Unflexable MMORPG payment policies
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Chicknstu
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Unflexable MMORPG payment policies

I'd love to start a MMORPG, but i've found that they are very limiting in the way you can pay for your subscription.

Firstly, those who write '1 month subscription included' on the box are all liars. They still want a credit card number from you before they'll let you try the game, which is NOT printed on the box.

Secondly, a credit card seems to be the only way to pay. I don't want a credit card, i never want to own a credit card, therefore i am excluded from online RPG's. Anyone know an MMORPG that takes switch? Is my bank card not good enough for ya?!?

Finally, you have to sign up for a monthly subscription. So if you want to take a break from the game you have to unsubscribe, then resubscribe later, probably costing you your character in the process.

How about a game where you can purchase game-time as you go. or in stores as mobile-phone style top up cards. MMORPG's alienate a massive portion of potential players by having such specific and counterflexable payment methods

humph.....

p.s., if anyone seriously knows a good MMORPG that i can play without having a credit card, then let me know.

stu xxx
Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:18 am
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

Some boxes I've seen say you have to have a credit card to register, but they won't charge it for the first free month. I agree they should set it up so you either don't need a credit card at all if you use other payment methods (animal sacrifices, nubile young women delivered to their doorstep) or until you decide you will actually pay for the game.

Some bank cards work as credit cards even though they aren't, yours might work like this if it has a Mastercard or Visa logo on the front. That way it isn't really a credit card because it always withdrawls from your bank account. I've used such a card for a MMORGP before without issue.

Some of them will allow you to purchase playtime cards much like phone cards. I do not know, however, if they still require you to have a credit card number linked even if they never bill to it. My guess would be maybe.

Most games will save your characters for a specified amount of time. I have found that they may say 3 months, but really they just keep them forever. Two years after I quit ultima online they sent me an email saying my characters still existed if I had the urge to start playing again. So it is possible.

-vaticide
Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:40 am
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

You can buy gametime tickets atleast for UO and AO. No CC needed. Also for ww2ol you can pay through regular bank account transfer even. (i.e create a 3 month "bill" in ww2ol playnet and then pay it in your netbank - very neat)

Som mmogs dont have any other than CC as option. And it does exclude me out of them too. I aint gona get CC just to play online games.
Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:56 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by vaticide
Some of them will allow you to purchase playtime cards much like phone cards. I do not know, however, if they still require you to have a credit card number linked even if they never bill to it. My guess would be maybe.

No, when you purchase game-cards for a specific game they do not ask for a credit card. You just need to select the right payment method and you enter the game-card validation code, and you're all set.

I know that Ultima Online, EverQuest and Star Wars Galaxies offer this method. You just need to visit a local game retailer and ask them for one and they should have them.

quote:
Originally posted by Chicknstu
How about a game where you can purchase game-time as you go. or in stores as mobile-phone style top up cards. MMORPG's alienate a massive portion of potential players by having such specific and counterflexable payment methods

I didn't know UO and AO offered gametime tickets before Zakhal mentioned it. But I would wager those would be pretty expensive in the long term. I guess it would be good to try it out, but once you think you'll play for even more than 20hours in a month I guess it would be cheaper to subscribe.
Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:29 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
But I would wager those would be pretty expensive in the long term.

Heres som prices:

UO 3 months : 34,80 euros (11,6€/month)
AO 3 months : 46,80 euros (15,6€/month)

Looks pretty close to the montly subs. 12,95 dollars for UO and 14,95 dollars for AO if i remember right. UO is cheaper than usual due to the weak dollar. AO's price (been an euro game) is more close to the normal gametime ticket fee, 60 cents extra per month. Not much. (i.e 7 euros extra per year)
Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:43 pm
Chicknstu
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'm actually from the UK, and have never seen anything like that before! is there an online store or something?

Im hoping when warhammer online comes out they'll sell cards such as that in the games workshop. Would make sense.

stu
Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:49 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Here in Finland the tickets are been sold in regular computergame shops, local and online. Im pretty sure they sell them in UK too. Just check your local (or online) computergame retailer.
Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:01 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

@Zakhal
Oh! I thought you were talking about hourly chunks of playing time you could buy. Sorry for misunderstanding, but when I was mentioning game-cards that's exactly what I was referring to as well

quote:
I'm actually from the UK, and have never seen anything like that before! is there an online store or something?

I'm sure you could find them at any online store in your area. I don't know about the UK, but in Canada and the US any retailer (online or otherwise) offer them. I can think of EB Games for one, if you have them in the UK.
Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:02 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Hourly chunks? Yeah that might become costly.
Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:05 pm
Chicknstu
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000DK38P/qid=1074196004//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl63/104-7566025-5944730?v=glance&s=videogames&n=507846

Like this, for example..

but does anyone know a UK store where we can buy them? for any game at all? we always get left out

stu xx
Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:14 pm
Chicknstu
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

OK, i took a risk and got Star Wars Galaxies anyway, and guess what... you CAN use switch to pay!!! Suck on that Everquest, and every other MMORPG, cos here's one which knows there is actually a 'rest of world!'

In fact, you can pay with almost any card, in any currency, which i was very impressed about. How about making a sticky thread on this board where people can post info about prices and payment methods for mmorpg's?

stu
Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:23 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
In fact, you can pay with almost any card, in any currency, which i was very impressed about. How about making a sticky thread on this board where people can post info about prices and payment methods for mmorpg's?

That's a little hard to properly list, I think... Problem is that payment options might be different depending on where you live in the world. But if anyone can come up with a definite list of some kind I'd be willing to make it sticky.
Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:25 pm
Thormiel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: Unflexable MMORPG payment policies

quote:
I'd love to start a MMORPG, but i've found that they are very limiting in the way you can pay for your subscription.

Firstly, those who write '1 month subscription included' on the box are all liars. They still want a credit card number from you before they'll let you try the game, which is NOT printed on the box.

Why are they "liars"? With most games you don't need to pay for the first month (some have shorter time). SOE sure didn't charge me for that first month. So, what in that statement is a lie?

And why are people afraid of giving their credit card number in cases like this? Are they afraid of scams or something? Or because they don't have a credit card?
Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:21 pm