down the highway in a NOS'd Banshee, or what have you. However, I chanced across a copy of GTA: Vice City (which I have not yet played) at a garage sale this weekend, and so, have now bumped the former off in favor of the latter. I have yet to actually play the game, but I should start by the end of the day (having absolutely nothing else to do today).

EDIT:
I invested roughly five hours into GTA: Vice City tonight, and I cannot say that it compares well with San Andreas. Perhaps it is the incredibly short missions, the bothersome lack of camera movement when in a car, or the tracers you see after every bullet...honestly, I'm not sure that any of said traits would be enough to warrant any disappointment on their own, however, together, they just seem to run down a good game.
Oh well, still, as long as I keep from comparing VC to SA, I'm having fun...although, at the rate I'm going, the game should be over within the next day or so...pity.

Last edited by booyah_boy on Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:09 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Played Warcraft III, lijke 5 games tonight with some old freinds of mine against some pc's. Was quite fun, i forgot what a convenient and well-designed RTS it is, It's just very user freindly, still in the top 5 RTS games Ive ever played after all these years and Ive played a lot of them.

It's all about the Mountain King, baby!

ALRIGHT WHO WANTS SOME!!!!!
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:09 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38